PDA

View Full Version : Repeal the Tampon Tax?

ClydeR
02-16-2016, 10:12 AM
Though necessities like food and medical supplies are exempt from sales taxes in most states, all but a few tax sanitary pads and tampons. Now efforts are building to repeal this so-called “tampon tax” and help ensure that those who need these products can afford them.

The issue gained national attention after two members of the California State Assembly, Cristina Garcia and Ling Ling Chang, introduced a bill in January to make tampons and pads exempt from sales taxes in their state. Prescription drugs, most groceries and medical equipment like walkers are already exempt.

More... (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/08/opinion/end-the-tampon-tax.html)

I'm all for reducing taxes, as long as the reductions are across the board. There shouldn't be special rules for people based on their gender. If the application of a general sales tax to a particular item falls more heavily on one gender than on another, should be tax be repealed?

President Obama expressed his support for such efforts in an interview in January with Ingrid Nilsen, a YouTube star. Women should “work to get those taxes removed,” he said.

Even without sales taxes, tampons and pads are unaffordable for some. In New York, a City Council member, Julissa Ferreras-Copeland, is working on legislation to require that all public schools in the city provide free tampons and pads in restrooms.

That's a terrible idea.

Gelston
02-16-2016, 10:14 AM
YouTube Star is a term? I'm sad. :(

Methais
02-16-2016, 11:30 AM
YouTube Star is a term? I'm sad. :(

Someone probably told the author that Internet star was already taken and he believed them.

Jarvan
02-16-2016, 11:41 AM
This is just idiotic. Just more gender warfare.

Tgo01
02-16-2016, 02:48 PM
Hey if Ling Ling Chang is for it then you better be too!