PDA

View Full Version : Is it really that different?

Gelston
06-30-2018, 12:19 AM
So, you got a bunch of democrats hoping on the abolish ICE bandwagon now and Conservative talking heads are going crazy. I seem to recall the abolish IRS bandwagon that a lot of Republicans jumped on too. Is it really that different? No one is actually going to abolish either agency, it is just rhetoric.

People have the memory of goldfish these days.

Astray
06-30-2018, 12:20 AM
I was bamboozled into thinking this was a Tisket topic because of your avatar.

~Rocktar~

What were you talking about again?

LOL

It's not a lot different but the thing is that if the media grinds it enough then people may want to get on the train of causing a hassle.

Gelston
I was bamboozled into thinking this was a Tisket topic because of your avatar.

Tisket's avatar has a melon on its head.

Astray
06-30-2018, 12:21 AM
Tisket's avatar has a melon on its head.

Just noticed that.

rolfard
06-30-2018, 12:24 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gd1I3DmEd4

Parkbandit
06-30-2018, 10:30 AM
So, you got a bunch of democrats hoping on the abolish ICE bandwagon now and Conservative talking heads are going crazy. I seem to recall the abolish IRS bandwagon that a lot of Republicans jumped on too. Is it really that different? No one is actually going to abolish either agency, it is just rhetoric.

There is a slight difference.

When the Conservatives were speaking about "abolishing" the IRS, it was because of their flat tax plan, which would basically render the IRS useless due to the way we pay taxes.

If the Democrats would come out and propose open borders like they really desire, which would basically render ICE useless, then it would be the same thing.

Amerek
06-30-2018, 10:38 AM
It's very different, IMHO.

Abolishing the IRS is a GOOD thing (less taxes).
Abolishing ICE is a BAD thing (more crime).

Tgo01
06-30-2018, 10:43 AM

Maybe it's just my raging conservative boner interfering with my ability to remember things, but I don't remember many Republicans calling for abolishing the IRS, even during the IRS targeting scandal that totally didn't happen because Obama had no scandals.

Gelston
06-30-2018, 10:45 AM
Maybe it's just my raging conservative boner interfering with my ability to remember things, but I don't remember many Republicans calling for abolishing the IRS, even during the IRS targeting scandal that totally didn't happen because Obama had no scandals.

It was one of Ted Cruz's cornerstones when running for President.

Me calling the same is mostly because both calls for abolishment are pure rhetoric. The Democrats wouldn't abolish ICE anymore than the Republicans would abolish the IRS. They are both weaseling for votes.

Tgo01
06-30-2018, 10:47 AM
It was one of Ted Cruz's cornerstones when running for President.

Is this what Parkbandit is referring to though? I thought abolishing the IRS was a necessity due to completely overhauling the tax code where the IRS wouldn't be needed, not just saying hey the IRS is filled with fascists who love to tear apart families so we have to do away with the IRS to save the children.

Gelston
06-30-2018, 10:48 AM
Is this what Parkbandit is referring to though? I thought abolishing the IRS was a necessity due to completely overhauling the tax code where the IRS wouldn't be needed, not just saying hey the IRS is filled with fascists who love to tear apart families so we have to do away with the IRS to save the children.

IRS is also enforcement. They have guys with guns.

ICE also has enforcement. Their guys with guns are a little more known, but they also have a nerdy side that handles customs and immigration and aren't purely enforcement.

Tgo01
06-30-2018, 10:57 AM
IRS is also enforcement. They have guys with guns.

ICE also has enforcement. Their guys with guns are a little more known, but they also have a nerdy side that handles customs and immigration and aren't purely enforcement.

I guess my reasoning is more why each side called for the abolishment of the agencies.

Republicans wanted to make the tax code simpler so the IRS wouldn't be necessary.

Now if the Democrats were just saying "Hey we want open borders so ICE wouldn't be necessary" I could still point and laugh at them, but at least they wouldn't be demonizing the people who work for ICE as if they aren't just enforcing the laws congress pass.

Gelston
06-30-2018, 11:00 AM
I guess my reasoning is more why each side called for the abolishment of the agencies.

Republicans wanted to make the tax code simpler so the IRS wouldn't be necessary.

Now if the Democrats were just saying "Hey we want open borders so ICE wouldn't be necessary" I could still point and laugh at them, but at least they wouldn't be demonizing the people who work for ICE as if they aren't just enforcing the laws congress pass.

The IRS would be necessary though. Even with a simplest tax code, you still need people to enforce the paying of taxes.

As for ICE, they handle customs too. Even having open borders I doubt the Democrats want to get rid of customs.

Tgo01
06-30-2018, 11:03 AM
The IRS would be necessary though. Even with a simplest tax code, you still need people to enforce the paying of taxes.

We could just add enforcing taxes to ICE's list of duties.

As for ICE, they handle customs too. Even having open borders I doubt the Democrats want to get rid of customs.

I'm willing to bet most Democrats calling for getting rid of ICE have no idea what all of their duties entail or they really don't care about getting rid of customs enforcement too. They legit want completely open borders like the EU.

Gelston
06-30-2018, 11:11 AM
We could just add enforcing taxes to ICE's list of duties.

I'm willing to bet most Democrats calling for getting rid of ICE have no idea what all of their duties entail or they really don't care about getting rid of customs enforcement too. They legit want completely open borders like the EU.

And like I said, both calls for abolishment of both agencies are the same bullshit rhetoric. Neither side would do it. They are both just fishing for votes.

Parkbandit
06-30-2018, 02:27 PM
And like I said, both calls for abolishment of both agencies are the same bullshit rhetoric. Neither side would do it. They are both just fishing for votes.

Yea. I don't disagree. You couldn't get rid of the IRS even if we did get intelligent and use a fair tax system instead of the bullshit system with 100000000000000000000000000000000 million loopholes.. because, like you said, we would still have to enforce the collection of the taxes from the places selling the goods.