PDA

View Full Version : Bolivia: No compensation for nationalization

Back
05-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Bolivian Says He Won't Pay Energy Companies (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/11/world/americas/11cnd-bolivia.html?ex=1305000000&en=312de88dd5bec533&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss)

The leader of Bolivia today ruled out any compensation for nationalized oil and gas resources as he faced tough questioning before a high-profile European summit meeting to discuss energy and trade.

President Evo Morales sent in the army on May 1 to occupy oil and gas fields owned by British Gas, Total of France, Repsol of Spain and Petrobras of Brazil. He said there was no need to pay, since the companies had already recovered their investments plus profits.

Europe is watching the case carefully.

The European Union wants closer economic ties with Latin America under normal rules of law. The Union's commissioner for external relations, Benita Ferrero-Waldner, said Europe was looking for discussions with Bolivia and the affected companies. "If there are already contracts, these have to be tackled and changed by dialogue," she said.

The foreign minister of Austria, Ursula Plassnik, said: "The rule of law and trust are key issues not just for the Bolivian people, but also for investors."

But Mr. Morales was firm. "There is no reason to indemnify them whatsoever," he said at a news conference at the start of the meeting of dozens of European, Latin American and Caribbean leaders. "If we were to expropriate their technology or their assets, in that case there could be talk of indemnifying them, but that is not the case."

Mr. Morales also confirmed expectations that his government planned to seize agricultural land and redistribute it to the peasantry, a prospect that has unnerved Brazil, whose Petrobras has already been hit by the gas field nationalization.

"We're not going to limit ourselves to oil resources," Mr. Morales said. "We're also going to finish with huge land owners, especially productive land, in our country."

--------------------------------------------------------

Its already the 11th and this is the first I’ve heard of this. Not surprised he chose May 1st to do this. Its interesting that Europe is taking well enough to invite him to Vienna to talk with the EU.

This article is patchy though. Not well written. Horrible title. The president of Bolivia should at least be called the president of Bolivia. This title makes him sound like some renegade indian, which I guess in a way he is, but not just any renegade indian.

Skirmisher
05-11-2006, 11:00 PM
I hope no one invests a penny in Bolivia as long as he is in charge if he refuses to pay anything for taking property and cancelling contracts that had been signed by the Bolivian govt.

Gan
05-11-2006, 11:15 PM
Sounds like what Chavez did with his national oilfields in Venezuela. I also heard he just implemented some foreign tax at 33%.

Its capitalism central america style!

Drew
05-12-2006, 05:46 AM
Brazil has been pissed/worried about this since it happens.

Personally, I hope Brazil occupies the oil fields/pipeline and forcibly takes the gas they are owed under the contract. Never gonna happen, but one can dream.

Drew
05-12-2006, 05:57 AM
Here's a pretty good article about it:
http://www.stanfordreview.org/Archive/Volume_XXXVI/Issue_8/Foreign_Affairs/affairs1.shtml

Artha
05-12-2006, 07:18 AM
Reminds me of Atlas Shrugged.

Tsa`ah
05-12-2006, 07:33 AM
Here's a pretty good article about it:
http://www.stanfordreview.org/Archive/Volume_XXXVI/Issue_8/Foreign_Affairs/affairs1.shtml

I wouldn't even consider it a half assed article. It's from the PoV of an asshat that probably has never stepped foot past the Mexican border unless it was on a luxury vacation.

I'm sorry, but "exploitation" is the name of the game when it comes to Central and South American nations. Some of these contracts were negotiated under corrupt and or completely ignorant leaders. Aboriginal labor gets paid pennies on the US dollar, no benefits, no labor laws to protect them ... and is conditions that would make an illegal in the US flinch.

My trips to refinery plants in Argentina left me in absolute disgust of my former employer and they were one of the better paying resin refineries in South America.

That article lacks credibility for several reasons.

~It fails to list the total annual sum of aid sent by each nation threatening to cut them off.
~It fails to even allude to the working conditions of aboriginal labor.
~It fails to site when each contract was agreed upon and how the political climate may have changed. (I'm sorry, but when our founders seized our borders in the face of British rule ... we didn't exactly honor contracts we never agreed to)

So while we on the outside looking in may think ... what a loon. I would first suggest investigating the other side of the story.

Sean of the Thread
05-12-2006, 08:14 AM
Considering gas goes for USD 12 cents in Venezuela currently...

Drew
05-12-2006, 01:43 PM
(I'm sorry, but when our founders seized our borders in the face of British rule ... we didn't exactly honor contracts we never agreed to)

Yes, because this is just like when we threw off a repressive monarchy.... except not at all.

Tsa`ah
05-12-2006, 07:26 PM
Yes, because this is just like when we threw off a repressive monarchy.... except not at all.

:lol: Ok ... whatever you say.

xtc
05-17-2006, 05:01 PM
In the face of the lunacy of international oil prices I can understand how oil rich nations would want to nationalise their oil industry and thus claim control over it and control over their oil prices.

I know little of South American politics however I assume the oil in the ground is property of Bolivia and the contracts were for mining the oil and perhaps processing. Assuming this Bolivia has basically cancelled the contract. That leaves the oil companies to sue for cancelling the contract and Bolivia to look for loop holes for cancelling the contract.

If what Tsa'ah has said is true you can't blame Bolivia for the actions it took.

Canada is an oil rich nation and in a few weeks I have a Conservative party event to go where I will try and discuss nationalising our oil. I doubt I will make much head away as our Conservative P.M. was against Pierre Trudeau's national oil policy in the 70's but I will try. I know many Canadians are in favour of nationalising our oil.

Tsa`ah
05-18-2006, 02:53 AM
Doing some research, Bolivia was awarded a debt relief package (debt forgiveness) by the World bank in the amount of 760 million. This may, though likely not now) extend to 1.2 billion by 2011.

The US has designated 150 mill in aid, though not all at once ... over the long term.

Spain offered to forgive 120 million in debt providing the money go toward education ... though I'm not sure how you can expect spent money to be spent again.

Bolivia produces 42,000 barrels of crude per day. That's 2.94 million dollars a day. That's what ... 10.7 billion per year at 70 per barrel? And we know that the price per barrel is going to exceed 70 bucks in about a month.

So weigh the alternatives, continue to allow foreign companies to control your resources while your nation, even after debt forgiveness, continues on as a third world nation that keeps building debt ... or nationalize your resources and turn your ever growing debt into profit?