PDA

View Full Version : Iraq War

Back
05-05-2007, 03:37 AM
PC poll of the month.

Drew
05-05-2007, 05:25 AM
"Stay the course" certainly seems like loaded language these days. If we're going to use language like that option 2 should be "Surrender".

Gan
05-05-2007, 08:32 AM
Hey Hey! Dont doubt or call into question the PC Pundit's choice of language when attempting to influence the poll into his favor!!!

/rolleyes

Parkbandit
05-05-2007, 09:52 AM
PC poll of the month.

Holy shit, you must be a polling pundit for the liberals too? This is a classic case of a loaded poll.

Back
05-05-2007, 12:48 PM
"Stay the course" certainly seems like loaded language these days. If we're going to use language like that option 2 should be "Surrender".

Strange when you consider it was the catch phrase for the war for 4 years. Suddenly its “loaded language.”

Skirmisher
05-05-2007, 12:51 PM

God help me when I agree with Drew on something but in this case he is right.

Stay the course has too much baggage to be seen clearly.

Try to make one without any political slogans and it will be far better received.

Gan
05-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Strange when you consider it was the catch phrase for the war for 4 years. Suddenly its “loaded language.”

So was 'cut and run', however I didnt see you use that for the 'other' choice. ;)

Stanley Burrell
05-05-2007, 01:07 PM
If by "Stay the Course," you mean having one or two thousand U.S. peacekeeping troops for the next thirty years to instill stability, which'll happen regardless of how liberally or conservative an approach to our situation is, then I vote "yes."

Um, I voted "I don't know" because "Stay the Course" seemed kinda broad, no offense. Like, it could mean stabilizing troops and funding blood drives or using nukes. Hard to draw the line, I think. Ehm, not really sure.

Back
05-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Interesting how language works. Its an unintended side effect of the poll but a good topic none-the-less.

While it was totally acceptable for so long to say “stay the course” its now obviously loaded. After the last election as far as I can recall the people who were repeating it for years all of a sudden are now trying to distance themselves from it. What happened?

Parkbandit
05-05-2007, 01:40 PM
Interesting how language works. Its an unintended side effect of the poll but a good topic none-the-less.

We could talk about your inability to construct a simple, unbiased poll all day... but it wouldn't help. You wouldn't learn a thing, so why waste time with it?

Back
05-05-2007, 03:56 PM
I’m more than open for suggestions on how it should be worded.

Maybe it should be as simple as stay, leave, don’t know.

That stay the course phrase has been dropped because its apparent that a change in course was needed. Whats the big change in course? Doing the same thing we’ve been doing from the start.

Gan
05-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Clearly your inability to think of alternatives demonstrates your own personal bias. Thats like giving the choices
1. Finish the job
2. Cut and run
3. Dont know.
See?

Maybe it should be as simple as stay, leave, don’t know.
Probably would have come across more credible if you had used these selections to begin with.

That stay the course phrase has been dropped because its apparent that a change in course was needed. Whats the big change in course? Doing the same thing we’ve been doing from the start.
I still hear 'stay the course' in discussions. And, like any other label or title, its just a spin on what needs to be done. A rose, is a rose, is a rose...

Apathy
05-05-2007, 11:21 PM

Pull out like prom night.

Skirmisher
05-05-2007, 11:47 PM
How about something like.

1. Stay until a stable self sustaining government is in place (or some similar criteria is met).

2. Set a time limit after which point troop levels must begin to be reduced.

3. Leave immediately.

4. I don't know.

I tried to not place any emotional or political trigger words in there, if i missed some my apologies but i ofer those as an example of some choices that may be less likely to instantly make people see red.

Back
05-06-2007, 12:04 AM
Yeah, its really not as simple as we would hope it could be. I don’t know about anyone else, but when I think of Iraq, no matter what phrase you use, I see red.

Gan
05-06-2007, 12:16 AM
Which is why polls from you are so laughable.