PDA

View Full Version : Gore makes more Green

Parkbandit
04-30-2008, 08:42 AM
Gore investment body closes $683m fund
By Fiona Harvey in London

Published: April 29 2008 19:55 | Last updated: April 29 2008 19:55

The investment vehicle headed by Al Gore has closed a new $683m fund to invest in early-stage environmental companies and has mounted a robust defence of green investing.

The Climate Solutions Fund will be one of the biggest in the growing market for investment funds with an environmental slant.

This is the second fund from Generation Investment Management, chaired by the former vice-president of the US and managed by David Blood, former head of Goldman Sachs Asset Management.

The first, the Global Equity Strategy Fund, has $2.2bn invested in large companies the company judges have “sustainable“ businesses, from an environmental, social and economic viewpoint. Mr Blood said he expected that fund to be worth $5bn within two years, based on commitments from interested investors.

Mr Blood said raising $683m for the new fund in the midst of “market disruption” showed the resilience of green investing. “The fact we were able to raise $683m was extraordinary, so our experience is that it has not really been a problem [raising funds despite what is] generally a difficult environment,” he told the Financial Times.

“A fear expressed by some is that the first thing to go in a downturn is the nice-to-have sort of investment. Some people put green investments in that category, but we think that is nonsense. This is not nice-to-have – it is fundamental finance...because the transition from a high-carbon to a low-carbon economy is a ginormous step that is going to happen quickly,” he said.

Both Mr Gore and Mr Blood had invested in the new fund to a “pretty sizeable” extent, Mr Blood said.

The average size of investment made by the new fund is likely to be about $30m, in small private or public companies. All of the investors in the new fund were drawn from the company’s existing pool of investors.

None were willing to be named but existing investors in the Global Equity Strategy Fund include the Swiss private bank Lombard Odier Darier Hentsch; the California State Teachers Retirement System; Sweden’s Mistra Foundation; and Australia’s Victoria Super Fund.

Last year, Generation formed a partnership with the Silicon Valley venture capitalists Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers to collaborate on possible investments.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f78fbec2-161b-11dd-880a-0000779fd2ac.html?nclick_check=1

Green is my new favorite color.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/belike53/money-tree.jpg

Gan
04-30-2008, 10:22 AM
CHA-CHING

Clove
04-30-2008, 10:43 AM
Green has always been my favorite color... color of money :D

BigWorm
04-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Are we complaining about Gore making money here? I don't understand your angle on this, PB.

NocturnalRob
04-30-2008, 01:38 PM
i think it was just more a statement of fact.

oh, and GORE IS A HYPOCRITE!!!11!!!1!!eleven

Parkbandit
04-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Are we complaining about Gore making money here? I don't understand your angle on this, PB.

Complaining? Hardly. I think it's fantastic for him to fool so many tree huggers for personal profit. I aspire to be Gore in another life.

To come up with this to begin with.. then to lead the lifestyle he does, only to buy carbon offsets from himself to appease everyone is fucking brilliant.

longshot
04-30-2008, 02:34 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure I get this one either. Al Gore has always been wealthy.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=ahCy2aU0Wd1I

I kind of agree that it's better for markets to allocate funding, rather than some awful government legislation.

Pension fund and investment managers are responsible for returns to their clients, so it's not like they're paying people to beat bongo drums. The largest portion of assets in the big fund is devoted to a maker of insulin.

Maybe my thinking is off on this, but I can't see people investing so much money in "feel good" investments. I think that's what Gore is saying... that there are returns to be made by investing in what he considers to be "socially responsible" organizations.

They raised a lot of money for this, and both gore and the other guy (Blood) have put their own money up in the fund, so they have some skin in the game. If the returns weren't there, I don't think the money would be there either.

Personally, I'm curious why Johnson Controls and Nestle fit the criteria of the fund...

Parkbandit
04-30-2008, 02:41 PM
"If you don't invest in this eco-friendly fund, you clearly don't like the environment and actively want to fuck up this planet"

longshot
04-30-2008, 02:44 PM
"If you don't invest in this eco-friendly fund, you clearly don't like the environment and actively want to fuck up this planet"

That I completely understand.

I'm getting really sick of being blamed for hurricanes...

Parkbandit
04-30-2008, 02:45 PM
That I completely understand.

I'm getting really sick of being blamed for hurricanes...

You fucking SUV driving, earth hater. You and your bathing kind really sicken me.

Gan
04-30-2008, 03:00 PM
To come up with this to begin with.. then to lead the lifestyle he does, only to buy carbon offsets from himself to appease everyone is fucking brilliant.

To be honest, it was a matter of time before the paranoia cycled around again from the global cooling scare in the 1970's. Gore gets the credit for capitalising on it. Perfect position and all that.

Yea losing the 2000 presidential race is probably by and large the best thing that happened to Gore up until this.

Hats off to Gore.

:clap: