Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I’m beginning to suspect mental illness...

Arrow I’m beginning to suspect mental illness...

Not anyone here per se, I think most of the PC is sane. But I don’t think the general Gemstone populace has their head on straight. Why?

This is my first major Fest and just the zaniness of people putting good RL money over bad is bizzare. An in-game friend of mine gave me a 10 sea diving entry to do DSD so I can see what the hubbub was all about. Suddenly he runs out of passes , a used 50 entry pass. This is where it got frightening. Kinda paraphrasing here: mind you I RP’d with this guy for almost a year, nearly everday.

Give me your pass? Excuse me? Give me your fucking>this language was used< pass. Oh no you ran out! here, I got a ton of SCs I haven’t touched let me gift you a 25 pass as a thank you gift this 10- pass only has 3 more on it anyway. No, just giving me that pass I gave you, I fucking gave it to you just now. Muted horror as this was something I never saw in him as he’s the type to talk all like ,”Hoow guz et, Lazz?” even in OOC whisper.

So, I give him the pass and he does the three runs in hyper speed while I wait outside at the ladder. He pauses probably when he ran out of passes to get more on the store then just quietly does more runs. Feeling awkward and kinda scared I log out. After dinner and watching Netflix for about an hour and I log back in. I catch him coming up, and he’s still at it. Lnet DM and nothing. I kinda felt sad for him after that.

Anyway, one of the more odd experiences at this Fest.
    Last edited by Fierna; 10-19-2019 at 04:50 PM.

Blog Entries

The people who aren't super invested/addicted to the pay stuff or game itself have mostly moved on.
    Last edited by Taernath; 10-19-2019 at 04:54 PM.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

cool story bro
    I accepted free spells during an "automated third party promotion" from "the responsible party," but I only did it once, and I didn't hunt until after they wore off

I've spoken with several people on discord. I think all of them have a mental illness diagnosis or have problems and are un-diagnosed. I think the common problems are: autism, adhd-i, ocd, bi-polar, and border-line personality disorder. Two people I know - i suspect - have narcissism. I'd bet social anxity is common but I dont know much about that.

Further evidence is the behavior on the PC ie emotional instability.
    Last edited by Xred; 10-19-2019 at 05:07 PM.
    Join the Gemstone Players Union. Promoting a sustainable gemstone and players rights.

I feel sad that you think a stranger on the internet being mean to you one time indicates mental illness in a large swathe of people. Says more about you than the asshole tbh.
    [LNet]-GSIV:Nitefallz: "wait whats a poop sock"

[Merchant]-GSIV:Skoll: "Some say the customer is always right, some say the customer is a bitch ass loser and needs to shut up"

[Private]-GSIV:Warclaidh: "what is booty percs"

I think depression is another big one. And plain old addiction. And people in bad marriages.

I've been saying this since I returned to find this whole Pay 2 Win mess: The current Simu is preying on the worst parts of the human psyche, putting greed over human decency.

Is their product REALLY worth thousands of dollars? Is this really the way the original game designers intended the game to become?

Sadly, as long as you have people willing to pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars on the digging/diving and whatever other slot machines, I don't see Simu stopping the greedy practices.

The other issue, is the players that spend their money, are some of the most influential and loud voiced people in the game. In fact, one reason I like PC is because those people have no influence here. Funny enough, they'll usually discourage people from using PC because of the "trolls." The reality is that their BS doesn't fly here.

But yeah, I constantly find myself scratching my head at people's decisions, and try to discourage the hell out of people wasting money on stupid crap they don't even need. The saying I find myself using on almost a bloody daily basis is: "How dead does it need to be when you kill it?"

Or I'll have someone try to show off some 100 million silver item to me, and I'll accomplish the same damn thing from a simple scroll or cheap enhancive or some nonsense. People waste some serious money on some really insignificant crap. (And don't give me the whole "silvers are worthless" BS, because it's a load of bull crap.).

And if you are spending thousands of dollars just to increase the size of your GS epeen, then yeah, that is all kinds of mental illness or RL issues of some sort. You are literally spending loads money on a line of text!

I get that GS is a valuable service that deserves to have money paid to enjoy. But we're talking like $15 a month in the case of most MMO's. The fact that a TEXT BASED GAME charges such high amounts of money, is beyond crazy to me.

I mean, I'm not going to judge people that have a premie sub or anything like that. Even I am willing to spend money on alt accounts since it brings me enough joy to be worth the extra expense (and is well within MMO norms.). But when we start talking hundreds or even thousands of dollars...that's just sick.

BTW, I welcome any obscenely geared person in game, to fight me in PvP with all your stupid worthless billions of silvers worth of crap, and I will happily wreck you!! Admittedly, I do find a measure of joy in that...

~Midgar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius1 View Post
    I think depression is another big one. And plain old addiction. And people in bad marriages.

I've been saying this since I returned to find this whole Pay 2 Win mess: The current Simu is preying on the worst parts of the human psyche, putting greed over human decency.

Is their product REALLY worth thousands of dollars? Is this really the way the original game designers intended the game to become?

Sadly, as long as you have people willing to pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars on the digging/diving and whatever other slot machines, I don't see Simu stopping the greedy practices.

The other issue, is the players that spend their money, are some of the most influential and loud voiced people in the game. In fact, one reason I like PC is because those people have no influence here. Funny enough, they'll usually discourage people from using PC because of the "trolls." The reality is that their BS doesn't fly here.

But yeah, I constantly find myself scratching my head at people's decisions, and try to discourage the hell out of people wasting money on stupid crap they don't even need. The saying I find myself using on almost a bloody daily basis is: "How dead does it need to be when you kill it?"

Or I'll have someone try to show off some 100 million silver item to me, and I'll accomplish the same damn thing from a simple scroll or cheap enhancive or some nonsense. People waste some serious money on some really insignificant crap. (And don't give me the whole "silvers are worthless" BS, because it's a load of bull crap.).

And if you are spending thousands of dollars just to increase the size of your GS epeen, then yeah, that is all kinds of mental illness or RL issues of some sort. You are literally spending loads money on a line of text!

I get that GS is a valuable service that deserves to have money paid to enjoy. But we're talking like $15 a month in the case of most MMO's. The fact that a TEXT BASED GAME charges such high amounts of money, is beyond crazy to me.

I mean, I'm not going to judge people that have a premie sub or anything like that. Even I am willing to spend money on alt accounts since it brings me enough joy to be worth the extra expense (and is well within MMO norms.). But when we start talking hundreds or even thousands of dollars...that's just sick.

BTW, I welcome any obscenely geared person in game, to fight me in PvP with all your stupid worthless billions of silvers worth of crap, and I will happily wreck you!! Admittedly, I do find a measure of joy in that...

~Midgar
    wall of poor crits for 9000

LOL - this game has always been a haven for the mentally ill, disabled and the overweight. It was this way before P2W even became a thing.

There a few people in GS (even here on PC) who are legitimately fucked in the head, and you can generally tell them apart by the overall level of vitriol, but by and large they're a tiny minority. Most of the whales who do tons of runs at the events and get caught up in item chasing are just normal people with a little OCD who can afford to do so, as this level of spending is trivial for them, not that it makes it less ridiculous for a game such as this. Another big segment are programmers who just enjoy seeing the gears spinning and the commerce aspect of it all. These two groups account for a large chunk of overall spending, but this is not to downplay the fact that this is by no means normal. When you play other games and can compare and contrast the levels of spending across various titles... that's when it really strikes you what an outlier GS really is. It's certainly not normal, however you look at it. I hit about 40k in spending myself, in just under 2 years of playing, before realizing this might not be a healthy hobby, and I know plenty of people who have spent far more. I think the biggest issue is the normalization of the absurd levels of spending, it's like the population of players has been gradually conditioned to think that it's OK for simu to sell custom text-based pets for $2000, etc. so nowadays nobody even bats an eye. People looking in from the outside would probably think all of GS is mentally ill.

The real irony here is, if we didn’t spend as much on these P2W events the game would have been better. Perhaps much better. GMs , who are actually paid based on how well their items sell or whatever new-fangled must-have item they come up with, won’t be “Fest chasing” or trying to create a new hamster wheel in order to monetize the game better and thus get a better paycheck at the end of the month.

Wyrom would redirect his resources from Pay Fests to something more concrete like post-cap development or the now meme-worthy Savants. Heck even if they put Savants behind a $200 paywall I would take that over another wheel of fortune event. It’s just bizarre, people nowadays get more hyped about a live merchant raffle than actually playing he game. Is it just me? lol