PDA

View Full Version : What are you apathetic to in the political spectrum (voters and non-voters)

ElanthianSiren
07-22-2005, 11:32 AM
For people who are not politically interested -- why? What about politics turns you off?

For people who are politically interested -- what in political debates are you most apathetic to?

I'm apathetic to the repeated cries in this country to repeal the death penalty. If it's proven beyond any reasonable doubt that a person murdered a human being, I think they should die, rather than tax payers supporting them for the rest of their lives. In fact, I wish death by execution would be expanded to pedophiles and rapists, as well.

Conversely though, I'm very touchy about burden of proof. I think if a prosecutor is proven to have lied/manipulated evidence in any case just to get a conviction, they should never be permitted to practice law again.

-M

edited to fix a title that wasn't that clear

[Edited on Fri, July nd, 2005 by ElanthianSiren]

Nieninque
07-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by ElanthianSiren
For people who are not politically interested -- why? What about politics turns you off?

For people who are politically interested -- what in political debates are you most apathetic to?

I'm apathetic to the repeated cries in this country to repeal the death penalty. If it's proven beyond any reasonable doubt that a person murdered a human being, I think they should die, rather than tax payers supporting them for the rest of their lives. In fact, I wish death by execution would be expanded to pedophiles and rapists, as well.

Conversely though, I'm very touchy about burden of proof. I think if a prosecutor is proven to have lied/manipulated evidence in any case just to get a conviction, they should never be permitted to practice law again.

-M

And therein lies a big problem with the death penalty.

How many times are people subsequently proven to be innocent of crimes they have been convicted of?

More than a few.

Once they are dead, there is no quashing that sentence.

CrystalTears
07-22-2005, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Nieninque

How many times are people subsequently proven to be innocent of crimes they have been convicted of?

More than a few.

I completely agree, which is why I'm opposed to the death penalty.

Showal
07-22-2005, 11:37 AM
<<I'm apathetic to the repeated cries in this country to repeal the death penalty. If it's proven beyond any reasonable doubt that a person murdered a human being, I think they should die, rather than tax payers supporting them for the rest of their lives. In fact, I wish death by execution would be expanded to pedophiles and rapists, as well. >>

Ron White has a fantastic stand up bit about this. I agree completely. I guess people say the amount of money spent to execute them is around the same as it is to keep them alive and that's part of what they use a justification against the death penalty.

I'm growing apathetic to the people who are so against Bush. I don't like the guy, but driving around with bumper stickers saying all sorts of psuedo-witty things against Bush has gone past the post of stupid into the realm of obnoxious. We're stuck with him for a few more years, get over it.

Nieninque
07-22-2005, 11:38 AM
I'm apathetic to voting.

Like what's the point?

I always vote for someone else and they never get in.

Showal
07-22-2005, 11:39 AM
I'm getting annoyed with voting. I live in Massachusetts and we vote democratic no matter what (at least in presidental races), so I feel like my vote doesn't count. Now if we moved from electoral to popular voting ... I'd be more convinced I should vote.

CrystalTears
07-22-2005, 11:41 AM
I don't mind people not liking the president and making fun of him. It's the right we have to question (and mock :)) our government.

The problem I have with politics is the "they suck" mentality, rather than dealing with the issues. Yelling about what the other side did, rather than just trying to fix it, infuriates me.

People focus WAY too much on why something happened instead of how to fix it now that it's happened. That's not to say that I'm against people trying to understand why something occured to prevent it in the future, but after a while it needs to be left alone.

People who constantly label you as either conservative or liberal because of some of your views, and use it as an insult.

Skirmisher
07-22-2005, 11:42 AM
I'm totally for the death penalty in the cases that Siren said above.

The standard of proof required in such cases will be much higher, there would be chances for appeal, but the main criteria is when there is not ANY room for doubt.

The man who went crazy like 10 years ago or so in a NY train shooting like half a dozen or so people. No doubt.

Things like that.

Not things like two guys in a bar one night with no one around.

But with PLENTY of witnesses or clear video....yeah, fry em.

And also as was said, if someone can prove prosecutorial misconduct, I would not just fire and disbar them, but prosecute them as well

Showal
07-22-2005, 11:44 AM
<<The problem I have with politics is the "they suck" mentality, rather than dealing with the issues. Yelling about what the other side did, rather than just trying to fix it, infuriates me. >>

That's basically why I'm getting sick of it. People hated Bush and they offered up John Kerry to run against him. That wasn't fixing much except getting rid of Bush.

I'm getting sick of people being "anti-american government" just because it's cool and hip. I understand the US isn't the best or fantastic or perfect, but to blanket it with "The US government sucks" is a pretty blind viewpoint.

ElanthianSiren
07-22-2005, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Nieninque

Originally posted by ElanthianSiren

-M

More than a few.

I was speaking more in terms of any conviction. Yep, you lie/knowingly distort evidence to convict someone in a petty theft crime, you're getting disbarred.

IMO murder convictions are examples of absolutes, but lying is a persistent pathological behavior.

-M

Barbie
07-22-2005, 12:00 PM
I don't like politic stuff cause it hurts my head.

ElanthianSiren
07-22-2005, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Barbie
I don't like politic stuff cause it hurts my head.

Plastic blows up easily, I've heard.

-M

Back
07-22-2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Showal
I'm getting sick of people being "anti-american government" just because it's cool and hip. I understand the US isn't the best or fantastic or perfect, but to blanket it with "The US government sucks" is a pretty blind viewpoint.

Not calling you out on your views, Showal, but the bold line above I have heard before. Is it really considered “cool and hip” to be anti-administration right now?

As in disagreement with this administration as I am I can’t say that I enjoy it. At all. I don’t feel cool or hip either. Its a source of daily anxiety and frustration. I don’t like anxiety and frustration on a daily basis.

Oddly enough, it seems to me that its more “hip” to bash liberals and the left considering FOX’s ratings and that people like Bill O’Rielly and Hannity and Combs and Scarborough etc enjoy so much popularity.

I agree with you 1000% that just the blanket “US Government Sucks” is stupid.

DeV
07-22-2005, 12:18 PM
I'm apathetic to people who are apathetic about political issues as a whole. Everyone should be at least somewhat interested in the laws and people that shape our future.

I know, it's an extremely narrow ass reply, but I don't have the energy to make my brain work the way I'd like to, this glorious Friday morning.

07-22-2005, 12:20 PM
:rofl: x1000000 at D

- Arkans

Gan
07-22-2005, 12:21 PM
I'm pretty much in agreement with Skirmisher.

Showal
07-22-2005, 12:37 PM
<<Not calling you out on your views, Showal, but the bold line above I have heard before. Is it really considered “cool and hip” to be anti-administration right now? >>

I would say, yes, it is. The amount of college students who protest against Bush without really understanding anything about the administration or politics in general is pretty high. So many people felt like they knew everything about Bush after watching Michael Moore's bullshit. I don't like Bush, but I can't stand Michael Moore. He's a smart guy, yes, but he offers a very one sided view and twists facts to prove a point. I feel like it is becoming American to question everything, no matter how reasonable or petty, our government does just because people feel like they're supposed to or "the government is evil".

<<As in disagreement with this administration as I am I can’t say that I enjoy it. At all. I don’t feel cool or hip either. Its a source of daily anxiety and frustration. I don’t like anxiety and frustration on a daily basis. >>

For the most part, I feel like you have legitimate problems with the Bush administration. There have been a few posts I haven't agreed with, but I don't think you're doing it to be hip and I can see why it causes you frustration.

<<Oddly enough, it seems to me that its more “hip” to bash liberals and the left considering FOX’s ratings and that people like Bill O’Rielly and Hannity and Combs and Scarborough etc enjoy so much popularity.>>

I'll agree that this is just as common and just as annoying.

DeV
07-22-2005, 12:46 PM
That's kind odd because I sort of see it in an opposite light. It's becoming increasingly "cool and hip" to label oneself as a Republican or Conservative because it's seemingly unpopular and downright repulsive [to some] to be associated with that dreaded L-Word or anything the main liberal party(Democrat) stands for or represents.

There is no protesting on the college campuses I'm assocaited with, but I do see with a increasing furiousity that more students are questioning the policies of the Administration, politics in general, and trying to find their place in the political atmosphere. Many do it for the wrong reasons but then again, they have been told for so long that neither their opinions or votes matter so while some of it may be attributed to hype I'd like to feel that most college students are genuinly interested in what's going on in politics, regardless of what side they're rooting for.

Showal
07-22-2005, 12:59 PM
I went to a college full of psuedo intellectuals. I've been to many social gatherings where people are called out and made fun of for being Bush followers or Republicans. Maybe we just run with different crowds, however, this is what I have seen.

Just last weekend, someone brought up something ... I admit it was pretty stupid, but to shut him up, someone just yelled out "Shut the fuck up you voted for Bush your opinion doesn't count". Everyone started laughing at the kid and he basically had to shut up. I see this on a fairly frequent basis.

I just have seen college students becoming involved in politics without an idea about what's going on. I understand they're trying to find themselves in the political world ... but until they understand what's going on, I don't see what motivates them to take place in such fervent debates to just repeat things they've seen in a michael moore film and to use that as their only point of defense.

Tsa`ah
07-22-2005, 01:12 PM
I'm apathetic toward the vocal group that doesn't vote; likewise I'm apathetic toward the non-issues that become political stances.

These are nothing more than distractions to keep the people at odds with each other.

Abortion is a non-issue. Legalizing or making it a criminal act has no impact on society what so ever.

Drug legalization is a non-issue.

Hell, there are so many distraction platforms that I'm stumbling over my thoughts trying to organize more.

The root of most "social" issues and problems can be remedied into near non-existence in a few generations by simply overhauling our education and healthcare systems.

When people are free from financial constraints to educate themselves and acquire healthcare, with a solid parochial education as a foundation, you'll find a downward trend in such things as "mental" illness, unwanted pregnancy, student violence, drug abuse.

Education is the curing balm no one wants to address in any branch of government. At least not so far as token interests that may get a few more votes come election. Healthcare is the supplement to that balm.

Sean
07-22-2005, 01:13 PM
I think the 'cool' factor of being liberal or conservative is really based around where you live. If you live in large metropolitan areas or 'blue' states your probably going to be on the liberal train and if your a conservative your going to view it as a fad. If you live in wheatfields out in central US your or a 'Red' state the fads/trends probably slope the other way.

ElanthianSiren
07-22-2005, 01:14 PM
Actually, I haven't seen that either at colleges. In Michigan, it was pretty repulsive to others to not be a christian conservative; granted, Yswinthe will remind you that this was around the Holland area.

Since you said you were from Mass, I see it being possible though. Obviously, if you're in a democrat stronghold, you're going to run in with a lot more democrats.

-M

Showal
07-22-2005, 01:23 PM
Yeah, I went to Boston College ... which is a Jesuit institution. Regardless, I saw less of a religious conservative view than anything else.

Warriorbird
07-22-2005, 01:30 PM
I'm apathetic about gun control, global warming, and the death penalty.