Page 486 of 1005 FirstFirst ... 386436476484485486487488496536586986 ... LastLast
Results 4,851 to 4,860 of 10049

Thread: Things that made you laugh today (Political Version)

  1. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    It absolutely already is happening, it's just that what's going on isn't on a large enough scale that it directly destabilizes our democracy. A cashier stealing someone's info is just one person, and it's more likely than not being done for financial gain not election tampering. Equifax exposed ~150 million users' personal data last year. Imagine if instead of personal data it was voting records, or even the ability to vote. That election cycle would be an absolute shitstorm.
    https://danielmiessler.com/blog/chin...se-on-america/

  2. #4852
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    In your valley, beneath your sky
    Posts
    13,156
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    If you had an organized entity, say a foreign Government, completely focused on fucking shit up, they definitely would during an online election.
    Yeah every online election we hold would be a signal flare to foreign governments, cybercriminals (god I hate typing that word), and disaffected teens to come out of the woodwork and do everything they could to fuck shit up. The only saving grace of our current system is that it's mostly decentralized so one person can only do so much. It's the same way with certain parts of our military.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

  3. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    It absolutely already is happening, it's just that what's going on isn't on a large enough scale that it directly destabilizes our democracy. A cashier stealing someone's info is just one person, and it's more likely than not being done for financial gain not election tampering. Equifax exposed ~150 million users' personal data last year. Imagine if instead of personal data it was voting records, or even the ability to vote. That election cycle would be an absolute shitstorm.
    That's a good argument against it. Companies do lose information to leaks all the time, and that's problematic. Making people's votes public would be devastating. But you'd think something like that also would've happened with the IRS database with all the e-filing or a big bank with everyone's financial records, liquidity, investments, etc, by now too, so maybe it's just a matter of the right security. That's information that nefarious parties absolutely would have an interest in, so why hasn't it happened?

    I don't buy the widespread attack and fraud theory, from either foreign or domestic sources. That stuff could be put together in the current system if such an entity were so inclined. Preventing that isn't much harder than the two step authentication most sites are starting to require now. Cast your vote, great. Don't have your specific cell phone on you to confirm that the vote was cast by you? No dice. Go find a physical polling station.

    At any rate, I think it's coming eventually, one way or the other. It might take all the pre-computer people dying off before it starts being looked at as a reality, but we already have our country's entire economy virtual at this point. If the banks aren't getting hacked and the stock market isn't crashing by the efforts of nefarious Ruskies or terrorists bent on America's destruction, I doubt anyone has the ability to do it. Edit to add: And don't even get me started on the disaffected teens you just mentioned. Why aren't they hacking the banks to put money in their accounts so they can buy more ..whatever...skinny jeans and goth eyeliner? The answer is because the security is too tight and the penalties are too strict. I would imagine trying to rig an election comes with...well even greater consequences than financial crimes. Treason or what have you.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 01-04-2019 at 12:40 PM.

  4. #4854
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    7,128
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    You bet your ass. One person, one vote.

    The electoral college and Senate reps were set up during this nation's infancy. Those rules do not apply any more. There are 12 million more registered democrats than republicans in this democracy. The minority party has had the executive even after losing the total popular vote. The minority party, supposedly of less government, has also had both parts of Congress at the same time. If people are afraid of New York and California running things it's because their platform sucks, not because one person, one vote is flawed.
    I'm torn between believing it likely hurts to be this stupid versus ignorance being bliss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    Methais isn't even on my level bitch.

  5. #4855
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    In your valley, beneath your sky
    Posts
    13,156
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stumplicker View Post
    That's a good argument against it. Companies do lose information to leaks all the time, and that's problematic. Making people's votes public would be devastating. But you'd think something like that also would've happened with the IRS database with all the e-filing or a big bank with everyone's financial records, liquidity, investments, etc, by now too, so maybe it's just a matter of the right security. That's information that nefarious parties absolutely would have an interest in, so why hasn't it happened?.
    Because things like Equifax are mostly financial crime. It's easier for a criminal to just sit on the info and make fraudulent credit card applications rather than put together some kind of blackmail folder.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stumplicker View Post
    I don't buy the widespread attack and fraud theory, from either foreign or domestic sources. That stuff could be put together in the current system if such an entity were so inclined. Preventing that isn't much harder than the two step authentication most sites are starting to require now. Cast your vote, great. Don't have your specific cell phone on you to confirm that the vote was cast by you? No dice. Go find a physical polling station.
    I disagree that it could be done now. In my state (AZ) you can vote in person or mail-in. So either our Russian friends need to pull an Invasion of the Body Snatchers and replace the surly Boomers at hundreds of polling stations, or they commit widespread mail fraud, both of which I imagine are virtually impossible to do without being noticed.

    Edit to add: And don't even get me started on the disaffected teens you just mentioned. Why aren't they hacking the banks to put money in their accounts so they can buy more ..whatever...skinny jeans and goth eyeliner? The answer is because the security is too tight and the penalties are too strict. I would imagine trying to rig an election comes with...well even greater consequences than financial crimes. Treason or what have you.
    You don't need to hack into a website to shut something down. I mentioned them mostly because of the DDoS attacks they do. Doing it to the federal government would probably be more difficult than Sony, but our online voting website is all hypothetical at this point so we don't know its capabilities.
    Last edited by Taernath; 01-04-2019 at 01:07 PM.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

  6. #4856
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    A Corporate Republic
    Posts
    12,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardCranium View Post
    I'm torn between believing it likely hurts to be this stupid versus ignorance being bliss.
    This is correct.

  7. Default

    Ah well. It's probably not something feasible for right now anyway. Not til the computer savvy start getting into those high up governmental positions at any rate will it even be a discussion.

  8. Default

    Trump is floating the idea of using the military version of eminent domain to seize private land along the border for the wall. I bet the Federalist Society is going to looove this idea.

  9. #4859
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    31,150
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    Trump is floating the idea of using the military version of eminent domain to seize private land along the border for the wall. I bet the Federalist Society is going to looove this idea.
    The Government already owns the land along the border since the 1907 Roosevelt Reservation.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

  10. #4860
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    PWC, VA
    Posts
    8,558
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stumplicker View Post
    Australia's been using ranked choice voting for 100 years now. I think that's where the idea came from. It works really well. The only opposition to it is party-based. The parties have no incentive to implement a system that would allow independents and small parties into the mix in any meaningful way. If you're not familiar, the way it works is this.

    Candidate 1: Hillary Clinton (Tastycrat)
    Candidate 2: Donald Trump (Fingerlican)
    Candidate 3: Gary Johnson (Libertarian)
    Candidate 4: Jill Stein (Green Party)

    You order your candidates in the order you prefer. Here's an example ballot. Note: You don't have to put all the candidates on it. Just the ones you would want.

    The vote:

    1. Gary Johnson
    2. Donald Trump
    3. Jill Stein

    When the votes are tallied, they take all the Gary Johnson votes, tally them up. If Gary has no chance of winning, all the Gary Johnson voters get bumped down the list to their next choice, so in the above case, your vote goes to Donald Trump. If Donald Trump has no chance of winning, it moves down the list and now you've voted for Jill Stein. If Jill Stein has no chance of winning, you've abstained because you didn't put Hillary on the list.

    That way you can safely vote for an independent, a small party, a whatever without thinking your vote will go to waste because if it doesn't pan out, your vote goes to your next choice. My state uses it now as of this last election. I'm hoping more states adopt it and it catches on nationally.
    And no candidate would care about small population states. There would be 4 stops, CA, NY, FL, and TX.
    No, I am not Drauz in game.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •