PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Barack Obama - "working hard at killing his career"

Apotheosis
06-28-2005, 12:03 AM
Whether or not good 'ole Abe Lincoln was the "great emancipator" that the History books recorded, Obama seems to be working hard at killing himself politically.

I mean, I like the guy, honestly. Any democrat that can convince my conservative, affluent, white, Italian-American relatives in Chicago to vote for him gets my respect.

http://www.belleville.com/mld/belleville/news/local/11992619.htm

U.S. Sen. Barack Obama draws parallels to Lincoln

Associated Press

CHICAGO - Sen. Barack Obama sees parallels between Abraham Lincoln's life and his own, but he says the nation's 16th president might not have envisioned a black man occupying the seat he now holds.

Obama, who occupies the U.S. Senate seat from Illinois that Lincoln lost to Stephen Douglas in 1858, wrote about how Lincoln shaped his life in an upcoming special issue of Time magazine.

"In Lincoln's rise from poverty, his ultimate mastery of language and law, his capacity to overcome personal loss and remain determined in the face of repeated defeat - in all this, he reminded me not just of my own struggles. He also reminded me of a larger, fundamental element of American life - the enduring belief that we can constantly remake ourselves to fit our larger dreams," Obama wrote in a package dubbed 'Uncovering the Real Abe Lincoln,' on newsstands Monday.

Obama, a Chicago Democrat who is just the fifth black senator in U.S. history, also raised questions about Lincoln's role in ending slavery.

"I cannot swallow whole the view of Lincoln as the Great Emancipator," Obama said. "As a law professor and civil rights lawyer and as an African-American, I am fully aware of his limited views on race. Anyone who actually reads the Emancipation Proclamation knows it was more a military document than a clarion call for justice."

And as for what Lincoln may have thought about Obama's election to the Senate in 2004?

"He may not have dreamed of that exact outcome. But I like to believe he would have appreciated the irony," Obama said.

06-28-2005, 12:18 AM
I see him being a Jessie Jackson type in a few years. Chicago already has the real thing, we don't need another.

Tsa`ah
06-28-2005, 07:10 AM
How is that killing his career? Anyone who ever paid attention in American history knows that Lincoln's intent was not equality for slaves. Lincoln's intent was to ship them back to Africa, regardless of when they were born and who their fathers were.

Slavery wasn't the only issue during the Civil War; it's just the most discussed issue.

Per Obama being just another Jesse Jackson ... that just lacks the legs required to stand. Care to elaborate or legitimize your claim?

Ilvane
06-28-2005, 07:25 AM
I think Obama is great.There's nothing wrong with what he said either.

How exactly does this ruin his career?

-A

Nieninque
06-28-2005, 07:27 AM
Errr...because he is Black?

:duh:

Skirmisher
06-28-2005, 07:51 AM
Barack Obama- "I cannot swallow whole the view of Lincoln as the Great Emancipator," Obama said. "As a law professor and civil rights lawyer and as an African-American, I am fully aware of his limited views on race. Anyone who actually reads the Emancipation Proclamation knows it was more a military document than a clarion call for justice."

That sounds about right to me.

Of course it was intended to cut off the souths workforce to some extent, but as he did not yet control the south, was he actually freeing the slaves? Or course not.

Just as important, it was a political document meant to stop any more British intervention be it either covert or overt as they had long since found slavery unpalatable. By making the issue of slavery so prominent, it made public support for the south in England a much more touchy subject and was therefore successfull.

The end result was that slavery was ended in the US, and that cannot be seen as anything but a good thing, the manner in which it came about should however be able to be spoken of more than one hundred years later without trying to whitewash (okay, okay small pun intended) all that transpired to bring that about.

theotherjohn
06-28-2005, 08:10 AM
why is this news?

The news should be hey I only got elected because I beat another black man who only became a resident of Illionis just for the election

Warriorbird
06-28-2005, 08:55 AM
Gosh. All liberal black men must be just like Jesse Jackson, Dave.

:rolls eyes:

Obama's a hell of a speaker and a pretty sharp guy.

Skirmisher
06-28-2005, 09:27 AM
I actually am not a huge fan of Obama, but happen to agree with him in the above statement is all.

Warriorbird
06-28-2005, 10:56 AM
In addition, there's a whole lot of "Lincoln" symbolism that gets alluded to in Illinois politics. "The Land of Lincoln" is even on some of their license plates.

[Edited on 6-28-2005 by Warriorbird]

Apotheosis
06-28-2005, 12:28 PM
I'm not disagreeing with what Obama said in regards to Abraham Lincoln.

All I am trying to say is that less educated fellows, not the posters here, will misinterpret this, and it may cause him problems in the future politically, depending on what political route he might want to take.

Honestly, I'd like to see him run for President in the next 12 years or so, I would definitely vote for him.

[Edited on 6-28-2005 by Yswithe]

DeV
06-28-2005, 12:52 PM
Here we are seeing a state senator from Illinois captivate a national audience by speaking from the heart(hopefully), telling it like it is(so far he hasn't disappointed), and giving people some symbolence of hope.

Unfortunately, what he was saying regarding the true meaning behind the Emancipation Proclamation is something most of us learn after our secondary schooling years instead of during. If at least grown people can't undrstand it, then its about time they started.

Speeches are funny things though, as they can do as much harm as good.

theotherjohn
06-28-2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by DeV
Here we are seeing a state senator from Illinois

that was born in Hawaii and raised in Indonesia.

Yeah great job voters and non voters of Illinios

Apotheosis
06-28-2005, 01:17 PM
I said from day 1, when I first heard about Obama, that I like the guy. I think he's charismatic, and has potential to be one of the greatest, unifying political leaders in American history.

He has my support all the way.

Sean
06-28-2005, 01:20 PM
I read it as another way of saying .. the senator representing the state of illinois. But to each their own.

DeV
06-28-2005, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by theotherjohn

Originally posted by DeV
Here we are seeing a state senator from Illinois

Yeah great job voters and non voters of Illinios So are you trying to say you'd have been happier with Alan Keyes, and if not, what is your point?

Tijay, that is exactly the way I meant it to be read.

Satira
06-28-2005, 01:52 PM
At first it was hard for me to understand why this speech might be a problem for some people. I was overestimating this country's historical knowledge.

I'm glad he didn't mince words and put the spin on it that you would expect from a lot of politicians. It only made me like him more.

Alarke
06-28-2005, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Yswithe
I mean, I like the guy, honestly. Any democrat that can convince my conservative, affluent, white, Italian-American relatives in Chicago to vote for him gets my respect.
This is most likely because Allen Keyes (sp) probably scared even the most conservative of voters into becoming democrat for that election. No one in their right mind would have voted against Obama, in my opinion.

Tsa`ah
06-28-2005, 05:44 PM

Woopity fuckity doo!

He graduated from Columbia and has been active in IL since 85.

Our history is loaded with polititians that represent states that they weren't born in. Hell, Reagan was born and raised in IL, that didn't stop him from getting elected as the Gov of Cali now did it?

theotherjohn
06-28-2005, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Tsa`ah

Woopity fuckity doo!

He graduated from Columbia and has been active in IL since 85.

Our history is loaded with polititians that represent states that they weren't born in. Hell, Reagan was born and raised in IL, that didn't stop him from getting elected as the Gov of Cali now did it?

all your statement proves is that the voters and non voters of Cali are as stupid

Skirmisher
06-28-2005, 06:05 PM
TOJ strikes me as someone who would be happier with some four children having by three different mothers welfare living with his mama trailer park loser, as long as he was born and lived his whole sad sucking off the dole life in Illinois.

theotherjohn
06-28-2005, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Skirmisher
TOJ strikes me as someone who would be happier with some four children having by three different mothers welfare living with his mama trailer park loser, as long as he was born and lived his whole sad sucking off the dole life in Illinois.

and you strike me as a troller who looks for my posts to make a comment

I am not going to post for a hour check back after 7 for your next troll

Skirmisher
06-28-2005, 06:10 PM
You are entitled to think as you wish.

All I see is me responding to a post of yours with my own dealing with the topic you brought up.

Perhaps if you did not wish to talk about that, you should not have posted as such.

I have only responded to the contents of your posts.

Tsa`ah
06-28-2005, 06:25 PM
State of birth is rather irrelevant in politics. It is the state in which you reside and service.

I'm willing to bet that a majority of the politicians you have voted for, on the state and federal level, are transplant citizens of said state.

Thus your point is moot.

06-28-2005, 07:00 PM
As to the Jessie Jackson comment, its not about him being a Black politician in Illinois. I LOATH when people bring up race and slavery to get votes, and garner popularity. Run on your own merits, get elected on them, continue to serve on them, you do not need to remind everyone that you are black and "fight for civil rights" your record speaks for itself.

Ravenstorm
06-28-2005, 07:02 PM
I bet he's a fucking Alliance member too. Damn that Obama!!

Raven

Tsa`ah
06-28-2005, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Dave
As to the Jessie Jackson comment, its not about him being a Black politician in Illinois. I LOATH when people bring up race and slavery to get votes, and garner popularity. Run on your own merits, get elected on them, continue to serve on them, you do not need to remind everyone that you are black and "fight for civil rights" your record speaks for itself.

Obama's election campaign was bereft of a race platform. If you listen to him at all, or pay attention to his actions; the issue of race is brought up by those around him, he is nothing more than responsive.