PDA

View Full Version : Another 15 seconds of idiocy

Gan
09-30-2005, 11:58 AM
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Congressional Democrats blasted former Education Secretary William Bennett on Thursday for saying that aborting "every black baby in this country" would reduce the crime rate, and demanded their Republican counterparts do the same.

"This is precisely the kind of insensitive, hurtful and ignorant rhetoric that Americans have grown tired of," said Rep. Bobby Rush, D-Illinois.

Bennett, who held prominent posts in the administrations of former presidents Ronald Reagan and George Bush, told a caller to his syndicated radio talk show Wednesday: "If you wanted to reduce crime, you could -- if that were your sole purpose -- you could abort every black baby in this country and your crime rate would go down.

"That would be an impossibly ridiculous and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down," he said.

.... more at the link.

SOURCE - CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/30/bennett.comments/index.html)

Sometimes people should just keep their pie holes closed and their inverted inbred ideals to themselves.

Theres also something else I want to say, but since this is a first post I'll refrain until it comes up.

Warriorbird
09-30-2005, 11:59 AM
Sometimes people should just keep their pie holes closed and their inverted inbred ideals to themselves.

Err, what was that?

Jorddyn
09-30-2005, 12:12 PM
Well, he's right, he just didn't take it far enough. Abort every baby, ragardless of race, and eventually your crime rate will be zero!!!!!

Jorddyn, full of grand ideas

Gan
09-30-2005, 12:17 PM
I missed your implication WB. Care to elaborate? Or was it an attempt at humor?

Warriorbird
09-30-2005, 12:28 PM
You're just as out of line implying that everyone who disagrees with you is inbred. It's standard political rhetoric.

Gan
09-30-2005, 12:32 PM
Yea, freedom of speech and all...

I still think his analagy was retarded and stupid, and if there was an angle of racisim that he's trying to cover up then yes - its resembling inbred intelligence.

Not like you've made any claim such as that, so I guess that gives you stones to throw at your own glass walls.

Warriorbird
09-30-2005, 01:12 PM
I'm not advocating a high road. I'm advocating realpolitik. You seem to have trouble grasping that, yet you still try to live in this purty glass house.

You sure don't have a right to judge when you include statements like that in your judgement.

Gan
09-30-2005, 01:14 PM
Show me where I dont have that right.

Warriorbird
09-30-2005, 01:16 PM
It's inherent in me calling out your rhetoric.

:)

Illustrated hypocrisy.

Gan
09-30-2005, 01:21 PM
You draw flies well.

Parkbandit
09-30-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Warriorbird

You sure don't have a right to judge when you include statements like that in your judgement.

He probably has more right to judge.. than you do calling him out on it.

:shrug:

CrystalTears
09-30-2005, 01:28 PM
When Ganalon becomes Education Secretary, then you can bitch about his rhetoric. Until then he's just speaking his opinion as anyone else would. So if he doesn't have a right, neither do you.

I'm surprised you didn't take the opportunity to bash Republicans since that was the idiot that spouted that crap, just to rip into Ganalon. Geez.

WTF. Late again. PB :(

[Edited on 9/30/2005 by CrystalTears]

Drezzt
09-30-2005, 01:33 PM
And there goes another case of "Gah, did I say that out loud?"

Skirmisher
09-30-2005, 01:36 PM
Yeah, WB, I think you are getting caught up in the minutiae and losing sight of the point of the thread.

And trying to stay on topic...

I think this idiot went to the Jimmy the Greek school of public speaking.

Warriorbird
09-30-2005, 01:43 PM
When you call anyone who disagrees with your point of view inbred, you're not doing much to sway anyone.

I'm sorry if that isn't patently obvious.

xtc
09-30-2005, 01:46 PM
The idea is morally reprehensible....but he said that.

"That would be an impossibly ridiculous and morally reprehensible thing to do..."

I would be interested to read the entire transcript of the conversation.

Warriorbird
09-30-2005, 01:47 PM
Yeah... maybe I'm confused here. Are you not attacking the Democrats and calling them inbred for finding that statement problematic, Ganalon?

Parkbandit
09-30-2005, 01:51 PM
Yeah... maybe I'm confused here. Are you not attacking the Democrats and calling them inbred for finding that statement problematic, Ganalon?

Yes, you are confused. Ganalon has the ability to find fault with people on BOTH sides of the political line.

Something that is lacking from certain posters on this board that I find refreshing.

Warriorbird
09-30-2005, 01:52 PM
Yeah. Clearly a quality you lack.

Sean
09-30-2005, 01:55 PM

I took it as him saying Bennett was inbred for spouting off what he did.

xtc
09-30-2005, 01:56 PM
If you find Ganalon calling someone inbred offensive than who he was saying it about is immaterial be it Repub or Democrat.

Warriorbird
09-30-2005, 01:58 PM
I was just asking for clarification. William Bennett, despite saying something pretty stupid there put into effect a lot of the impetus behind current Republican education policy.

Stupid statement or no... I don't think he merits being called inbred over it.

[Edited on 9-30-2005 by Warriorbird]

Parkbandit
09-30-2005, 02:01 PM

Not as bad as some...

heck, there's a prime example right here in the thread.

:D

Drezzt
09-30-2005, 02:06 PM
Stupid statement or no... I don't think he merits being called inbred over it.

I agree! Most of us inbred hicks know when to keep our thoughts to ourselves and we DAMN sure don't go 'round spoutin off on national television and radio.

Kinda insultin to me and my sister. I think it should be pulled.

-Drezzt -who doesnt like black babies any more than the next guy. They don't stay crunchy in milk.

[Edited on 9-30-2005 by Drezzt]

Warriorbird
09-30-2005, 02:08 PM
Not as bad as some...

heck, there's a prime example right here in the thread.

Did I just defend William Bennett, a Republican that caused the amount of college tuition I'm paying to quadruple? Why yes, I think I just did.

Gan
09-30-2005, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by Ganalon
Theres also something else I want to say, but since this is a first post I'll refrain until it comes up.

And WB wins the prize. I was going to say that anyone reading this as a partisan issue is equally idiotic. However, I chose not to jynx it.

Those who have read my stance on racisim know how I feel about it, and about comments that are publically broadcast that do nothing but propegate the division of people based on color.

Had I known your sensitivity to inbreeding I would have used another slur WB. My apologies.

Warriorbird
09-30-2005, 02:10 PM
Interesting. What did you think of George Bush senior calling his grandchildren (from Jeb and Columba Bush) the "little brown ones?"

Gan
09-30-2005, 02:12 PM
Interesting. What did you think of George Bush senior calling his grandchildren (from Jeb and Columba Bush) the "little brown ones?"

First I've heard of it. And I dont follow the 'brown ones' reference either.

Warriorbird
09-30-2005, 02:14 PM
Columba Bush is Mexican.

CrystalTears
09-30-2005, 02:18 PM
It's a stupid thing to say. I don't know why you feel that Republicans aren't capable of seeing when someone says something stupid, Republicans or not.

Gan
09-30-2005, 02:23 PM
Columba Bush is Mexican.

What was the context of its usage? As a term of endearment or affection? Since they are related by blood I highly doubt it was meant as a slur. Thats not quite the same example as the statement about aborting all black babies to lower the crime rate. If thats your aim then you're reaching.

Some Rogue
09-30-2005, 02:30 PM

And this would be the "I know you are but what am I?" defense.

[Edited on 9-30-2005 by Some Rogue]

Warriorbird
09-30-2005, 02:31 PM
Rapidly followed by me pointing out a counter example.

;)

Parkbandit
09-30-2005, 03:37 PM
I just heard the whole clip and it's completely taken out of context.

After listening to the whole thing.. I laugh at whatever newspapers are printing this bullshit.

DeV
09-30-2005, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Parkbandit
I just heard the whole clip and it's completely taken out of context.

After listening to the whole thing.. I laugh at whatever newspapers are printing this bullshit. Care to explain the context.. meaning... what have you? I heard some tidbits on the radio this morning and have been in class all day so I haven't heard anything more.

It sounds completely ignorant the way the statement is being depicted in the media, despite the fact that this is an intelligent man.

Gan
09-30-2005, 03:43 PM
Please tell me we're not victims of the bias liberal media spinning a story in hopes of eliciting more partisan bashing?

Perhaps his hypothetical's would have been better received if he would have said just babies... or male babies.... or just chose a different example alltogether. Its hard to say now that there seems to be some disparity from what has been reported by the media vs. the context of the whole statement in the interview.

DeV
09-30-2005, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Ganalon
Perhaps his hypothetical's would have been better received if he would have said just babies... or male babies.... or just chose a different example alltogether. Its hard to say now that there seems to be some disparity from what has been reported by the media vs. the context of the whole statement in the interview. I think the fact that his hypothetical hit close to home is the kicker. Black males make up a significant portion of our country's prison population. I'm not sure what he was thinking with the hypothetical either, but he definitely could have at least left black baby girls out of it. :(
Originally posted by Jorddyn
Well, he's right, he just didn't take it far enough. Abort every baby, ragardless of race, and eventually your crime rate will be zero!!!!!

^ ... Would have made more sense yet probably would have elicited similiar reactions on a broader scale.

Jorddyn
09-30-2005, 03:54 PM
From The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/29/AR2005092902126.html)
Bennett's comments came Wednesday, during a discussion on his talk show "Morning in America." A caller had suggested that Social Security would be better funded if abortion had not been legalized in 1973 because the nation would have more workers paying into the system.

Bennett said "maybe," before referring to a book he said argued that the legalization of abortion is one of the reasons the crime rate has declined in recent decades. Bennett said he did not agree with that thesis.

"But I do know that it's true that if you wanted to reduce crime, you could -- if that were your sole purpose -- you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down," Bennett said, according to an audio clip posted on Media Matters for America's Web site. "That would be an impossible, ridiculous and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down. So these far-out, these far-reaching, you know, extensive extrapolations are, I think, tricky."

You're right, it doesn't seem as bad in context. It was still a ridiculously stupid thing to say. I think had he gone with my comment, there would have been less of a backlash against him.

Jorddyn

Parkbandit
09-30-2005, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by DeV
Care to explain the context.. meaning... what have you? I heard some tidbits on the radio this morning and have been in class all day so I haven't heard anything more.

It sounds completely ignorant the way the statement is being depicted in the media, despite the fact that this is an intelligent man.

I heard it on the radio when I was going to the bank. Basically, some guy calls up his show and says that if we made abortion illegal, then the people we would save would be able to pay for Social Security by themselves and it would not ever go bankrupt. Bennett said that was a stupid example and quoted some book that had an equally stupid coorelation between abortion and society.. being that if you aborted all the black fetuses, that crime would go down. He said it's unrealistic and immoral. That that kind of reasoning simply had no basis of fact in reality.

Clearly, Bennett was showing how stupid the caller's idea was by using an equally stupid idea.

Kinda funny how the liberal rags are trying to show how Bennett is a racist by these remarks. I can make anyone out to be a racist if I take their comments clearly out of context.

Kefka
09-30-2005, 04:22 PM
"But I do know that it's true that if you wanted to reduce inbreeding, you could -- if that were your sole purpose -- you could abort every white baby in this country, and your inbred rate would go down,"

Even taken out of context, I'm sure my opinions concerning white people are very clear.

Parkbandit
09-30-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Kefka
"But I do know that it's true that if you wanted to reduce inbreeding, you could -- if that were your sole purpose -- you could abort every white baby in this country, and your inbred rate would go down,"

Even taken out of context, I'm sure my opinions concerning white people are very clear.

Do yourself a favor and listen to the entire call. It's probably available on some conservative website by now.

After listening to the call, I came to the conclusion that the quote was clearly taken out of context and I had no issue with him.

:shrug:

DeV
09-30-2005, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Jorddyn
From The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/29/AR2005092902126.html)
Bennett's comments came Wednesday, during a discussion on his talk show "Morning in America." A caller had suggested that Social Security would be better funded if abortion had not been legalized in 1973 because the nation would have more workers paying into the system.

Bennett said "maybe," before referring to a book he said argued that the legalization of abortion is one of the reasons the crime rate has declined in recent decades. Bennett said he did not agree with that thesis.

"But I do know that it's true that if you wanted to reduce crime, you could -- if that were your sole purpose -- you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down," Bennett said, according to an audio clip posted on Media Matters for America's Web site. "That would be an impossible, ridiculous and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down. So these far-out, these far-reaching, you know, extensive extrapolations are, I think, tricky."

You're right, it doesn't seem as bad in context. It was still a ridiculously stupid thing to say. I think had he gone with my comment, there would have been less of a backlash against him.

Jorddyn Ah, that clears up some things. And yes, your hypothesis would have been significantly better received, to say the least. :!: Poor choice of words.
Though, I digress my original comment.

xtc
09-30-2005, 06:28 PM
Another example of liberal media spin not that I am ready to run over and start watching Bill O'Reilly.

Ravenstorm
09-30-2005, 06:52 PM
Liberal spin? The White House has also declared his coments 'not appropriate' and I'm thinking they're not depending on some 'liberal rag' to form an opinion.

Or maybe they depended on a CIA report and are just misinformed? :)

Raven

Parkbandit
09-30-2005, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Ravenstorm
Liberal spin? The White House has also declared his coments 'not appropriate' and I'm thinking they're not depending on some 'liberal rag' to form an opinion.

Or maybe they depended on a CIA report and are just misinformed? :)

Raven

I'm sure the White House was just responding to the questions "HEY, DID YOU HEAR WHAT BENNETT SAID ABOUT ABORTING ALL BLACK PEOPLE FETUSES! DO YOU AGREE WITH HIM? DO YOU? DO YOU??"

If you listened to the clip.. then saw all the news articles on the subject today.. there is no other reason for this non-story other than liberal spin.

Maybe ignorance.. but isn't that really the same thing as liberal spin?

:smilegrin:

DeV
09-30-2005, 07:02 PM
The White House has also declared his coments 'not appropriate' Hilarious. They fell into the trap and of course the liberals are to blame. Too funny.

Ravenstorm
09-30-2005, 07:11 PM
If you listened to the clip.. then saw all the news articles on the subject today.. there is no other reason for this non-story other than liberal spin.

I heard and I read. And you haven't seen me call for his lynching either. I do though think he made a moronic statement and deserves to get slapped down for it.

Let's turn it around... If we wanted to lower the rate of intolerance and hatred in this country, all we would need to do is abort all the Christian babies.

Now tell me that wouldn't have cause just as big a fuss.

Raven

Gan
09-30-2005, 07:13 PM
The book that was inferred was "Freakonomics" by Levitt and Dubner.

http://www.freakonomics.com

While its an interesting theory: associating crime rates with the leagalization of abortions, I think its a little far reaching. There are other topics in the book that are covered that are more plausable than Levitt's theory on crime.

Gan
09-30-2005, 07:17 PM

I heard and I read. And you haven't seen me call for his lynching either. I do though think he made a moronic statement and deserves to get slapped down for it.

Let's turn it around... If we wanted to lower the rate of intolerance and hatred in this country, all we would need to do is abort all the Christian babies.

Raven

Hate is a universal attitude that does not require any diety alignment for its appliction. Perhaps a better analagy would be: if you wanted to stop rape you could get rid of all males in the country (I would have used females, but males have been known to rape other males...)

Warriorbird
09-30-2005, 08:35 PM
Women rape women too.

Gan
09-30-2005, 11:17 PM
Not with the same frequency as men do. And the motives are different.

And please dont use an OZ analagies, that show is as far from the truth of prison life as it gets.

Back
09-30-2005, 11:34 PM
The guy, within context, is still being racist.

Not sure why that surprises anybody. I’m white and I know for a fact there is still racism in this country.

Those good ole boys aren’t dead yet. And their sons that they beat aren’t either.

And most of them claim to be hardcore Christians. I’ve never understood it.

Drezzt
10-01-2005, 12:57 AM
Women rape women too.

Yeah, but that's howat...

xtc
10-01-2005, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Backlash
The guy, within context, is still being racist.

Not sure why that surprises anybody. I’m white and I know for a fact there is still racism in this country.

Those good ole boys aren’t dead yet. And their sons that they beat aren’t either.

And most of them claim to be hardcore Christians. I’ve never understood it.

I agree that there is still racism in the USA; there are some states you couldn't pay me to visit.

I don't think it was his intention to be racist. I think the media has an agenda here, when they have taken the quote out of context. Do you remember a few years ago the uproar of the guy you used the term niggardly? Despite the fact the term isn’t racist and the etymology of the word isn’t racist, the guy was fired.

Whenever you generalize a race of people, it is called racism whether those generalizations are correct or not. Were Bennett’s comments statistically correct? Yes. Is a morally reprehensible suggestion? Yes…..but Bennett acknowledged that.

Parkbandit
10-01-2005, 11:05 AM

Raven

You know what? I'm willing to bet you that it wouldn't be nearly the fuss.

Parkbandit
10-01-2005, 11:06 AM
Women rape women too.

That's hot.