PDA

View Full Version : United Church of Christ Backs Alternative Marriage

ElanthianSiren
07-04-2005, 07:21 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050704/ap_on_re_us/united_church_gays_11

It's about time :)

-M

Ilvane
07-04-2005, 08:34 PM
I'm glad they did this too, but of course, it's not going to go over well with the "Religious right".

-=A

Gan
07-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Whats interesting is that its not the first 'christian' religion to adopt this stance and its getting closer and closer to the main baptist organization (this doesnt count the unofficial baptist churches who accept alternative/gay couples in their congregation).

And as society becomes more and more amenable to this lifestyle then organized religion will face a huge delimma in survival if they do not bend to the beliefs of today's society. Its hard to preach from the pulpit when no one is in the pews to listen... Those that dont adapt will fall victim to one of Darwins theory regarding adapability and survival. And thats really ironic.

ElanthianSiren
07-04-2005, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Ganalon

as society becomes more and more amenable to this lifestyle then organized religion will face a huge delimma in survival if they do not bend to the beliefs of today's society. Its hard to preach from the pulpit when no one is in the pews to listen... Those that dont adapt will fall victim to one of Darwins theory regarding adapability and survival. And thats really ironic.

I confess, the irony brought a little snicker... just a tiny one.

I for one am very happy to see more churches embracing loving couples. The interesting thing, to me, is the conflict of church and state that this may raise, in that marriage is both a religious and legal institution in this country. So would you then be technically half married? -Not a lawyer, but it does seem interesting from outside the bubble.

-M

07-05-2005, 02:06 PM
The Church will not collapse due to the gay marriage issue. Thinking it will is nothing short of ridiculous.

- Arkans

xtc
07-05-2005, 02:10 PM
If this church is the same one as The United Church in Canada then it is an uber liberal activist church.

07-05-2005, 02:11 PM
Not only that, but the article states that if it was to the people it would have most likely overwhelmingly failed instead of passed. No way and no how does this signify any changes in any major religions.

- Arkans

DeV
07-05-2005, 02:21 PM
When churches are defined by their formal statements and denominational habits and not the way the people in the pews regard others, then one can definitely say this Church as a whole demonstrates very liberal views.

However, all members of the UCC do not support the vote and I'd even go farther and wager that [most] of the members hold conservative beliefs, at least the long standing ones. The governing body has become increasingly radicaly liberal in their positions on certain hot topics in recent years.

theotherjohn
07-05-2005, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by ElanthianSiren
It's about time

why make a resolution that is not binding on individual churches?

oh yeah because they know it would desolve the UCC if they tried to make it a binding rule

Gan
07-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Arkans
Not only that, but the article states that if it was to the people it would have most likely overwhelmingly failed instead of passed. No way and no how does this signify any changes in any major religions.

- Arkans

You're correct in this instance where the church's membership is contradiction with the leadership.

""If we had put it to a vote of the people in the pews, it would have failed overwhelmingly," he said. "This is truly Independence Day for the UCC — we have declared ourselves independent from the teachings of Jesus and the clear teachings of Scripture."

UCC churches are autonomous, meaning the General Synod does not create policy for its more than 5,700 congregations."

It makes me wonder what the General Synod is there for if the churches are autonomous.

As for gay marriages or anything relating to gay/homosexuality, it is a very large issue with the Baptist church and more specifically the Southern Baptist Convention, where they are finding more and more churches leaving the SBC organization and becomming more moderate in their views and doxocology - and in some instances accepting open homosexuality and performing gay marriages in the church. Something the SBC has staunchly not supported. So it is an issue with some religions... and for those who preach steadfast discrimination against a lifestyle that is starting to gain more and more acceptance in today's society - well they will eventually have to adapt or they will not survive in the capacity that they are now in. As the catholic church has already proven, they will bend (albiet even in little steps) towards the will of the people in order to ensure that the people will still worship and support their cause.

Artha
07-05-2005, 05:51 PM
""If we had put it to a vote of the people in the pews, it would have failed overwhelmingly," he said. "This is truly Independence Day for the UCC — we have declared ourselves independent from the teachings of Jesus and the clear teachings of Scripture."
I always knew the Unitarians were weird.

Ravenstorm
07-05-2005, 05:59 PM
The UCC are not the Unitarians.

Raven

Artha
07-05-2005, 06:04 PM
My bad.

Latrinsorm
07-05-2005, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Crazy UCC guys
we have declared ourselves independent from the teachings of Jesus a) They really, really need to change their names.
b) It's really not that hard to rectify a gay union with the teachings of Jesus.

Gan
07-05-2005, 07:27 PM
For a minute I thought you said rectalfy...

damn I need more caffeene.

Forged
07-05-2005, 07:50 PM
It appears homosexuals really are the new Semites.

WTG, fundamentalist Christians!!!!

07-05-2005, 08:07 PM
That's right, the Church is after the gays! Wooooooooooooo! Give me a fucking break.

- Arkans