PDA

View Full Version : 'Raging Grannies' want to enlist, go to Iraq

Gan
07-22-2005, 03:46 PM
TUCSON, Arizona (AP) -- A group of anti-war senior citizens calling themselves the "Tucson Raging Grannies" say they want to enlist in the U.S. Army and go to Iraq so that their children and grandchildren can come home.

Five members of the group -- which is associated with the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom -- are due in court Monday to face trespassing charges after trying to enlist at a military recruitment center last week.

The group has protested every week for the last three years outside the recruitment center.

"We went in asking to be sent to Iraq so our kids and grandchildren can be sent home, but rather than listening to us, they called the police," said 74-year-old Betty Schroeder. "It was their place to tell us the qualifications, but they wouldn't even speak to us. They should've said, `You're too old."'

Schroeder said her group may approach the Pentagon to see if they could be sent to Iraq.

Nancy Hutchinson, spokeswoman at the Army recruiting headquarters in Phoenix which oversees Tucson's recruiters, said people who disagree with the war should be contacting their legislators instead of bothering recruiters.

"They need to direct their frustrations at people who have the power to change things," Hutchinson said. "Recruiters don't make policy and they can't change policy. They have a job to do and they are following orders."

Schroeder said she hopes the trespassing charges will be dropped and an apology given to the group from the Tucson Police Department and from the recruiters.

"This was not a performance, a joke or civil disobedience," she said. "This was an enlistment attempt."

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

source:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/07/22/raging.grannies.ap/index.html

I applaud their passion. I dont applaud how they went about it. In fact, I think they need to get out of the record heat wave in Arizona. :lol:

Nieninque
07-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Fair play to them

DeV
07-22-2005, 04:03 PM
At least they stand behind their ideals, however crazy they appear to be. I also don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Ok, I chuckled a little.

ElanthianSiren
07-22-2005, 04:03 PM
How does them being sent to Iraq equate to people coming home from Iraq?

-M

DeV
07-22-2005, 04:10 PM
They are a bunch of very old people with a mission. I don't believe logic is being utilized to the fullest or amuch of any degree here. It might also be the Arizona heat.

07-22-2005, 05:05 PM
Neinw\e's avatar is awesome

Vesi
07-22-2005, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by RangerD1
Neinwe's avatar is awesome

I can't watch it. It makes me hurt. :(

Who knows? A bunch of blue hairs in Iraq could do some good... The Granny Corp. We bring cookies and our teeth can be used as thrown weapons. /stereotype

I think their heart is in the right place, though they are fighting a lost cause.

Vesi

Terminator X
07-22-2005, 05:27 PM
i put my life in the hands of beer-pong grandma
http://forum.gsplayers.com/images/public/img-1122010666.jpg
from drunken beerpongers in dorm rooms all over America inviting in the elderly to prevent an RA write-up, we salute you, beerpong grandma :unclesam:

crazymage
07-22-2005, 06:02 PM
http://raginggrannies.com/

Doyle Hargraves
07-22-2005, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by RangerD1
Neinwe's avatar is awesome

It indeed does rule the universe. It's like a 20 second Warclaidhm biography.

Oh yeah uh... old people in Iraq = bad.

[Edited on 7-22-2005 by Doyle Hargraves]