PDA

View Full Version : Ignore Thread/Ignore Forum and the What's New Tab

Mighty Nikkisaurus
08-16-2014, 01:55 PM
Hey Kranar or whoever could look into this,

Is there any way we could get a feature so we could ignore or block a thread, or even an entire forum (politics, etc) and have it so those threads we've ignored don't show up in our "What's New" stream? I like the stream as a quick snapshot but it's usually littered with political threads and I'd prefer if there was a way to exclude them, and having a feature where we can ignore a thread or a forum on an individual basis would be useful I think.

Thoughts? Is that even possible?

Androidpk
08-16-2014, 02:19 PM
JFCOAPS, Nikki.. I've been sitting here thinking about this very same thing for the past 15 minutes and I see this post! Hah! :lol:

Please make this happen (if possible).

Tgo01
08-16-2014, 02:26 PM
But how would you be kept up to date with the goings on of the political world? :(

Androidpk
08-16-2014, 02:33 PM
But how would you be kept up to date with the goings on of the political world? :(

NPR/BBC

Tgo01
08-16-2014, 02:34 PM
NPR/BBC

Filthy barbarian!

Mighty Nikkisaurus
08-16-2014, 02:35 PM

I know this is just a joke but I've had to severely limit my consumption of news and politics because it was all making me pretty miserable and sad. I think having a kid addled my brains a little or something, lol. But really I'd like to keep that sort of stuff separate from my hobbies/fun time/Gemstone, and I'm sure a few other people feel the same!

Cuin
08-16-2014, 02:46 PM
Hey Kranar or whoever could look into this,

Is there any way we could get a feature so we could ignore or block a thread, or even an entire forum (politics, etc) and have it so those threads we've ignored don't show up in our "What's New" stream? I like the stream as a quick snapshot but it's usually littered with political threads and I'd prefer if there was a way to exclude them, and having a feature where we can ignore a thread or a forum on an individual basis would be useful I think.

Thoughts? Is that even possible?

I was just thinking the same thing. For people who want to have political discussions ... more power to you, but I like coming to this forum for GS related stuff. Personally I'm sick and tired of politics (not anything the forum members have said or believe in, just politics in general) so it'd be nice to not see those threads if I choose not to.

Androidpk
08-16-2014, 02:47 PM
I know this is just a joke but I've had to severely limit my consumption of news and politics because it was all making me pretty miserable and sad. I think having a kid addled my brains a little or something, lol. But really I'd like to keep that sort of stuff separate from my hobbies/fun time/Gemstone, and I'm sure a few other people feel the same!

I did that recently. What a difference it makes too.

Back
08-16-2014, 02:54 PM
Sounds like a great idea. I can certainly empathize with our members who want that separation. Constantly hearing bad news and people constantly arguing can certainly be a buzzkill.

Taelinn
08-16-2014, 02:55 PM
Great idea, especially since the political topics tend to have a zillion posts at once.

JackWhisper
08-16-2014, 03:34 PM
And people tend to reply every 2 minutes, flooding the What's New section with Political instead of things people may want to see, like awesome auction deals! Bump for agree. Make this separation please!

diethx
08-17-2014, 08:50 PM
Agreed, for political and GS threads. My What's New is going to be very empty... lol

Gelston
08-17-2014, 09:00 PM
Can we turn this thread into a politics thread now?

JackWhisper
08-17-2014, 09:16 PM
Gelston. When EQNext comes out, you better play with me and the rest of the guys on the same server!! AND faction!

Gelston
08-17-2014, 09:30 PM
Gelston. When EQNext comes out, you better play with me and the rest of the guys on the same server!! AND faction!

But... Daggerfall Covenant > Ebonhart Pact!

JackWhisper
08-17-2014, 10:19 PM
SO no. That's why you were the only one out of NINE of us to not be Ebonheart. FAIL!

Mighty Nikkisaurus
08-18-2014, 12:22 AM
Can we turn this thread into a politics thread now?

Shut up idiot, you are so wrong! WORDS. LOUD NOISES.

There we go.

Gelston
08-18-2014, 10:37 AM
Shut up idiot, you are so wrong! WORDS. LOUD NOISES.

There we go.

Obama, gun control, Jesus, Benghazi, Hilary Clinton, Ferguson

SO no. That's why you were the only one out of NINE of us to not be Ebonheart. FAIL!

Because I am a free thinker.

AnticorRifling
08-18-2014, 10:50 AM
I'll look into it. Probably won't be able to give it a serious look until about 6p tonight though.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
08-18-2014, 10:52 AM
I'll look into it. Probably won't be able to give it a serious look until about 6p tonight though.

You're the best!

Androidpk
08-18-2014, 10:56 AM
I love the system reddit has where it only shows what you subscribe to.

Gelston
08-18-2014, 11:02 AM
I love the system reddit has where it only shows what you subscribe to.

But then I'd have to subscribe to everything.

Androidpk
08-18-2014, 11:10 AM
But then I'd have to subscribe to everything.

Just have everything be the default selection. It's a win win for everyone involved!

Gelston
08-18-2014, 11:11 AM
Just have everything be the default selection. It's a win win for everyone involved!

No, change is bad. I shall have you burned at the stake for witchcraft.

Androidpk
08-18-2014, 11:20 AM
Cake or death, cake or death!!

Gelston
08-18-2014, 11:24 AM
Pie.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
08-20-2014, 03:28 PM
Any updates on this, Anticor?

The Affirmative Action thread makes me want to put my face into a cheese grater.

Whirlin
08-20-2014, 04:01 PM
And people tend to reply every 2 minutes, flooding the What's New section with Political instead of things people may want to see, like awesome auction deals! Bump for agree. Make this separation please!

This is why you just need to somehow integrate in your awesome salespitch into your political debates, or your gaming debates, or your debates about how awesome of a deal a 5x fusion longbow is at only 5m (spoiler: awesome). If your thread is being buried, just need to figure out new ways to promote it.

But I also very much want this change.

Gelston
08-20-2014, 06:16 PM
I didn't realize people even used the What's New button. I use the New Posts one.

Tgo01
08-20-2014, 06:18 PM
I didn't realize people even used the What's New button. I use the New Posts one.

That's what I use too.

What's New is nice for seeing posts to people's walls and and pictures being posted and what not but I find it much easier to ignore the threads I'm not interested in by using the New Posts feature :p

DaCapn
08-22-2014, 12:05 PM
Just as another way to visualize this suggestion (from an implementation standpoint, I guess), this could also work if the "subscribed forums" (categories) setting would subscribe you to all new threads in those categories. This would also allow an explicit unsubscribe to prevent future notifications. Even better would be if it was in a tree format where it showed the parent category.

I just subscribe to 4-5 categories and pretty much read those exclusively. But every time they have activity, I have to open the category, then open all of the threads. Not that big of a deal but I'd subscribe to a few more if all of the new threads were aggregated into one spot. I'm more interested in it from a perspective of threads than posts, personally, so this particular route is better. Not sure if this is the experience you're seeking. The new posts feature just seems to nurture "internet disease" to me.

AnticorRifling
08-22-2014, 12:21 PM
I see what you're saying, I'm looking at a few different options. I think before I do anything or have Kranar apply any changes I'll throw out a few suggested routes for voting.

Androidpk
10-08-2014, 09:13 AM
I see what you're saying, I'm looking at a few different options. I think before I do anything or have Kranar apply any changes I'll throw out a few suggested routes for voting.

Le bump

AnticorRifling
10-08-2014, 09:25 AM
Yeah I've totally slacked on it. I blame white people (JUST KIDDING BACK DONT GET MAD AND SELF HATE)

Back
10-08-2014, 09:29 AM
Yeah I've totally slacked on it. I blame white people (JUST KIDDING BACK DONT GET MAD AND SELF HATE)

Well, we blame you, and you are a white male... all of our problem come from the man trying to keep us down.

Androidpk
10-08-2014, 09:37 AM

Too late, he's already self-flagellating!

Gelston
10-08-2014, 11:39 AM
How do I ignore this thread?

Parkbandit
10-08-2014, 11:52 AM
How do I ignore this thread?

Have a modicum of self control?

Gelston
10-08-2014, 12:21 PM
Have a modicum of self control?

Haha, he said mod I cum.

diethx