Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Stock Market

  1. #1

    Default Stock Market

    Stock Market

    Trump leaves office with U.S. major benchmarks near all-time highs. But how did his performance stack up with his predecessors?

    Not too bad, according to major indexes. Based on annualized returns for the S&P 500 SPX, -0.26%, the U.S. benchmark, Trump (+13.7%) saw the third-best performance of the 15 presidents who have served since 1929, according to Dow Jones Market Data. Trump, however, slightly trailed his immediate predecessor, Barack Obama (+13.8%). Bill Clinton (+15.2%) claims the top spot.

    More...

    Anybody want to make any predictions about the stock market during Biden's term? It doesn't seem like there is a lot of room for a sustained increase in values. Over the last 365 days, the market has returned more than 70%. The S&P 500 P/E ratio is above 40 using historical earnings or a bit above 20 using estimated future earnings, and its dividend yield is below 1.5%. The "Buffett Indicator" is at or near its all-time high. Despite those warning signs, overcoming the coronavirus, assuming we do, may create a euphoria that will fuel many excesses, including stock valuations and a baby boom.
    Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow.

  2. #2

    Default

    ClydeR is a Russian agent.

    What do you think the R stands for? Other than Retard of course.
    Discord: Methais#5420
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible



  3. #3

    Default

    Right after I posted, the market reacted by going way down. Sorry.

  4. #4

    Default

    damn clyde thanks a lot

  5. #5

    Default

    I'm pretty sure whether the stock market is going up or down really only matters to the rich who own most stocks, regardless of who's president. The majority of Americans don't own stocks and therefore don't care whether the stock market is going up or down.
    I'm one of those few weirdos who doesn't use Lich.

    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." - Dom Helder Camara

  6. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyulen View Post
    I'm pretty sure whether the stock market is going up or down really only matters to the rich who own most stocks, regardless of who's president. The majority of Americans don't own stocks and therefore don't care whether the stock market is going up or down.
    I don't know how you define "rich", but your statement isn't correct.

    Admittedly only around 1 out of 7 Americans own individual stocks. However slightly over half of Americans have 401Ks (or something similar such as the government Thrift Savings Plan), so that means they most likely own stocks (in one or more funds) and they should care whether the stock market is going up or down. It is not just a "rich person" concern.
    Last edited by Candor; 03-24-2021 at 06:20 AM.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyulen View Post
    I'm pretty sure whether the stock market is going up or down really only matters to the rich who own most stocks, regardless of who's president. The majority of Americans don't own stocks and therefore don't care whether the stock market is going up or down.
    You're wrong. Most people own stocks in their 401K or other retirement accounts.

    If you don't, then you've made some pretty poor life choices.
    RETARD HALL OF FAME

    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    There will be no war when guns are more regulated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashliana View Post
    "I originally created an additional account back in the day to mess with the reputation system" Rep system came in 3 months later...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsa`ah View Post
    Well tell that to the Naval hospital that issued a birth certificate labeled Ft Lejeune ... and then typed it in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    31,140
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyulen View Post
    I'm pretty sure whether the stock market is going up or down really only matters to the rich who own most stocks, regardless of who's president. The majority of Americans don't own stocks and therefore don't care whether the stock market is going up or down.
    The majority of Americans have a 401k, whether they know or fuck with it is their own prerogative. The stock market affects every single American, because while trickle-down economics may be suspect, shit always rolls down hill.

    Furthermore, many individual poll sites conclude over 55% of households invest in the stock market. Down from 66% in 2007. That is still the majority of Americans.

    Basically, you're just making shit up and posting it as fact.
    Last edited by Gelston; 03-24-2021 at 09:07 AM.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

  9. #9

    Default

    I just wish the stock market wasn't manipulated the way it is by the brokers (ie. Gamestop and the situation that followed as an example). All that died down and got put to rest really quickly, but showed a lot of people how it actually is working.

    Ran properly, great for the majority - way it's designed now, great for the minority. That is just my opinion/viewpoint on it.

    I do think a crash is coming though, and it's going to be bad. Again - just my opinion/viewpoint on it.

    I know there are some savvy $ guys on here that know more than me that might disagree and educate me why I'm wrong, but is what feels like coming.
    Last edited by Shaps; 03-24-2021 at 11:23 AM.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyulen View Post
    I'm pretty sure whether the stock market is going up or down really only matters to the rich who own most stocks, regardless of who's president. The majority of Americans don't own stocks and therefore don't care whether the stock market is going up or down.
    The majority of Americans have some sort of 401k as their retirement program, which includes stocks. As the stock market goes down, their retirement plan goes down. People care about that.

    If you can't see that, you are VERY ignorant.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •