Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: On the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Default On the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

The FDA tonight authorized the first COVID-19 vaccine for use in America. Our current supply will be enough to immunize 3 million Americans, and if we start literally right now as I'm writing this they will be 95% immune to COVID-19 on January 8th 2021 (three weeks from first dose to second, exposure no less than one week later). This is good news!

The bad news - there are 18 million healthcare workers and 2 million nursing home residents in the United States, and obviously way more front line essential workers (with the exact figure depending on how you'd like to define it, no not you Mike Pence). We won't be even a sixth of the way through those populations with that current supply, we're only expecting to get more "by March" of the 47 million immunizations we agreed to, and the remaining production is already spoken for around the rest of the world through June. Put short, we are going to need another vaccine to get back to normalcy in less than a year. This in and of itself isn't terrible since Moderna is also looking very promising, but GSK and Sanofi just announced they're out of it until "late 2021", and crucially they announced that because they saw a too dramatically reduced impact on older (i.e. 50+) study participants, which Pfizer also saw but not to the point of the vaccine being useless for that population. This is pretty important when it's the elderly we're especially (but not exclusively!) looking to protect!

But the ugly news is that it doesn't matter how effective or approved a vaccine is if not enough people take it - masks social distancing and rudimentary government intervention alone are incontrovertibly proven to drive the spread to zero, and we didn't do that, and the very same partisans who disputed and disregarded those common sense measures are disproportionately dragging their feet when it comes to getting vaccinated, and most alarmingly they have done so since May of 2020 - how much more reticent will they become when our crepey [sic] uncle sleeps in the West Wing?

Which brings us to the really ugly news. We've all seen deaths in the US explode past 3,000 souls lost in a day, we've all seen the 9/11 comp tropes, but it's not Manhattan burning this time, it's not the white collar bankers and financiers. This is where the ten hardest hit states stand today, as New Jersey becomes the first to reach the awful milestone of 2 dead per 1000 from coronavirus:

Code:
    d/1m	state
    2005	New Jersey
    1821	New York
    1633	Massachusetts
    1504	Connecticut
    1483	North Dakota
    1456	Louisiana
    1424	Rhode Island
    1386	Mississippi
    1368	South Dakota
    1189	Illinois
    This is where at their present rates they'll stand in a month:

Code:
    d/1m	state
    2546	North Dakota
    2487	South Dakota
    2204	New Jersey
    2060	Kansas
    1967	New York
    1842	Massachusetts
    1807	Connecticut
    1799	Mississippi
    1745	Iowa
    1736	Rhode Island
    Kansas and Iowa take Illinois' place of shame among the Midwest, North and South Dakota among whatever region it is they're in. No skyscrapers there. No world trade. Just honest Americans making an honest American living and an honest American dying.

It bears belaboring that NO ONE in the United States will be vaccinated by Christmas. It takes too long to administer the two doses at all, let alone for them to take effect.

Help, as it has for the past 38 days, is coming, but it will not and can not be here in time to even blunt these figures, let alone reduce them to 0.
    Even what we do now can't.
    For a month to come, it's already too late.

But we can put our shoulders to this mighty beached ship as with the turn of the calendar the tide finally begins to roll out.

And we can push.
    Hasta pronto, porque la vida no termina aqui...
    America, stop pushing. I know what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Latrinsorm View Post
    The FDA tonight authorized the first COVID-19 vaccine for use in America. Our current supply will be enough to immunize 3 million Americans, and if we start literally right now as I'm writing this they will be 95% immune to COVID-19 on January 8th 2021 (three weeks from first dose to second, exposure no less than one week later). This is good news!

The bad news - there are 18 million healthcare workers and 2 million nursing home residents in the United States, and obviously way more front line essential workers (with the exact figure depending on how you'd like to define it, no not you Mike Pence). We won't be even a sixth of the way through those populations with that current supply, we're only expecting to get more "by March" of the 47 million immunizations we agreed to, and the remaining production is already spoken for around the rest of the world through June. Put short, we are going to need another vaccine to get back to normalcy in less than a year. This in and of itself isn't terrible since Moderna is also looking very promising, but GSK and Sanofi just announced they're out of it until "late 2021", and crucially they announced that because they saw a too dramatically reduced impact on older (i.e. 50+) study participants, which Pfizer also saw but not to the point of the vaccine being useless for that population. This is pretty important when it's the elderly we're especially (but not exclusively!) looking to protect!

But the ugly news is that it doesn't matter how effective or approved a vaccine is if not enough people take it - masks social distancing and rudimentary government intervention alone are incontrovertibly proven to drive the spread to zero, and we didn't do that, and the very same partisans who disputed and disregarded those common sense measures are disproportionately dragging their feet when it comes to getting vaccinated, and most alarmingly they have done so since May of 2020 - how much more reticent will they become when our crepey [sic] uncle sleeps in the West Wing?

Which brings us to the really ugly news. We've all seen deaths in the US explode past 3,000 souls lost in a day, we've all seen the 9/11 comp tropes, but it's not Manhattan burning this time, it's not the white collar bankers and financiers. This is where the ten hardest hit states stand today, as New Jersey becomes the first to reach the awful milestone of 2 dead per 1000 from coronavirus:

Code:
    d/1m	state
    2005	New Jersey
    1821	New York
    1633	Massachusetts
    1504	Connecticut
    1483	North Dakota
    1456	Louisiana
    1424	Rhode Island
    1386	Mississippi
    1368	South Dakota
    1189	Illinois
    This is where at their present rates they'll stand in a month:

Code:
    d/1m	state
    2546	North Dakota
    2487	South Dakota
    2204	New Jersey
    2060	Kansas
    1967	New York
    1842	Massachusetts
    1807	Connecticut
    1799	Mississippi
    1745	Iowa
    1736	Rhode Island
    Kansas and Iowa take Illinois' place of shame among the Midwest, North and South Dakota among whatever region it is they're in. No skyscrapers there. No world trade. Just honest Americans making an honest American living and an honest American dying.

It bears belaboring that NO ONE in the United States will be vaccinated by Christmas. It takes too long to administer the two doses at all, let alone for them to take effect.

Help, as it has for the past 38 days, is coming, but it will not and can not be here in time to even blunt these figures, let alone reduce them to 0.
    Even what we do now can't.
    For a month to come, it's already too late.

But we can put our shoulders to this mighty beached ship as with the turn of the calendar the tide finally begins to roll out.

And we can push.
    Fortunately, this isn't a serious virus. These few deaths are acceptable losses compared to the draconian measures ruining the livelihoods of the 99.8% that survive this virus. The flu kills 0.02% annually. Covid killed 0.06% this year. But hey, don't let this keep you from enjoying your basement wearing seventeen metrosexual masks and three that are blatantly gay.
    Last edited by Wrathbringer; 12-12-2020 at 05:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathbringer View Post
    Fortunately, this isn't a serious virus. These few deaths are acceptable losses compared to the draconian measures ruining the livelihoods of the 99.8% that survive this virus. The flu kills 0.02% annually. Covid killed 0.06% this year. But hey, don't let this keep you from enjoying your basement wearing seventeen metrosexual masks and three that are blatantly gay.
    It killed 300,000 people. Do you know what that looks like? That’s 100 9/11’s literally. 100 9/11’s, just think about that dude.

It’s the fucking hypocrisy that drives me mad with “Conservatives”. Don’t get me wrong I’m fiscally conservative and was raised a orthodox Catholic but it’s like, abortion is murder! 300,000 deaths is acceptable! Pick one!

lol macgyver
    Discord: Methais#5420
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

I don't need to wear masks in my basement partially because it doesn't exist but mostly because there would be no one else in it that I would be at risk of infecting: my mask protects the people around me, not me.

Since you bring it up, I already wore masks while sick with the flu when I was likely to be around others, and for the same reason - I don't want to kill people.
    Hasta pronto, porque la vida no termina aqui...
    America, stop pushing. I know what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Veggies View Post
    It killed 300,000 people. Do you know what that looks like? That’s 100 9/11’s literally. 100 9/11’s, just think about that dude.

It’s the fucking hypocrisy that drives me mad with “Conservatives”. Don’t get me wrong I’m fiscally conservative and was raised a orthodox Catholic but it’s like, abortion is murder! 300,000 deaths is acceptable! Pick one!
    And 20-30 9/11's happened annually with the flu and no one gave a shit. Comparing to something else doesn't change the numbers. it's still 0.06%, the majority of which are aged 80+ and in nursing homes for other shit that will kill them if covid doesn't.

I don't need to wear masks in my basement partially because it doesn't exist but mostly because there would be no one else in it that I would be at risk of infecting: my mask protects the people around me, not me.

Since you bring it up, I already wore masks while sick with the flu when I was likely to be around others, and for the same reason - I don't want to kill people.
    This is America. Feel free to virtue signal all you want by employing whatever ineffective measures you like. Meanwhile, I'll feel free to live my life as per normal, since I recognize that there is zero culpability concerning who may or may not have infected someone in dire health that may end up dying from something tangentially related to covid. If the at-risk aren't taking proper and effective precautions, that's on them. Not me. Or you. Relying on others to protect your own health is a fool's errand.

Edit: Now that you've already been owned by me twice in your own thread, please let other ignorant, terrified libtards have a shot. Virtue signal your willingness to let others like you whine incessantly by not wasting any more of your time with tired bleeding heart replies that don't address any of the points being made. Thanks.
    Last edited by Wrathbringer; 12-12-2020 at 11:10 AM.

Why do you wear a condom when you masturbate though?
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.

This is America. Feel free to virtue signal all you want by employing whatever ineffective measures you like. Meanwhile, I'll feel free to live my life as per normal, since I recognize that there is zero culpability concerning who may or may not have infected someone in dire health that may end up dying from something tangentially related to covid. If the at-risk aren't taking proper and effective precautions, that's on them. Not me. Or you. Relying on others to protect your own health is a fool's errand.

Edit: Now that you've already been owned by me twice in your own thread, please let other ignorant, terrified libtards have a shot. Virtue signal your willingness to let others like you whine incessantly by not wasting any more of your time with tired bleeding heart replies that don't address any of the points being made. Thanks.
    This is correct.

There are some flaws in your logic.
    If you simply wore a mask and skipped disposable gloves, you'd really only sort of protect others. Secondly, if you had influenza, you shouldn't have left your house. You should be self quarantining right? I assume you would do that if you tested positive with Covid-19.

I am also going to assume you drive a car. And while you don't want them to occur, accidents do happen and people can die. Do you still drive? Or is an accident somehow acceptable. I ask this because I assume that most people who infect others are not doing so purpose.