PDA

View Full Version : Crony Cabinet

Geijon Khyree
02-08-2017, 12:59 AM
My work asks a question similar to do you think our product/service/brand is the best and I can say "Yes, we're far and away the best in this, this and this." It's the truth, outside firms support this belief and it's superior.

How then can all of the cabinets of trump to lead Education, the EPA, the FCC, etc., etc. hate the groups they are leading? Almost every single one of them is against the ideals and intent of the group they are set to lead.

Who the hell on earth thinks that is productive and wise science when your leaders don't believe in the intent and message of the organization they are administrating from a leadership standpoint?

Discuss.

tyrant-201
02-08-2017, 01:21 AM
My work asks a question similar to do you think our product/service/brand is the best and I can say "Yes, we're far and away the best in this, this and this." It's the truth, outside firms support this belief and it's superior.

How then can all of the cabinets of trump to lead Education, the EPA, the FCC, etc., etc. hate the groups they are leading? Almost every single one of them is against the ideals and intent of the group they are set to lead.

Who the hell on earth thinks that is productive and wise science when your leaders don't believe in the intent and message of the organization they are administrating from a leadership standpoint?

Discuss.

This question could have been phrased much, much more appropriately.

I'm sorry you're about to be ripped to shreds.

Candor
02-08-2017, 01:43 AM
Some conservatives simply do not believe that the federal government should be involved in certain functions, education in particular.

The new Secretary of Education committed a grave sin to most liberals by holding the position that parents should have the option to send their children to private schools and receive a voucher to help pay for the expense (since they would not be using the public education system and they paid taxes for it). There are certainly valid issues on how such a system should be implemented. However if you believe that there is no liberal bias in public education that would motivate some parents to send their children elsewhere, I have some swampland in Florida I want to sell you.

I do have concerns over Trumps EPA pick. I am not informed regarding the issues with his FCC pick.

Ardwen
02-08-2017, 01:48 AM
She also holds or held the position that schools should be training children for the kingdom of god or some such silliness.

Warriorbird
02-08-2017, 01:52 AM
Some conservatives simply do not believe that the federal government should be involved in certain functions, education in particular.

The new Secretary of Education committed a grave sin to most liberals by holding the position that parents should have the option to send their children to private schools and receive a voucher to help pay for the expense (since they would not be using the public education system and they paid taxes for it). There are certainly valid issues on how such a system should be implemented. However if you believe that there is no liberal bias in public education that would motivate some parents to send their children elsewhere, I have some swampland in Florida I want to sell you.

I do have concerns over Trumps EPA pick. I am not informed regarding the issues with his FCC pick.

The implementation issues ARE the problem. The goal is to both reduce funding for public schools while simultaneously not offering enough for the poor to afford most private schools.

drauz
02-08-2017, 01:57 AM

Discuss.

Are you... serious? The idea that you are stuck with something no matter how bad it gets just because it's already there... I just... I don't know how to answer that....

drauz
02-08-2017, 01:59 AM
The implementation issues ARE the problem. The goal is to both reduce funding for public schools while simultaneously not offering enough for the poor to afford most private schools.

And yet on average 83% of the funding comes from state and local gov't.

Candor
02-08-2017, 02:03 AM

I don't believe for most parents those are the goals. I think some parents simply want other options besides the public education system.

Warriorbird
02-08-2017, 02:05 AM
I don't believe for most parents those are the goals. I think some parents simply want other options besides the public education system.

Of course not. That doesn't mean that those are our new Secretary of Education's goals... or the Republican Congress's goals.

A 17% cut to education is a bit bigger than a "oh, that's no big deal!" Even without that 17% you might be a bit boggled by the cost of a private school these days.

Charter schools naturally fill the gap. They make do with lower costs by cheating. They do tricks like rejecting/firing students, avoiding NCLB/Common Core tests, and avoiding special education programs.

It's great for shareholders... and the investments of our new Education Secretary.

Pin
02-08-2017, 02:09 AM

Most public schools can barely get by on the money they currently receive - cutting on average 17% of the funding they get doesn't help.

If privatization of education is the end game - it will be interesting to see what happens to the kids that the private schools do not want.

drauz
02-08-2017, 02:42 AM
Most public schools can barely get by on the money they currently receive - cutting on average 17% of the funding they get doesn't help.

If privatization of education is the end game - it will be interesting to see what happens to the kids that the private schools do not want.

Well its not 17% its actually closer to 8-9%, but I understand what you mean. You take close to 10% of the funding from any project and it will hit troubles. The problem is that education is basically tied to property values. If that never changes, then poorer kids will always be stuck with shitty schools. I also don't think giving the Federal gov't control of education is a good thing at all. I think state gov't is probably the best solution, but I haven't really don't much to look into it.

I know that a lot of schools funding took a huge hit when all those properties got devalued not to long ago.

Warriorbird
02-08-2017, 07:36 AM
Well its not 17% its actually closer to 8-9%, but I understand what you mean. You take close to 10% of the funding from any project and it will hit troubles. The problem is that education is basically tied to property values. If that never changes, then poorer kids will always be stuck with shitty schools. I also don't think giving the Federal gov't control of education is a good thing at all. I think state gov't is probably the best solution, but I haven't really don't much to look into it.

I know that a lot of schools funding took a huge hit when all those properties got devalued not to long ago.

You're right... though ironically 2009 was the largest funding year in quite a while due to stimulus money. The problem with moving away from property taxes as a notion is when you cap the property tax percentage (like California) you run into lagging funding. Simultaneously, though, Fairfax is far better funded than the school district I teach in.

Archigeek
02-08-2017, 10:35 AM
In Minnesota we had Jesse Ventura as governor not that many years ago. In some ways he was similar to Trump (though Jesse ran as an independant while Trump ran as a Republican): incendiary, pushed the establishment in both parties, and was an outsider, (more than Trump), etc. For a while, he was an effective governor, until his schtick stopped working.

One of the advantages of being an outsider is that you don't have to fill your cabinet with party people. One of the advantages of being independantly wealthy is you don't have to fill it with political appointees. In short, you're free to fill it with the best experts available on the subjects at hand. Ventura did this, and it was without doubt the smartest thing he did while governor. You could only argue that Trump did this in a couple of cases. Maybe he'll see the light in a year or two when it's time to clean house. When you're not a politician, you're best off surrounding yourself with subject matter experts, but I suppose with an ego like his, maybe it's hard to admit that he needs the expertise of others.

Archigeek
02-08-2017, 10:37 AM
You're right... though ironically 2009 was the largest funding year in quite a while due to stimulus money. The problem with moving away from property taxes as a notion is when you cap the property tax percentage (like California) you run into lagging funding. Simultaneously, though, Fairfax is far better funded than the school district I teach in.

Some states temper this by funding education with a better mix of local and state-wide funding.

Kembal
02-08-2017, 10:45 AM

Which works in urban and suburban areas, but doesn't work in rural areas. In a town of 800 people, there's only going to be one school. School choice is going to do absolutely squat.

Tenlaar
02-08-2017, 02:06 PM
Which works in urban and suburban areas, but doesn't work in rural areas. In a town of 800 people, there's only going to be one school. School choice is going to do absolutely squat.

A town doesn't need to be remotely that small. The town that I'm living in now has a population of around 9,000 and we have one elementary school, one middle school, and one high school.

To find a private school you have to go to the nearest "bigger town", half an hour away. But remember this is a rural area, which means no public transportation like that, so that only works if a parent can spend two hours a day getting the child to and from the school. And this school costs a mere $500 per month per student...in an area where the estimated per capita income is $20,000, median household income is $35,000.

I think some parents simply want other options besides the public education system.

I'm sure that many people here would love other options besides our failing public schools. Saying "send your kid to a private school" simply isn't one of them.

Parkbandit
02-08-2017, 02:21 PM

Discuss.

Holy.

Shit.

It's like you want us to make fun of you.

And now I feel like I'm picking on an actual retard.. no one wants to be that guy.

MesaPaen
02-08-2017, 03:44 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/30/nyregion/at-a-success-academy-charter-school-singling-out-pupils-who-have-got-to-go.html?action=click&contentCollection=N.Y.%20%2F%20Region&module=RelatedCoverage&region=EndOfArticle&pgtype=article

I (obviously) read this years ago, and it stuck in the back of my head since. Of COURSE the "success" of a charter school is going to be on (dubious) record as higher if children with learning and/or behavioral have "Go to Go", and the standards of success are not equal. Public schools must educate every child, by the way. There is no "Got to Go". Betsy DeVos even admitted during her shitshow of a confirmation hearing that the standards of success were not the same for public versus private/charter/popup, etc.

Tgo01
02-08-2017, 03:54 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/30/nyregion/at-a-success-academy-charter-school-singling-out-pupils-who-have-got-to-go.html?action=click&contentCollection=N.Y.%20%2F%20Region&module=RelatedCoverageŽion=EndOfArticle&pgtype=article

I (obviously) read this years ago, and it stuck in the back of my head since. Of COURSE the "success" of a charter school is going to be on (dubious) record as higher if children with learning and/or behavioral have "Go to Go", and the standards of success are not equal. Public schools must educate every child, by the way. There is no "Got to Go". Betsy DeVos even admitted during her shitshow of a confirmation hearing that the standards of success were not the same for public versus private/charter/popup, etc.

Technically the school system has to provide an education but not every public school is forced to teach anyone.

Where I grew up there were special schools for people with severe learning disabilities and other schools for people with severe behavioral problems. The main schools certainly did try their best to keep these two elements out of their schools.

So I agree, is we are comparing all public schools to all charter schools, and charter schools more routinely get rid of students who don't perform well, then they are in a better position to boast better numbers. However if we are comparing charter schools to schools that also get rid of their problem students then that's a different story.

MesaPaen
02-08-2017, 04:07 PM
In NY, public schools must provide educational placement or the provision of a free appropriate public education to a child with a disability. Only the most severe cases are placed provisionally.

My point is, in a public school, there is a much wider pool of children who simply cannot be 'removed' due to the desire of the district to improve the end result.

My second point was, charter/private schools can determine and implement their own data for standards of success. Therefore the argument that they are more successful simply isn't true, or relevant.

I'm NOT saying all charter schools are bad. Nor am I saying all public schools are good. However, in reality, they can, and often DO, have two completely separate methods of determining success for students.

Warriorbird
02-08-2017, 04:39 PM
https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4655326/tim-kaine-vouchers

Wrathbringer
02-08-2017, 04:41 PM
https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4655326/tim-kaine-vouchers

what a retard.