PDA

View Full Version : CA Supreme Court torpedoes Gay marriage ban

Tsa`ah
05-16-2008, 10:03 AM
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-gaymarriage16-2008may16,0,6182317.story

A four/three ruling. Of course now the judges that struck it down will be labeled as "activist" judges when they clearly ruled upon the constitutionality of said ban.

Viva la fourteenth amendment.

The more interesting result of this ruling will be how it impacts the general elections .... specifically an Obama/McCain match up.

Obama has clearly stated that he supports civil unions, but not a definition of marriage.

McCain has a very steep hill to climb on this one. He voted against the will of his party on this very issue and summarized his reasoning as a "state issue".

Gan
05-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Interesting indeed for this season's general election.

A Democrat (religious) who will not support a 'marriage' but only a union.

A Republican (religious) who will not address the issue in view of it being a state's rights issue.

I'm afraid this is going to send the religious right into apoplexy. Maybe they'll form a seperate party and get out of the GOP! (wishful thinking).

Parkbandit
05-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Isn't a civil union the same exact thing as a marriage, except in name only? I don't have a problem with it either way I don't think.

Clove
05-16-2008, 10:40 AM
Isn't a civil union the same exact thing as a marriage, except in name only? I don't have a problem with it either way I don't think.We have Civil Unions in Connecticut. Works fine.

Drew2
05-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Don't let Xaerve see this thread, he'll get into his whole shpeal about how gays are the new blacks of society.

That is to say, this is "seperate but equal" all over again.

Parkbandit
05-16-2008, 10:46 AM
I work with a lesbian couple and it's clear they have the same feelings for each other that a typical man and woman would have. Who cares if they get married? How is it really affecting my life?

Clove
05-16-2008, 10:47 AM
I work with a lesbian couple and it's clear they have the same feelings for each other that a typical man and woman would have. Who cares if they get married? How is it really affecting my life?Doesn't bother me, as long as they don't sneeze and spread their gay germs around.

Drew2
05-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Doesn't bother me, as long as they don't sneeze and spread their gay germs around.

Quoted before you could edit.

I shall spread some gay today on your behalf.

Deathravin
05-16-2008, 10:56 AM
wait... wait wait wait wait WAIT. PB... and I... agree? ... am I going to die?...

I'm just going to have to switch my position. No... Gays should be able to get married, I am personally offended. When I sleep at night all I can think about is how gays are all... being gay and married all the time... in the privacy of their own homes...

P.S. PB, that's hot... Lesbians rule.

Parkbandit
05-16-2008, 10:59 AM
wait... wait wait wait wait WAIT. PB... and I... agree? ... am I going to die?...

I'm just going to have to switch my position. No... Gays should be able to get married, I am personally offended. When I sleep at night all I can think about is how gays are all... being gay and married all the time... in the privacy of their own homes...

P.S. PB, that's hot... Lesbians rule.

These are not the lipstick kind of lesbians... trust me. But Donna is someone I will keep in touch with for the rest of my life... she's that special.

TheEschaton
05-16-2008, 11:49 AM
There's gonna be a whole slate of new constitutional amendments on the state ballots this Novemeber. It'll never be resolved til SCOTUS looks at it, and they'll never look at it because A) they're conservative, and B) despite their conservativeness, know the unconstitutionality of any such bans.

-TheE-

Tsa`ah
05-16-2008, 11:52 AM
Eh ... if elected, Obama has several opportunities to change the face of SCOTUS.

I don't think a round two of this wedge tactic is going to work again in any event.

TheEschaton
05-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Regardless of who gets elected, I think Ginsburg and Stevens are retiring. 2 of the 4 "liberal" justices left, even though Stevens is a Republican and put on the court by a Republican, he's just reasonable.

-TheE-

Gan
05-16-2008, 12:11 PM
Who cares if they get married? How is it really affecting my life?

Exactly.

Where's ClydeR when you need him.

(ROFL at Clove's gay sneeze germs)

ClydeR
05-20-2008, 02:03 PM
Where's ClydeR when you need him.

Oh, I'm here. I've been patiently watching and waiting for someone to say something intelligent enough to deserve a response, but that's taking way too long. I'll jump right in.

The California court decision should come as no surprise. It has always been part of the gay agenda to force acceptance of their lifestyle without involving the annoying distraction of the democratic process. Seven black-robed judges, unanswerable to anyone but their own depraved consciences (note the spelling, PB), have forced this big dictate down the throats of Californians and, because of the Full Faith and Credit requirement of the national constitution, possibly down the rest of our throats as well. This new court mandate will make it much more difficult to cure homosexuals, who will now think they aren't even sick.

You can already see the political fallout. Congressman Sam Graves (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Graves) of Missouri was in a close race for his re-election until the California court decision. He has a brilliant new ad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eipRbIwNuA) showing how his Democrat opponent will help Nancy Pelosi destroy marriage. He will probably win thanks to California.

Gan
05-20-2008, 02:15 PM
This new court mandate will make it much more difficult to cure homosexuals, who will now think they aren't even sick.

Quoting this in case it disappears in the upcoming carnage.

So homosexuals are sick now are they?

Exactly what illness do they have that makes them homosexual?

oldanforgotten
05-20-2008, 02:17 PM
It has always been part of the gay agenda to force acceptance of their lifestyle without involving the annoying distraction of the democratic process.

Just like it has always been a part of the Church Agenda to force acceptance of things like banning abortions, banning stem cell research, and banning the teaching of evolution despite the fact that the democratic voting of either would lead to a rebuke?

I'll bet now you folks try and discredit Einstein and his work too because he disagreed with the teachings of the Church.
________
Vaporgenie Vaporizer (http://www.vaporshop.com/vaporgenie-vaporizer.html)

CrystalTears
05-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Gan, you call on him just for enjoyment purposes, don't you? You're a sick man.

This makes me want to see the movie In and Out.
"Say I'm a little teapot.... haha, that was a trick!"

Goldenranger
05-20-2008, 02:37 PM
Seven black-robed judges, unanswerable to anyone but their own depraved consciences (note the spelling, PB), have forced this big dictate down the throats of Californians and, because of the Full Faith and Credit requirement of the national constitution, possibly down the rest of our throats as well.

In case you didn't know, justices of the Supreme Court of California are subject to retention votes by the voting age populace of California, in fact the Chief Justice is on the ballot for retention in two years. That's not what I would call unanswerable to anyone but "their own depraved consciences".

ClydeR
05-20-2008, 02:40 PM
In case you didn't know, justices of the Supreme Court of California are subject to retention votes by the voting age populace of California, in fact the Chief Justice is on the ballot for retention in two years. That's not what I would call unanswerable to anyone but "their own depraved consciences".

I know about the rubber stamp retention votes. It's hard to lose an election when you don't have an opponent.

Parkbandit
05-20-2008, 02:42 PM
So.. which liberal is posting as ClydeR...

Clove
05-20-2008, 02:45 PM
I know about the rubber stamp retention votes. It's hard to lose an election when you don't have an opponent.You mean like in 1986 when Chief Justice Rose Bird and Associate Justices Cruz Reynoso and Joseph Grodin were removed for opposing Capital Punishment?

CrystalTears
05-20-2008, 03:14 PM
So.. which liberal is posting as ClydeR...
Nu uh, he's a total Republican slut. He's all yours.

Gan
05-20-2008, 03:54 PM
Gan, you call on him just for enjoyment purposes, don't you? You're a sick man.

The funny thing is he never has the nuts to respond to any of my direct questions.

He just sticks with the questions that he has patent answers for, you know, the ones which dont require one to think. ;)

Parkbandit
05-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Nu uh, he's a total Republican slut. He's all yours.

Actually.. he's a liberal on this forum posting in another name as a Far Right Retarded Republican.

Stanley Burrell
05-20-2008, 04:23 PM
I hate when I'm with chicks eating sushi and some gay guy with ridiculous fucking muscles walks by and the women are like, "Oh my God!" Then some other ridiculously muscle dude holds hands with each other, and the lady-types are all "This can't be."

And I say, "DO YOU THINK IF THOSE GUYS HAD ANY CONCERN OVER WOMEN THEY WOULD LOOK LIKE/HAVE THE TIME + CAPACITY TO MAKE THEMSELVES CHISELED IN SUCH A MANNER, BIMBOS?!"

I mean, I don't actually say that, because I'm still under the illusion that treating women to dinner and acting courteous instantly = scoring. But I will say that one time. Probably after I'm married.

Godammit though, I will be ripped like a gay guy but attract the poon. I have a headache.

CrystalTears
05-20-2008, 04:34 PM
I hate when I'm with chicks eating sushi and some gay guy with ridiculous fucking muscles walks by and the women are like, "Oh my God!" Then some other ridiculously muscle dude holds hands with each other, and the lady-types are all "This can't be."
I'll never be as disheartened in my life as the day I was in a bar dancing with my male best friend, and this brutally hot guy walks up to me and asked, "Is your friend single?" :cry:

Clove
05-20-2008, 04:58 PM
I'll never be as disheartened in my life as the day I was in a bar dancing with my male best friend, and this brutally hot guy walks up to me and asked, "Is your friend single?" :cry:That's why chicks should dance with CHICKS.

Stanley Burrell
05-20-2008, 05:00 PM
I'll never be as disheartened in my life as the day I was in a bar dancing with my male best friend, and this brutally hot guy walks up to me and asked, "Is your friend single?" :cry:

That's why chicks should dance with CHICKS.

PUNCHLINE NINJA

Gan
05-20-2008, 05:36 PM
That's why chicks should dance with CHICKS.

:rofl:

BigWorm
05-20-2008, 05:43 PM
The funny thing is he never has the nuts to respond to any of my direct questions.

He just sticks with the questions that he has patent answers for, you know, the ones which dont require one to think. ;)

Probably because he is you. Duh.

TheEschaton
05-29-2008, 10:30 AM
These gays get closer to marriage AKA building their giant laser to kill Jesus.

-TheE-

-------------------------------------

NY to recognize gay marriage (http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/05/29/nygay.marriage/index.html)

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Gov. David Paterson of New York has told state agencies to recognize same-sex marriages performed in states and countries where they are legal, his spokeswoman said Wednesday.

New York agencies have been told to recognize same-sex marriages performed in places where they are legal.

The governor's legal counsel told state agencies in a May 14 memo to revise policies and regulations to recognize same-sex marriages performed in California and Massachusetts as well as Canada and other countries that allow gays and lesbians to marry, said Erin Duggan, the governor's spokeswoman.

The memo informed state agencies that failing to recognize gay marriages would violate the New York's human rights law, Duggan said.

The directive follows a February ruling from a New York state appeals court. That decision says that legal same-sex marriages performed in other jurisdictions are entitled to recognition in New York.

"This was in direct response to a court ruling," Duggan told CNN. "Just to make sure all the state agencies are on the same page."

Duggan says that the court's decision was consistent with the findings of several lower courts in New York State.

The governor's legal counsel sent the memo one day before the California Supreme Court struck down a ban on gay marriage in that state. Court officials in California counties may begin issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples on June 17, state officials said Wednesday.

Massachusetts legalized same-sex marriages in 2004, and gay couples need not be state residents there to wed. However, then-Gov. Mitt Romney resurrected a 1913 law barring non-resident marriages in the state if the marriage would be prohibited in the partners' home state.

Subsequent court and agency decisions have determined that only residents of Massachusetts, Rhode Island and New Mexico may marry in Massachusetts, unless the parties say they plan to move there after the marriage.

New Hampshire, Vermont, New Jersey and Connecticut permit civil unions, while California has a domestic-partner registration law. More than a dozen other states give same-sex couples some legal rights, as do some other countries.

Gan
05-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Probably because he is you. Duh.

ZOMG you're right!!!1111

However did you guess? It must have been your superior intellect and incomprehensible cognitive prowess that led you to this stellar deduction.

ClydeR
05-29-2008, 11:00 AM
NEW YORK (CNN) -- Gov. David Paterson of New York has told state agencies to recognize same-sex marriages performed in states and countries where they are legal, his spokeswoman said Wednesday.

That does not make good sense. First, according to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage_in_New_York), New York's highest court has already ruled that New York law does not recognize homosexual "marriages." Second, it's crazy to say that homosexuals cannot "marry" in New York, but they can travel across the border to Canada and have their "marriage" performed there and then return to New York where the homosexual "marriage" will then be valid. I have to repeat that that's crazy.

TheEschaton
05-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Wikipedia may be out of date, since this happened in the past 24 hours.

And there is something in the Constitution about how states have to give "full faith and credit" to the (valid) laws of other states. I don't know much about it, or if it's used regularly, or even what it's limits are, but this sounds something like that.

-TheE-

Gan
05-29-2008, 11:17 AM
My bet would be on the full faith and credit clause of the Constitution.

Clove
05-29-2008, 11:52 AM
It makes perfect sense. Ever hear of a Vegas wedding you piece of crap? It's how we do things (according to our Constitution) in this country ClydeR. Deal with it or go somewhere else.

Gan
05-29-2008, 11:59 AM
ClydeR believes in state's rights as long as those rights conform to his belief structure. When they dont, state's rights are trumped by federal power - as long as the federal legislation conforms with his viewpoints.

Welcome to ClydeR's circular logic session 101.

BigWorm
05-29-2008, 12:09 PM
ClydeR believes in state's rights as long as those rights conform to his belief structure. When they dont, state's rights are trumped by federal power - as long as the federal legislation conforms with his viewpoints.

Welcome to ClydeR's circular logic session 101.

Yeah, I've noted this observation about the religious right in general as well. e.g. We need a federal ban on gay marriage, but states should be allowed to decided if abortion is legal or not.

ZOMG you're right!!!1111

However did you guess? It must have been your superior intellect and incomprehensible cognitive prowess that led you to this stellar deduction.

Dude, it was a joke. From like a week ago... I though the Duh part would give it away, but I guess I should have used italics. Obviously Daniel is behind ClydeR

Gan
05-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Yeah, I've noted this observation about the religious right in general as well. e.g. We need a federal ban on gay marriage, but states should be allowed to decided if abortion is legal or not.
At best its convenient for him. :yes:

Dude, it was a joke. From like a week ago... I though the Duh part would give it away, but I guess I should have used italics. Obviously Daniel is behind ClydeR

Italix is your friend. :)

I secretly think ClydeR is either PB or WB. I'm leaning more towards WB.

Clove
05-29-2008, 12:21 PM
I secretly think ClydeR is either PB or WB. I'm leaning more towards WB.I'm waiting to see if ClydeR breaks out in a chorus of "Every Sperm is Sacred" before I make my decision.

ClydeR
05-29-2008, 12:56 PM
And there is something in the Constitution about how states have to give "full faith and credit" to the (valid) laws of other states. I don't know much about it, or if it's used regularly, or even what it's limits are, but this sounds something like that.

Here it is, with emphasis added to the parts the courts should focus on.

Article IV, Section 1 - Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

Clove
05-29-2008, 12:59 PM
Here it is, with emphasis added to the parts the courts should focus on.Your point? Congress gets to decide if acting in good faith. All states honor the marriages of other states, period. Move on.

ClydeR
05-29-2008, 01:08 PM

That point of view is out of date. I take it that you don't know the positions of Clinton, McCain and Obama on overturning Roe v. Wade (leaving the issue to the states) and adding a pro-life amendment to the constitution (taking the issue from the states).

Parkbandit
05-29-2008, 01:10 PM
At best its convenient for him. :yes:

Italix is your friend. :)

I secretly think ClydeR is either PB or WB. I'm leaning more towards WB.

You shouldn't think.. since you are probably wrong on both counts. It's a far left loon who is attempting to post in a far right loon fashion to make their views look less stupid. I don't even think WB is that pathetic or left minded.

ViridianAsp
05-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Is this such a big deal? Seriously? Who cares who marries who?

Honestly don't know how I'd feel if my son married another man, but whatever would make him happy?

I guess that's what I see, it means the gay population is one step closer to becoming like the rest of us and that means one thing...

They have become what they never wanted to be nesting breeders, sans the breeding.

BigWorm
05-29-2008, 01:24 PM
That point of view is out of date. I take it that you don't know the positions of Clinton, McCain and Obama on overturning Roe v. Wade (leaving the issue to the states) and adding a pro-life amendment to the constitution (taking the issue from the states).

Wait a second, did you just tell ME that my point of view was outdated?

You better go make sure those gays don't shoot a laser at Jesus.

ClydeR
05-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Wait a second, did you just tell ME that my point of view was outdated?

I can see how my post might have given you that impression, but it was not my intention. I would never intentionally insult the point of view of another person on this forum.

What I meant to say was that movement conservatives, by and large, believe today that the federal government has an important role to play in ensuring uniformity of laws across the nation, when those laws affect important social rights and institutions. That is why modern conservatives want a single rule for the nation regarding marriage and abortion. What is out of date is the point of view that all issues other than national defense should be decided at the state level.

That is one of several reasons why Fred Thompson did not fare well in the nomination battle. He was too set in his view that everything should be decided at the state level.

Warriorbird
05-29-2008, 02:03 PM
I'm amused that you'd think he's me.

I vote for Mabus.

Mabus
05-29-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm amused that you'd think he's me.

I vote for Mabus.
Well I am flattered that you would think it is me, I cannot take credit for the obvious farce that is that poster.

I replied once to them, and then after looking over their posts realized that they were poking fun at right-wing christian conservatives. I have since just smiled when I read the responses to their posts.

If I have an opinion I will post it. I do not hide behind fake names. Those of you that have spewed vitriol at me should know by now that I have no need to do so.

You will have to find someone else to blame.

Gan
05-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Vitriol - nectar of the PC.

Keller
05-29-2008, 03:58 PM

Rofl!

Warriorbird
05-29-2008, 04:01 PM
It is sort of what we do politics wise.

Mabus
05-29-2008, 04:25 PM
:hug2:

Daniel
05-29-2008, 04:30 PM
What's with all you people asking all these questions taking from the real issues in America?

What's going with the war..?

How's the economy going..?

I got that shit!

You all are distracting from the real issues: GAY PEOPLE ARE GETTING MARRIED SON.

Clove
05-29-2008, 04:36 PM
And adopting children. And buying DOGS!

CrystalTears
05-29-2008, 04:38 PM
Dogs and cats living together.. MASS HYSTERIA!

Mighty Nikkisaurus
05-29-2008, 04:41 PM
You guys are missing the real point here. The frickin gays are building a frickin laser to blow up a statue of Jesus! We have to do something!

BigWorm
05-29-2008, 05:18 PM
What's with all you people asking all these questions taking from the real issues in America?

What's going with the war..?

How's the economy going..?

I got that shit!

You all are distracting from the real issues: GAY PEOPLE ARE GETTING MARRIED SON.

Nasty! Imagine that shit. Two women, touchin' on each others' titties. Wrestling, gently stroking on those nipples. They get just so... stiff and erect... blowin on em.

Men, BBQ. I like you. I like you too dog, let's get married man. It's crazy!

But what about your...

That shit is gross!

BigWorm
05-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Mars bitches. Red rocks!!!

Sean
05-29-2008, 05:40 PM
That nigga bought aluminum tubes! Do I have to tell you what the fuck you can do with aluminum tubes?

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=11923&title=black-bush

Ravenstorm
05-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Plus ca change, plus ce la meme chose.

I do have one question though... Is ClydeR as big an idiot as he seems or is he a sockpuppet doing a wonderful job of portraying ultra right wing fundie idiocy?

TheEschaton
05-29-2008, 08:44 PM
What. The. Fuck.

Now that's a flash from the past.

Clove
05-29-2008, 08:51 PM

I do have one question though... Is ClydeR as big an idiot as he seems or is he a sockpuppet doing a wonderful job of portraying ultra right wing fundie idiocy?Nobody is really sure, but theory is leaning towards sock-puppet.

Parkbandit
05-29-2008, 10:43 PM

I do have one question though... Is ClydeR as big an idiot as he seems or is he a sockpuppet doing a wonderful job of portraying ultra right wing fundie idiocy?

Here is an exact replication of what/who ClydeR is. A wacko liberal left, pretending to be a wacko religious right.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/belike53/dean_puppet.jpg

Snapp
05-29-2008, 10:56 PM
WB, Raven! :)

Mighty Nikkisaurus
05-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Here is an exact replication of what/who ClydeR is. A wacko liberal left, pretending to be a wacko religious right.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/belike53/dean_puppet.jpg

Or he's neither, but sees that it's a lot easier to mock the religious right than it is the hardcore left.

Ravenstorm
05-29-2008, 11:55 PM
WB, Raven! :)

Hey Snapp. I see nothing has changed at all except for a few names.

Latrinsorm
05-30-2008, 11:11 AM
That's not true at all!

I got new socks, ask Gan! :) Seconding the welcome back!

ViridianAsp
05-30-2008, 12:01 PM
You guys are missing the real point here. The frickin gays are building a frickin laser to blow up a statue of Jesus! We have to do something!

Oh Noez! Quick someone call the Brides of Christ! Surely they will bring their rulers and end this blasphemy!

Ravenstorm
05-30-2008, 06:29 PM
That's not true at all!

I got new socks, ask Gan! :) Seconding the welcome back!

I found the pic of your socks. And the boots. And the implied statement that you shave your legs. I guess some things do change.

Oh Noez! Quick someone call the Brides of Christ! Surely they will bring their rulers and end this blasphemy!

These brides (http://thesisters.org/meet.html)?

ClydeR
06-05-2008, 11:19 AM
The California Supreme Court has refused (http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-me-marriage5-2008jun05,0,7825437.story) to delay its decision on allowing homosexual "marriage" until after a statewide vote in November. That was a very arrogant thing to do. A constitutional amendment has already been approved for the November ballot. It would do no harm to wait until after the vote, but it might do a lot of harm not to wait.

Tsa`ah
06-05-2008, 11:25 AM
The constitutional amendment? I agree ... it would do a lot of harm.

Nothing more "American" than constitutionalizing discrimination.

I wish you sick fucks would drown in your own piss already.

DeV
06-05-2008, 11:34 AM
The California Supreme Court has refused (http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-me-marriage5-2008jun05,0,7825437.story) to delay its decision on allowing homosexual marriage until after a statewide vote in November. That was a very arrogant thing to do. A constitutional amendment has already been approved for the November ballot. It would do no harm to wait until after the vote, but it might do a lot of harm not to wait.
Would you come out of the fucking closet already.

Paradii
06-05-2008, 12:57 PM
I work with a lesbian couple and it's clear they have the same feelings for each other that a typical man and woman would have. Who cares if they get married? How is it really affecting my life?

Once the rain of fire and brimstone fall down on you and everyone you love, you will realize it is affecting your life.

I kid, I kid. I've always been the strongest champion for the fact that marriage is the gayest thing a straight male could possibly undertake, so its only fitting that actual homosexuals are allowed to marry.

Keller
06-05-2008, 02:22 PM
The California Supreme Court has refused (http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-me-marriage5-2008jun05,0,7825437.story) to delay its decision on allowing homosexual marriage until after a statewide vote in November. That was a very arrogant thing to do. A constitutional amendment has already been approved for the November ballot. It would do no harm to wait until after the vote, but it might do a lot of harm not to wait.

I know personally know 4 couples getting married this summer. It's going to be a great summer for wedding planners.

CrystalTears
06-05-2008, 02:24 PM
I know personally know 4 couples getting married this summer. It's going to be a great summer for wedding planners.

And gay-hating Christian photographers.

Gan
06-05-2008, 02:30 PM
And florists.

ClydeR
06-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Californians are starting to feel the fallout from the California Supreme Court's decision mandating homosexual "marriage." Beginning on the day that the decision is to become effective (but purely for budgetary reasons), Kern County will stop performing all weddings (http://www.kget.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=3680b37a-73cd-4ff9-912a-384f65fce775), not just homosexual ones.

The county is pretty sure that it will be able to resolve its budgetary issues if voters amend the constitution to prohibit homosexual "marriage."

Gan
06-06-2008, 02:51 PM
laser beams, man...

laser beams.

Clove
06-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Californians are starting to feel the fallout from the California Supreme Court's decision mandating homosexual "marriage." Beginning on the day that the decision is to become effective (but purely for budgetary reasons), Kern County will stop performing all weddings (http://www.kget.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=3680b37a-73cd-4ff9-912a-384f65fce775), not just homosexual ones.

The county is pretty sure that it will be able to resolve its budgetary issues if voters amend the constitution to prohibit homosexual "marriage."Just think of all those god-fearing hetero couples that will be forced to live in sin now.

Gan
06-06-2008, 06:15 PM
LOL

Clove, you're a bad man.

:lol:

diethx
06-17-2008, 12:08 AM
http://news.aol.com/story/_a/gay-couples-get-married-in-california/20080616064109990001?icid=100214839x1204225914x120 0178294

Gay Couples Get Married in California
By LISA LEFF,AP
Posted: 2008-06-16 23:02:24
Filed Under: Nation News
SAN FRANCISCO (June 16) - Dozens of gay couples were married Monday after a landmark ruling making California the second state to allow same-sex nuptials went into effect.

At least five county clerks around the state extended their hours to issue marriage licenses, and many same-sex couples got married on the spot.

"These are not folks who just met each other last week and said, `Let's get married.' These are folks who have been together in some cases for decades," said Kate Kendell, executive director of the National Center for Lesbian Rights.

The May 15 California Supreme Court ruling overturning bans on same-sex marriage took effect at 5:01 p.m.

The really big rush to the altar was not expected to take place until Tuesday, which is when most counties planned to start issuing marriage licenses to gay couples. Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of couples from around the country are expected to seize the opportunity to make their unions official in the eyes of the law.

In San Francisco, Mayor Gavin Newsom, who helped launch the series of lawsuits that led the court to strike down California's one-man-one-woman marriage laws, presided at the wedding of Del Martin, 87, and Phyllis Lyon, 84.

Newsom picked the couple for the only ceremony in City Hall Monday in recognition of their long relationship and their status as pioneers of the gay rights movement. More than 600 same-sex couples have made appointments to get marriage licenses in San Francisco over the next 10 days.

Martin sat in her wheelchair during the ceremony in Newsom's office, which was open to a few elected officials, reporters and friends.

After the mayor pronounced them "spouses for life," the couple kissed, drawing huge applause.

Newsom called officiating the wedding "this extraordinary and humbling gift."

I didn't post the whole article, so you can go there to read the rest if you want. But this part about the old couple really warms my heart. Now for the rest of the country...

Eoghain
06-17-2008, 04:20 PM
Gay wedding crashing, here I fucking come! :D