PDA

View Full Version : Clinton seeks video game sex scene probe

Gan
07-15-2005, 10:49 AM
Friday, July 15, 2005; Posted: 8:38 a.m. EDT (12:38 GMT)
WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Sen. Hillary Clinton pressed Thursday for a government investigation into how simulated sex cropped up in a modified version of the blockbuster criminal adventure video game "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas."

Clinton asked the Federal Trade Commission to investigate the origins of a downloadable modification that allows simulated sex in the personal computer version of one of the most popular and controversial video games in history.

"We should all be deeply disturbed that a game which now permits the simulation of lewd sexual acts in an interactive format with highly realistic graphics has fallen into the hands of young people across the country," Clinton wrote in a letter to the head of the Federal Trade Commission.

Saying the problem of explicit video games was "spiraling out of control," Clinton also said she was introducing legislation that would crack down on the sale of violent and sex-laden games to minors.

The legislation would impose a $5,000 penalty on retailers who sell adult-rated video games to underage children.

Clinton asked the FTC to look into whether Grand Theft Auto's rating of "M" (Mature 17+) should be changed to the rare "AO" (Adult Only), which would threaten to crimp sales at large retail outlets.

The PlayStation2 version of "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" was the No. 1 game of 2004, selling just over 5 million copies, according to industry researcher NPD Funworld.

She requested the agency to study whether retailers' enforcement policies were adequate to keep adult-rated video games out of the hands of minors.

An FTC spokeswoman said the agency had received Clinton's letter and was reviewing it.

Clinton's comments were the latest in a chorus of criticism that has intensified since the revelation about sex scenes in the modified Grand Theft Auto. The game series has drawn numerous detractors because of its sexual and violent content.

Players who download a modification, known as "hot coffee," from the Internet can make a male character engage in various sex acts with a virtual "girlfriend." Sex is suggested in the official version of the game, but does not happen on screen.

The game's manufacturer, a subsidiary of Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. called Rockstar Games, has said hackers are responsible for the modification.

In a statement released Thursday, Rockstar said it supported the video game rating system and efforts to keep adult-rated games away from children.

But without referring to Clinton, the company said it was "disappointed by comments that misrepresent Grand Theft Auto, detracting from the innovative and artistic merits of the game."

"Unfortunately, the recent confusion only serves to suggest that games do not deserve the same treatment as other forms of creative expression," Rockstar said in its statement.

The Entertainment Software Rating Board last week launched a probe into whether the sexual minigame content was deliberately hidden in the game code and unlocked by the "hot coffee" modification, or if it was solely the result of the modification.

The "hot coffee" modification, which violates the game's software user agreement, is the result of hackers disassembling and then combining, recompiling and altering the game's source code, Rockstar said.

Copyright 2005 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/07/15/senate.videogame.reut/index.html

This article makes her sounds like a censorship loving right wing Republican.
WTF? :?:

Bobmuhthol
07-15-2005, 10:53 AM
I don't get it. She wants San Andreas to stop being sold to minors because the people who buy it mod it and distribute the mod? Has she ever played a fucking video game before?

DeV
07-15-2005, 10:58 AM
Probably not. I think the current rating is accurate for this game though. The language would be more my concern than the simulated sex acts in game of people who modify their systems. God... these politicians and their priorities.

Gan
07-15-2005, 11:02 AM
She's just jealous because Rove is getting more air time than she is.

Wezas
07-15-2005, 11:15 AM
What a coincidence. I just downloaded the game a few weeks ago.

Now, to find that mod.

Back
07-15-2005, 11:16 AM
Typical. Its the sex that offends her, not the waton violence.

Fission
07-15-2005, 11:18 AM
God... these politicians and their priorities.

Just imagine if she'd put this much effort into stopping her own husband from fucking around for real. But I guess that wouldn't advance her career, would it?

:hump:

CrystalTears
07-15-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by DeV
The language would be more my concern than the simulated sex acts in game of people who modify their systems.

:?:

Not really trying to come down on you personally, but since you brought it up, please explain to me how language is bad and violence is okay? Seriously. Maybe it's because I don't get the censorship of words these days when the content is much worse than what words were used to convey that message.

There is already graphic violence in the game, and now a mod with sex, and you're worried about the language? I honestly don't understand that.

ElanthianSiren
07-15-2005, 11:46 AM
Neither one bother me, personally. When I play fighting games, or hell, even GS, I don't sit there saying, "OMG!!! THIS IS SO REAL!!!"

People like to blame the media for violence while teaching their children that violence is fine. "Don't hit your sister!" *WHACK WHACK WHACK!* "Hitting is R BAD!!!"

Also, if you plop your kid down in front of a TV for most of their life, don't expect them to have a concept of reality.

Just some criticisms only somewhat related to the article, more to do with parenting.

In light of the article, I doubt Clinton has any idea what a hack is and how it relates. I certainly doubt that she has any idea that many are personal modifications by users and not affiliated with the company creating the game/general release. That said, she shouldn't have opened her mouth.

-M

Fission
07-15-2005, 11:47 AM
She's probably just pissed that Bill won't get off her computer since he installed the hack.

:smilegrin:

DeV
07-15-2005, 11:48 AM
I'm saying, as a politician that would be more my concern if I was coming from the angle she's coming from. Not me, personally. I happen to enjoy the graphic violence for some warped reason, and the language was a little shocking but not really; I also happen to be an adult and not a minor.

As a minor one is to expect some degree of violence, even in games with a teen rating. That's why I focused on the language... for that reason alone.

On point, I was referring to ni**a this, and ni**a that which is one of the first things you hear in the opening scene. It was just an example... if you will, CT. However bad it might have been.

p.s. You can come down on me any time. :smilegrin:

Anebriated
07-15-2005, 11:49 AM
I dont really have anything additional to add that hasnt already been said but I did want to say that the image in bob's sig is hilarious.

ElanthianSiren
07-15-2005, 11:50 AM
tsk tsk Dev... We're going to chang yout posting name to innuendo :P .

-M

CrystalTears
07-15-2005, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by DeV
I'm saying, as a politician that would be more my concern if I was coming from the angle she's coming from. Not me, personally. I happen to enjoy the graphic violence for some warped reason, and the language was a little shocking but not really; I also happen to be an adult and not a minor.

As a minor one is to expect some degree of violence, even in games with a teen rating. That's why I focused on the language... for that reason alone.

On point, I was referring to ni**a this, and ni**a that which is one of the first things you hear in the opening scene. It was just an example... if you will, CT. However bad it might have been.

Okay, that makes more sense, which is why I wanted you to elaborate a bit if that was YOU talking, or the stance that a politician should take. In that case, I agree with you.

p.s. You can come down on me any time. :smilegrin:

You are SUCH a tease. :heart:

[Edited on 7/15/2005 by CrystalTears]

Landrion
07-15-2005, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Fission

Just imagine if she'd put this much effort into stopping her own husband from fucking around for real. But I guess that wouldn't advance her career, would it?

That, and maybe if Ole' Billy put it to the bitch once in a while instead of whatever the hell he does these days shed be a little less uptight.

Doyle Hargraves
07-15-2005, 01:56 PM
Hillary sounds almost as retarded as Joe Lieberman.

Gan
07-15-2005, 01:59 PM
Congratulations, you've just burned an image into my head that I really did not want just after lunch...

:barf:

Numbers
07-15-2005, 02:01 PM
I think the primary problem is that the "sex mini-game" in San Andreas was NOT a mod, but a part of the original programming. Apparently, using a code disc for the PS2 (such as Action Replay, I think?) you can enter a code and unlock the mini-game on the console.

The reason Rockstar can get into a lot of trouble for this is that they did not disclose that the mini-game was still in the game code to the ESRB. If they had, chances are the game would have gotten an A (adult) rating.

Wezas
07-15-2005, 02:24 PM
ROFL

http://files.gtanet.com/images/1913.jpg

http://files.gtanet.com/images/1914.jpg

http://files.gtanet.com/images/1915.jpg

There's also a video but that damn site is so slow I'm not going to link it.

The actual mod download is only 1.23mb (which definately makes me think that R* definately coded it) - and the current though it Rockstar was going to include it, but decided after it was coded to disable it.

R* is known for making their code easily crackable/modded. That is why there are sites like http://multitheftauto.com that actually modify the partially written code that would make GTA multiplayer.

Should it be an issue? I don't know. A person has to actually find, download, and install the modification to do the activities listed. It's not like just using a cheat code and seeing some boobies.

Warriorbird
07-15-2005, 02:25 PM
Bill likes his chicks thicker.

Doyle Hargraves
07-15-2005, 02:27 PM
Rockstar could always argue that since they're still wearing their clothes, they're not actually having sex.

Wezas
07-15-2005, 02:37 PM
Uh yeah, after watching the video. That is definately code R* added. The voices are the same, etc.

And the video shows him being a bit more forceful than the pictures I posted. (grabbing the back of her head during oral and pushing down hard)

R* might have majorly screwed up with this one.

Also, Doyle in the video I just saw, she was completely naked. He was still fully clothed though.

And there was much boobie grabbing action as well.

[Edited on 7-15-2005 by Wezas]

DeV
07-21-2005, 02:17 PM
NOT SO FAST: The video game industry has changed its rating for
the best-selling "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" to Adults Only
instead of Mature, for 17 and older.
HIDDEN SCENE: The game includes explicit sexual content that can
be unlocked with an Internet download. The company says the
material was never meant to be seen by users.
FALLOUT: Wal-Mart Stores Inc., Target Corp. and Best Buy Co. are
pulling all copies from their shelves. The game's publisher is
making a cleaned-up version.

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

TheRoseLady
07-21-2005, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Fission

Yes because women are at fault when their husbands cheat? :jerkit:

Ridiculous.

Terminator X
07-21-2005, 02:35 PM
that article suprises me this much: <-->
reason? what Ganalon just posted is completely what i would expect from a woman whose own friggin husband was too afraid to put it in her mouth....
fortunately, unlike the female species, it isn't a prerequisite for dudes to give oral , so i'm saved forever from taking my vengence out on pixels <runs>

BTW, what the fuck? the 'sex' mod is only audio!
uncle sam has simulations that voluntarily trick idiots into joining a very possibly deadly job , but god forbid you hear a fake orgasm.... well shit, america cant deal with that
ya know, since we are on this fucking mind-opening path, i say we dont just stop with mature rated video games..
..how about anytime the word "UNF!" is typed out, albeit in a forum or on your erotic poetry thesis, that we start initiating blacklisting slash no fly rules? while we are at it, we might as well slash and burn any potential potential UNF!-ers out of the immaculate english dictionary
hey hillary, i got a word for you UNFucking fair you whorish bitch
and fuck our shitstain of a president for being such an incompitent douche that someone like hillary r. clinton actually looks like an eligible candidate. SHEEEEEIT!

sorry, i really like GTA :blush:

Wezas
07-21-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Terminator X
BTW, what the fuck? the 'sex' mod is only audio!

No, it is definately video/gameplay as well.

I installed and tried this mod. It involves you being able to control thrusts, camera angles, and positions. There is a bar in which you try to *fill* to get the intended result. The result being your *girlfriend* being happy and your relationship meter with her increasing.

The girls are fully nude in this mod. CJ (the main character) is however, dresssed. CJ grabs and pushes down the back of their heads repeatedly during oral sex. After that action it goes into the gameplay mode I mentioned above.

Terminator X
07-21-2005, 02:42 PM
is there wang? because unless you attach a pp wouldnt it still be all 'softcore' and what not?
and damnit I need to get GTA for the pc then :(

[Edited on 7-21-2005 by Terminator X]

Bobmuhthol
07-21-2005, 02:51 PM
I can't begin to imagine what playing San Andreas would be like on PS2.

Actually, I can. I started a game for like 15 minutes once and it was fucking horrible.

Wezas
07-21-2005, 02:51 PM
There is no *wang* as CJ is totally dressed throughout the mission.

I hear that some of the "Action Replay" type of cheaters will also enable it for the Xbox version.

Terminator X
07-21-2005, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Wezas
There is no *wang* as CJ is totally dressed throughout the mission.

I hear that some of the "Action Replay" type of cheaters will also enable it for the Xbox version.

this never would have happened if it wasnt black on white! :mad: racists!!!!

:heart: GTA

Wezas
07-21-2005, 03:36 PM
Actually the first girlfriend is black.

Bobmuhthol
07-21-2005, 03:45 PM
I fucking hate Tenpenny. Not only does he have you torch a house with a girl inside, but you end up having to date her. He's such a dick.

AnticorRifling
07-21-2005, 03:47 PM
I wonder if this will get Duke Nukem 3d pulled from the shelves for the strippers heh.

07-21-2005, 03:48 PM
The best guy is the Government guy. I fucking love him.

"You'll be back in time for a blowjob and a bologna sandwich!"

- Arkans

Terminator X
07-21-2005, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Wezas
Actually the first girlfriend is black.
that was around the time i was stealing the rhyme book from 'mad dogg' to give to OG Loc so i didnt really have any time for roast beef
cheap ass rhyme-biters! hate em

[Edited on 7-21-2005 by Terminator X]

xtc
07-21-2005, 04:02 PM
That article said the video game is full of lewd sex acts. Certainly there is a Clinton qualified to investigate a video game full of lewd sex acts but Hilary isn't the one.

Terminator X
07-21-2005, 04:05 PM
^5 xtc

Latrinsorm
07-21-2005, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling
I wonder if this will get Duke Nukem 3d pulled from the shelves for the strippers heh. I used to walk up to women and hit my "space bar" all the time.

Proventil
07-21-2005, 11:17 PM
hahahahahahah
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/gaming/7925/

SpunGirl
07-21-2005, 11:58 PM
It's up to parents to police their children's video game choices, not Senator Clinton. I'm not convinced that any parent would say, "yay, steal the cars, shoot the cops, beat up the hookers!" and then be like, "but nooooo, no computer-graphical sex! geez, that game is getting taken AWAY!"

Besides, kids can find way better p0rn on the internet than that.

-K

Wezas
07-22-2005, 09:52 AM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2005/20050720l.jpg