PDA

View Full Version : Iran bans Western haircuts

Gan
04-30-2007, 01:57 AM
TEHRAN, Iran (Reuters) -- Iranian police have warned barbers against offering Western-style hair cuts or plucking the eyebrows of their male customers, Iranian media said Sunday.

The report by a reformist daily, later confirmed by an Iranian news agency, appeared to be another sign of authorities cracking down on clothing and other fashion deemed to be against Islamic values.

"Western hairstyles ... have been banned," the newspaper Etemad said in a front-page headline.

It came a week after police launched a crackdown against the growing number of young women testing the limits of the law with shorter, brighter and skimpier clothing ahead of the summer months.

Under Iran's Islamic Sharia law, imposed after the 1979 revolution, women are obligated to cover their hair and wear long, loose-fitting clothes to disguise their figures.

Violators can receive lashes, fines and imprisonment.

The student news agency ISNA quoted a police statement as saying: "In an official order to barbershops, they have been warned to avoid using Western hair styles and doing men's eyebrows."

Iranian young men have in recent years started paying more attention to the way they look and dress, especially in affluent parts of the capital Tehran. Spiked up hair, by using gel, is known as the Khorusi (Rooster) style and some also use make-up.

Several hairdressers for men in Tehran offer cuts in the style of Hollywood movie stars and other Western celebrities. Clients can also have their eyebrows plucked.

The head of the barbers' union, Mohammad Eftekharifard, said police had instructed it to "exercise specific regulations in barbershops that work under its supervision."

Barbers who do not follow these rules might be closed down for a month and even lose their permits to operate, Etemad quoted him as saying.

"Currently some barbershops apply make-up and use (hair) styles that are in line with those in European countries and America," Eftekharifard said.

He added: "An official order has been sent to the union ... not to apply make-up on men's faces (or) do eyebrows ... and hence the barbers are not allowed to do these things."

Since hardline President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad won the presidency in 2005 on a promise of returning to the values of the revolution, hardliners have pressed for tighter controls on what they consider immoral behavior.

Copyright 2007 Reuters (http://www.cnn.com/interactive_legal.html#Reuters). All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/04/29/iranian.haricuts.reut/index.html

Thats just fucked up. :(

Althought the eyebrow plucking is something I'm not down with.. that shit hurts. I just make sure I shave out the uni-brow. ;)

Tolwynn
04-30-2007, 02:59 AM
But hey, at least their freedom of speech is still alive and well there.

Drew
04-30-2007, 04:27 AM
Yeah, I wonder what XTC thinks about this. One of his childhood friends is an Iranian barber and he is an expert on Iranian barbarism.

Artha
04-30-2007, 08:56 AM
To them, we're the barbers.

TheEschaton
04-30-2007, 09:35 AM
This just made me think the following:

"In Soviet Russia, eyebrows pluck YOU..."

Seran
04-30-2007, 09:53 AM
What an atrocity!

Tolwynn
04-30-2007, 09:59 AM
It's hardly an atrocity, but one can only imagine the furor that would result if any Western government handed down a similar decree.

Stanley Burrell
04-30-2007, 12:52 PM
I'm'a grow the unibrow.

Eoghain
04-30-2007, 02:48 PM
Good gods, as if it wasn't bad enough for Iranian homos, now they can't get their eyebrows done? That's just degrading.

Gan
04-30-2007, 03:07 PM
Hairball central.

Hairy arms, pits, legs... now eyebrows.

WHATS NEXT!!!

Ignot
04-30-2007, 09:56 PM
I'm'a grow the unibrow.

Holy shit that made me laugh.

xtc
05-16-2007, 05:36 PM
Yeah, I wonder what XTC thinks about this. One of his childhood friends is an Iranian barber and he is an expert on Iranian barbarism.

It makes as much sense as freedom fries.

It is indicative of the feeling towards all things American in that part of the world. We have been so good at making friends in the Middle East these past few years.

My Iranian friends are reformers who don't like Ahmadinejad. Unfortunately we play into the hard liner's hands at every opportunity.

Where is HN these days? She use to live in Iran.

Daniel
05-16-2007, 07:13 PM
The difference is that we didn't arrest anyone found eating french fries.

Parkbandit
05-16-2007, 08:00 PM

fucking pwned

Drew
05-16-2007, 09:00 PM

Holy shit, pwn of the week.

Gan
05-16-2007, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by xtc http://forum.gsplayers.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?p=542869#post542869)
I think this story shows that freedom of expression is alive and well in Iran.

Parkbandit
05-17-2007, 07:51 AM

I think this is when xtc will now take a 2-3 week break from the boards.

:lol:

Daniel
05-17-2007, 08:04 AM
Your welcome.

xtc
05-17-2007, 11:45 AM

Same logic. No we shipped people like Maher Arar to Syria instead to be tortured but you can still eat all the freedom fries you like.

xtc
05-17-2007, 11:45 AM
I think this is when xtc will now take a 2-3 week break from the boards.

:lol:

I am still here Einstein.

Daniel
05-17-2007, 11:59 AM
Same logic. No we shipped people like Maher Arar to Syria instead to be tortured but you can still eat all the freedom fries you like.

How is this the same logic?

Suspected Terorrist VS someone wearing a tie. Are you really that stupid?

xtc
05-17-2007, 12:09 PM
How is this the same logic?

Suspected Terorrist VS someone wearing a tie. Are you really that stupid?

My logic comment was in relation to the freedom fries and western haircuts. Both are silly knee jerk reactions.

Maher Arar is a Canadian citizen. The Canadian and US Governments should be ashamed how they handled things. The Canadian Government has offered an official apology and has financial compensated him for their egregious errors.

If the US choose not to admit Maher into America they should have sent him back to Canada not Syria where he was tortured.

Daniel
05-17-2007, 12:19 PM
Okay. I'll take irrelevent references for 1000 Alex.

So we're back at square one.

The difference between Freedom Fries and Western Haircuts is that we didn't arrest people for eating French fries.

To head off "I was just saying the logic is the same" I'll raise you: The logic behind freedom fries was to show your disdain for french culture by choosing to use a name that identified with it. No matter how ridiculous that is, there is a distinct difference between that and ARRESTING people who choose to use a particular fashion.

xtc
05-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Okay. I'll take irrelevent references for 1000 Alex.

Not irrelevant. It shows that we don't an ivory box to spout from.

So we're back at square one.

The difference between Freedom Fries and Western Haircuts is that we didn't arrest people for eating French fries.

The logic behind banning western haircuts and calling french fries, freedom fries is the same.

To head off "I was just saying the logic is the same" I'll raise you: The logic behind freedom fries was to show your disdain for french culture by choosing to use a name that identified with it. No matter how ridiculous that is, there is a distinct difference between that and ARRESTING people who choose to use a particular fashion.

.....and the Iranians have banned western haircuts to show disdain for western culture and stem western influence in Iran. Same logic as I said.

Artha
05-17-2007, 12:32 PM
The logic behind banning western haircuts and calling french fries, freedom fries is the same.

One is a country wide ban enforced with police action. One is a temporary change of wording in the congressional cafeteria.

HOW DO YOU NOT SEE THE DIFFERENCE?

xtc
05-17-2007, 12:34 PM
One is a country wide ban enforced with police action. One is a temporary change of wording in the congressional cafeteria.

HOW DO YOU NOT SEE THE DIFFERENCE?

Yes, but the thinking and logic behind banning haircuts and freedom fries are the same. To be honest I am not sure what is a western haircut, I will be surprised if this law has a lot of teeth.

Gan
05-17-2007, 12:40 PM
Yes, but the thinking and logic behind banning haircuts and freedom fries are the same. To be honest I am not sure what is a western haircut, I will be surprised if this law has a lot of teeth.

From the article...

Violators can receive lashes, fines and imprisonment.

Barbers who do not follow these rules might be closed down for a month and even lose their permits to operate, Etemad quoted him as saying.

xtc
05-17-2007, 12:59 PM
From the article...

Determing what is a western haircut could be tough. Obviously eye brow trimming will be obvious, as will spiky gelled hair, but the cut itself tougher to nail down.

Gan
05-17-2007, 01:19 PM
Determing what is a western haircut could be tough. Obviously eye brow trimming will be obvious, as will spiky gelled hair, but the cut itself tougher to nail down.

Especially in Iran...

Parkbandit
05-17-2007, 02:23 PM
Um.. he's the Iranian expert here folks.. let's not question his stupidity again.

Thanks.

PS - You should have taken your 2-3 week break when I gave you that opening.. since you only posted more proof of your ignorance and plain ol' stupidity.

xtc
05-17-2007, 03:04 PM
Um.. he's the Iranian expert here folks.. let's not question his stupidity again. Thanks.

I imagine you think everyone in Iran looks like the Afghani Taliban.

Is this a western haircut?

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200507/r51298_136964.jpg

PS - You should have taken your 2-3 week break when I gave you that opening.. since you only posted more proof of your ignorance and plain ol' stupidity.

I come here when I have a lull between projects. As I have said in the past being called stupid by a dullard like you is a compliment. You couldn't detect knowledge and intelligence if you tripped over it.

Parkbandit
05-17-2007, 05:41 PM
I've never taken someone calling me stupid a compliment.

Way to prove my point even further.

xtc
05-17-2007, 05:44 PM
I've never taken someone calling me stupid a compliment.

Way to prove my point even further.

Too dumb to understand my insult, oh well, not your fault. You failed to answer my question. Want to try? Any idea what an Iranian looks like?

Parkbandit
05-17-2007, 05:51 PM
Too dumb to understand my insult, oh well, not your fault. You failed to answer my question. Want to try? Any idea what an Iranian looks like?

I'm not the one judging what is and what is not a western style haircut to find out if I can fine or imprison the 'offender'.

But hey, it looks like things are all hunky dorey in the Roman Empire... so why worry?

Tolwynn
05-17-2007, 06:01 PM
I imagine you think everyone in Iran looks like the Afghani Taliban.

If this law is enforced stringently enough, they may not have much choice otherwise.

xtc
05-18-2007, 11:11 AM
I'm not the one judging what is and what is not a western style haircut to find out if I can fine or imprison the 'offender'.

But hey, it looks like things are all hunky dorey in the Roman Empire... so why worry?

Neither did I judge what is or isn't a western haircut. My comment was that it will be difficult to make such a determination. I then asked if the Iranian President had a western haircut to further demonstrate my point.

Ganalon's comment would lead me to believe, that he thinks it is easy in Iran to determine what is & what isn't a western haircut. So if that is what you are taking umbrage with, take it up with him

Daniel
05-18-2007, 11:17 AM
I challenge you to find anyone in America or Europe with a haircut that shitty.

xtc
05-18-2007, 11:24 AM
I challenge you to find anyone in America or Europe with a haircut that shitty.

Lol there are people on this board with a much shittier haircut. Never mind the 300 million that are in America.

Gan
05-18-2007, 11:27 AM
Lol there are people on this board with a much shittier haircut. Never mind the 300 million that are in America.

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/03/23/philspector_narrowweb__300x404,0.jpg

Gan
05-18-2007, 11:32 AM
TEHRAN: Iranian police have warned barbers against offering Western-style hair cuts or plucking the eyebrows of their male customers, Iranian media said yesterday.

The report by a reformist daily, later confirmed by an Iranian news agency, appeared to be another sign of the authorities cracking down on clothing and other fashion deemed to be against Islamic values.

“Western hair styles ... have been banned,” the newspaper Etemad said in a front page headline.

It came a week after police launched a crackdown against the growing numbers of young women testing the limits of the law with shorter, brighter and skimpier clothing ahead of the summer months.

The student news agency Isna quoted a police statement as saying: “In an official order to barber shops, they have been warned to avoid using Western hair styles and doing men’s eyebrows.”

Iranian young men have in recent years started paying more attention to the way they look and dress, especially in affluent parts of the capital Tehran. Spiked up hair, by using gel, is known as the Khorusi (Rooster) style and some also use make-up.

Several hairdressers for men in Tehran offer cuts in the style of Hollywood movie stars and other Western celebrities. Clients can also have their eyebrows plucked.

The head of the barbers’ union, Mohamed Eftekharifard, said police had instructed it to “exercise specific regulations in barber shops that work under its supervision.”

“Currently some barber shops apply make-up and use (hair) styles that are in line with those in European countries and America,” Eftekharifard said.

He added: “An official order has been sent to the union ... not to apply make-up on men’s faces (or) do eyebrows ... and hence the barbers are not allowed to do these things.”

Since Mahmoud Ahmadinejad won the presidency in 2005 promising a return to the values of the revolution, hardliners have pressed for tighter controls on what they consider immoral behaviour. - Reut

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.gulf-times.com/mritems/images/2007/4/29/2_146495_1_248.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp%3Fcu_no%3D2%26item_no%3D146549%26versi on%3D1%26template_id%3D37%26parent_id%3D17&h=200&w=260&sz=16&hl=en&start=10&um=1&tbnid=_Imsl3S4oHiFzM:&tbnh=86&tbnw=112&prev=/images%3Fq%3Diranian%2Bhaircuts%26svnum%3D10%26um% 3D1%26hl%3Den

______________________________-

See bolded print.

Skeeter
05-18-2007, 11:35 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1425000/images/_1426406_peterose150.jpg

Some of the worst lettuce in history

CrystalTears
05-18-2007, 11:37 AM
Lol there are people on this board with a much shittier haircut.
Pretty bold statement from someone who's never posted their own picture here.

Clove
05-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Pretty bold statement from someone who's never posted their own picture here.

10,000 posts! Girl... we gotta talk.

Oh.

Hello World, btw.