PDA

View Full Version : Medvedev and Putin in Russia

Latrinsorm
03-02-2008, 05:24 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/03/02/russia.election/index.html

So apparently Putin told people to vote for this guy Medvedev and he's been elected the new President of Russia. And apparently Medvedev didn't even participate in debates with the other candidates. Pretty interesting democracy they've got going over there.

Jesuit
03-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Originally he was going to appoint the KGB agent who killed the guy in England with the polonium 210, but decided Medvedev was more diplomatic. Russian democracy is amazing, the last guy to challenge Putin in the 2004 elections disappeared.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A03E5D9163AF93AA35751C0A9629C8B 63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all

Stanley Burrell
03-02-2008, 07:15 PM
It's a few dead politicians, so what?

Back
03-02-2008, 08:26 PM
America is the only real capitalist democracy. In some ways thats an oxymoron.

Solkern
03-02-2008, 08:33 PM
And to think, I just accepted a teaching job in Russia lol

Arkans
03-03-2008, 06:58 AM
Honestly, who cares how Russia conducted its internal "election"?

Western style Democracy is not for everyone.

- Arkans

Gan
03-03-2008, 07:32 AM
They had a few very interesting articles on the election and how its being conducted on NPR.

Arkans
03-03-2008, 08:53 AM
As did the BBC. I've been following on what's going on in Russia, and while I don't agree with him 100%, Putin does make a lot of valid points as far as foreign policy is concerned.

- Arkans

Latrinsorm
03-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Honestly, who cares how Russia conducted its internal "election"?

Western style Democracy is not for everyone.Personality cults aren't compatible with any-style democracy.

Warriorbird
03-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Ron Paul and Ralph Nader beg to differ!

Arkans
03-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Actually, the above is true. Even Obama, to a very limited extent, has a personality cult aura around a lot of his supporters.

Also, Putin is a far cry from what Stalin created for himself or other communist leaders.

Russia did improve substantially under Putin and the Russian people seem to attribute that to strong leadership (which they didn't see under Yeltsin), so who can blame them for wanting more of the same?

- Arkans

Latrinsorm
03-03-2008, 03:02 PM
Don't get me wrong, strong leadership and Putin go together like the Russian military and the red star. What we have here isn't a desire for another strong leader, though, it's a desire for more Putin, and that's a very significant difference.

Arkans
03-03-2008, 03:18 PM
If the people want more of Putin-like leadership (whether is being him as the President or the Prime Minister) who's to tell them no?

It's the internet age and people can get information about other public leaders in Russia from there.

Now, do I think the election was super fair? In all probability, no, but if people want what they have who cares? I mean, they hated Yeltsin and told him to beat it.

- Arkans

Gan
03-03-2008, 03:40 PM
If the people want more of Putin-like leadership (whether is being him as the President or the Prime Minister) who's to tell them no?

Who's to say that the 'people' who voted represent the majority voice?

One of the NPR articles I listend to last week denoted that many of the people are being pressured with the threat of losing their jobs and other things if they dont vote for Medvedev.

Sounds like its business as usual, somoene just painted the storefront to give it a new appearance. ;)

Keller
03-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Putin has 70% approval ratings. Russia has seen pretty unprecedented growth in the past 8 years under Putin. He's been extremely fiscally responsible with the economy in those 8 years. He's paid down historic debt, solicited foreign capital investment, and banked a ton of money for future growth. It's possible that Putin's hand-picked successor would have won in a fair election.

That said, Medvedev is inheriting a time-bomb. The majority of the growth in Russia is due to the rising cost of oil and as the world economy slows down and demand for oil drops, the Russian economy may be one of the hardest hit.

Clove
03-03-2008, 04:09 PM
America is the only real capitalist democracy. In some ways thats an oxymoron.

And I was beginning to miss Chillmonster for comments like this. Welcome back Back!

Clove
03-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Putin has 70% approval ratings...

He was a good King and so was his successor...

Latrinsorm
03-03-2008, 04:42 PM
who's to tell them no?The Constitution, for one. Term limits are in place for a reason.

The rule of law is not related in any way to what people allegedly want. This is essential to prevent democracy from devolving into mob rule or tyranny.

Keller
03-03-2008, 05:24 PM
He was a good King and so was his successor...

:nutty: