PDA

View Full Version : California County to use Ebonics

Atlanteax
07-18-2005, 03:02 PM
I was also amused by the following:

Texeira suggested that including Ebonics in the program would be beneficial for students. Ebonics, a dialect of American English that is spoken by many blacks throughout the country, was recognized as a separate language in 1996 by the Oakland school board.

"Ebonics is a different language, it's not slang as many believe,' Texeira said. "For many of these students Ebonics is their language, and it should be considered a foreign language. These students should be taught like other students who speak a foreign language.'

Will wonders never cease for US Education?

Link was provided by Drudge

http://www.sbsun.com/Stories/0,1413,208~12588~2969790,00.html

Hulkein
07-18-2005, 03:10 PM
I think I know ebonics well enough to claim myself as bilingual on applications. Pretty cool.

Anebriated
07-18-2005, 03:12 PM
Link was provided by Drudge

another worthy read...

Showal
07-18-2005, 03:38 PM
Isn't the Drudge report and articles so grossly biased that they really shouldn't be trusted? Regardless, an entertaining read.

Atlanteax
07-18-2005, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Showal
Isn't the Drudge report and articles so grossly biased that they really shouldn't be trusted? Regardless, an entertaining read.

It's not an actual Drudge Report.

It was a link provided by the site to an article written by someone else.

Kinda like how ESPN will link to local newspaper articles within their own articiles.

Showal
07-18-2005, 03:41 PM
Nonetheless, aren't I correct in my ideas about the drudge report?

DeV
07-18-2005, 03:43 PM
Ebonics is not a fucking language.

That is all.

Atlanteax
07-18-2005, 03:48 PM

I suppose, as the actual Drudge reports themselves could be bias.

However, this article was not written by Drudge, so I don't think it applies.

It's linked on the Site, because apparently Drudge considers it a bit more newsworthy than the norm.

This is not necessary an endorsement of the Drudge Report website, but I do find it to serve as a convient filter of existing news that I may have otherwise missed, as I don't read the BBC or the papers of various US cities, etc etc.

Showal
07-18-2005, 03:50 PM
<<"There are African Americans who do not agree with me. They say that (black students) are lazy and that they need to learn to talk,' Texeira said.>>

I agree that they (the speakers of ebonics) need to learn how to talk. I guess ebonics qualifies technically as a dialect, but I don't think it should be considered as an acceptable form of speech. Imagine a kid leaving this program to try to succeed at any university and trying to continue to use ebonics. I knew a lot of kids at my past two colleges that spoke only in "ebonics" when out of the classroom but were fully capable of speaking and comprehending English in the classroom.

<<I think I know ebonics well enough to claim myself as bilingual on applications. Pretty cool.>>

Only if you can test out of your college level classes.

Gan
07-18-2005, 03:55 PM
The link was actually the San Bernardino sun website, just linked through Drudge. Thus the credibility is somewhat higher.

Some interesting notes on the article:

"Texeira said research has shown that students learn better when they fully comprehend the language they are being taught in."

We're talking English to begin with. Correctly teach them english and they will have no trouble comprehending english. This sounds like we're just making up for poor educational performance by the schools/teachers.

"There are African Americans who do not agree with me. They say that (black students) are lazy and that they need to learn to talk,' Texeira said."

Lets not just single this out to African Americans. Its all kinds of Americans who are too lazy to talk. Try understanding someone from southern Louisana, or deep east Texas, or other remote parts of northern, eastern, southern, and western regions. The key to remember is American and English. Thats what you should expect when you come to the USA. Experiencing other cultures, languages, and the like is just a bonus to our free society.

"I'm afraid that now that we have this the Hispanic community, our largest population, will say, 'We want something for us.' Next we'll have the Asian community and the Jewish community (asking for their own programs). When will it end?'"

My thoughts exactly...

I'm waiting for the day when Americans are proud to be American, not whatever-American.

Showal
07-18-2005, 03:59 PM
<<Its all kinds of Americans who are too lazy to talk. Try understanding someone from southern Louisana, or deep east Texas, or other remote parts of northern, eastern, southern, and western regions. >>

There are a lot of people in parts of Texas that actually speak like Boomhauer from King of the Hill. When can I take classes in that dialect?

I know this wasn't a Drudge written article. I was just commenting on the Drudge report to begin with.

ElanthianSiren
07-18-2005, 04:03 PM
:rolleyes: Ebonics is not a language. It's a dialect of English. I fully expect that all individuals following this post shall learn to post in my exact style, including semi-colons. You will all use semi colons correctly!

In all seriousness, the thing that concerns me more is if Cal. County does use it, they are sure to make it so that the children who WOULD apply themselves to learn and speak proper English will not. In short, they will ensure a status quoa that is not representative of the majority of America. It seems to me, that this would exacerbate any, even small, difficulty that these individuals may have inserting themselves into culture beyond the local one.

-M

edited for clarity. I wish you guys would tell me when I post fast and make no sense!

[Edited on Mon, July th, 2005 by ElanthianSiren]

Showal
07-18-2005, 04:06 PM
I will IM you tonight to begin my classes in Melissa's Posting Style.

DeV
07-18-2005, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by ElanthianSiren
You will all use semi colons correctly!
Nooooooo!

Is resistance futile?

Hulkein
07-18-2005, 04:32 PM

Drudge is a conservative, yes... That really has nothing to do with the article posted, though, seeing as he didn't write it and has nothing to do with drudgereport.

Only if you can test out of your college level classes.

Only 24 credits left to go. ;)

[Edited on 7-18-2005 by Hulkein]

ElanthianSiren
07-18-2005, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by DeV
Nooooooo!

Is resistance futile?

Resistance is.... FU-tIle human!

I will IM you tonight to begin my classes in Melissa's Posting Style.

Free Ferret Squnting classes included in your one time subscription fee of your soul to the proper English borg. Get yours now!

-M

Warriorbird
07-18-2005, 04:49 PM
The whole notion would be like me wahndrin into ah place and sayhin ah speak Sutharn.

You get worse service in lots of places down here if you don't have a genuine accent. With that said, I don't think they need courses in it.

Ebonics is a ridiculous idea. Not, mind you, that Drudge isn't playing into the latent tendencies of his readers by linking it.

Kainen
07-18-2005, 06:23 PM
With schools closing due to low funds why the fuck are they paying to add a new "lauguage" to the school??? Talk about fucking retarded.

Latrinsorm
07-18-2005, 06:36 PM
Hey Holm, I can dig it! You know he ain't gonna lay no mo' big rap upon you man!

Edaarin
07-18-2005, 06:42 PM
LAtrinsorm, if you said that in real life I'd probably slap you.

I had two black roommates and a black suitemate over the past 3 years....and I swear I learn new slang at least every few days...

Latrinsorm
07-18-2005, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Edaarin
LAtrinsorm, if you said that in real life I'd probably slap you.Slap me five? I'm down with that! Up top! Are we going to bird it? Can you do the bird?

Seriously though, it's a line from Airplane in the jive dialect.

Ardwen
07-18-2005, 07:08 PM
You know using semi colons incorrectly isnt that bad, when they start using their colons incorrectly then its time to worry Melissa.

Ardwen

Dwarven Empath
07-18-2005, 07:16 PM
If they teach ebonics, I hope they teach deep south too.

Now getterdun yahear!

Jonty
07-18-2005, 10:31 PM
For many of these students Ebonics is their language, and it should be considered a foreign language. These students should be taught like other students who speak a foreign language.'

It it were to be considered a language... why would it be a foreign one?

Gan
07-19-2005, 12:50 AM
If this were to be ratified then I would expect each state to follow suit and legislate its own form of 'language' for education. :lol: