Page 23 of 48 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: What good books have you read lately?

Currently listening to Academ's Fury, by Jim Butcher. Started in on the Codex Alera books after the next Dresden book got pushed back. I'm enjoying it far more than I thought I would.
    Last edited by JustDan; 12-06-2013 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Eye kin spel
    -Just Dan

2. Default

I really enjoyed the Codex Alera books. It was a good read and ended on a satisfying note.

I Am Spartacus!: Making a Film, Breaking the Blacklist by Kirk Douglas
    PB: One day you'll need this number (800) 273-TALK.

Quote Originally Posted by Allereli View Post
    I Am Spartacus!: Making a Film, Breaking the Blacklist by Kirk Douglas
    Hell of a read.

Recently finished the Riftwar Saga books by Raymond Feist which was nice after such a long time and so many books (a la WoT). Good if rather standard fantasy fare, the first book of the series, Magician, got me into more reading (and later MUDs) as a kid.

6. Default

Homeland by R A Salvatore

I now understand why there were so many Drizzzdttsss running the Landing when I started playing.

Artemis Entreri was so much better than Drisszt. But that entire series of books is nothing short of awesome.
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." - Thomas Paine.

Lightning has killed more Americans in the last forty years than terrorism.

8. Default

Recently re-read Asimov's Foundation trilogy, was amazed that after 35 years, I remembered so much of it.

Read the first four Dresden Files books by Butcher. Too formulaic, too Marlowe. I also don't really like standard vampire/werewolf/fairie/demon/angels/devils/mages all wrapped up in a single universe books.

Midway through "Mr. Norris and Jonathan Strange," by Susanna Clark. It's kind of a 19th century prose style book with magic in Jane Austen's world. It's a very long, rather slow paced book, but still rather satisfying. Just don't expect a fast paced page turner.

The Frontiers Saga by Ryk Brown if you like sci fi stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    Tolerance does not mean tolerating intolerance.
    tol∑er∑ance
    ˈtšl(ə)rəns/
    noun
    noun: tolerance
    the ability or willingness to tolerate something, in particular the existence of opinions or behavior that one does not necessarily agree with.

Been reading a ton lately (night shifts with nothing to do but stay awake for hours at a time help).

The Alex Verus books by Benedict Jacka are awesome. Very, very close to the Dresden books, but fresh and different enough to be thoroughly enjoyable.

The Feyre Court books by Mike Shevdon have been great so far. I'm halfway through the second one, and described it to my wife as a combination of The Matrix, Angels & Demons, and True Blood.

And I don't know HOW the Joe Pitt novels escaped my notice up until now. Charlie Huston writes them, and they're everything that I thought Sandman Slim could have been. I love the Jack Reacher books, and this is right up that alley, with a supernatural twist (though the protagonist is far less of a Superman type).
    -Just Dan