PDA

View Full Version : Ranger help

Numbers
08-02-2004, 02:43 PM
I'm getting bored with my main character, and I've been thinking that I want to give a ranger a try. The only problem is, I don't have a clue about their strengths and weaknesses.

So, does anyone know of any really good ranger guides, or could help me out?

Stat placement I don't know where to start.

As for training, I'd like the ranger to be a Voln-Fu brawler as well as a ranged bow user.

If anybody knows where I can grab some good scripts for low level hunting around the Landing, that would also be really helpful.

Thanks.

Parkbandit
08-02-2004, 03:00 PM
I never understood the need for learning two armed methods of combat. It works well for warriors and maybe rogues.. but for every other profession.. it's just too damn expensive to do AND learn the other skills. You sacrifice spells, combat maneuvers, ambushing, perception... something.

Personally, my characters become an expert in 1 weapon class and enhance that with the spells and skills necessary to become a monster. A 2nd rate hunter just isn't an option for me.

Stunseed
08-02-2004, 03:03 PM
Elrodin would be the one you want to talk to if you're going ranged/Fu.

Then when you really want to be a Ranger, U2U me. :yes:

Numbers
08-02-2004, 03:15 PM
Well, here's the reasons why I wanted to do both.

Rangers seem make the best Voln-Fu'ers. However, until I can actually use Voln-Fu with my ranger, his hunting would be difficult due to the deficiencies with brawling weapons.

I suppose I can just double ranged until I advance in Voln enough to learn Fu, and then just use a fixskills to drop the range and replace it with brawling.

But, then there's the fact that Voln-Fu is slated for a severe nerf once monks and the unarmed combat system comes out, so, then I'd be screwed.

Drew2
08-02-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by 3704558
once monks and the unarmed combat system comes out

You're good for about 4 more years, so why worry? :)

Numbers
08-02-2004, 03:34 PM
Good point.

So, how would this sound?

1x armor
2x ranged
2x brawling
1x ambush
1x harness power
2x hiding
2x perception
.5x dodging
1x spells

With the rest of the points spread to other areas as I see fit. The only problem is that I'd have no CM training, so no maneuvers.

Is a training plan like this even possible? And what are good starting stats for a ranger? And where can I find some good hunting scripts?

Parkbandit
08-02-2004, 03:37 PM
Brawling weapons have come a long way to what they used to be. Now there are many to choose from and you can even find some weighted ones out there. I personally believe they are now a viable weapon group.

I WOULD never use them.. I love archery and the ability to aim for eyes for 1 shot deaths. :)

Drew
08-02-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by 3704558
Good point.

So, how would this sound?

1x armor
2x ranged
2x brawling
1x ambush
1x harness power
2x hiding
2x perception
.5x dodging
1x spells

With the rest of the points spread to other areas as I see fit. The only problem is that I'd have no CM training, so no maneuvers.

Is a training plan like this even possible? And what are good starting stats for a ranger? And where can I find some good hunting scripts?

I'm not a big fan of CM for any rangers but I think that you should at least pick up some if you plan to be out in the open for any period of time. If I was going to make a brawling ranger I'd just do edged until I had Fu and then Fixskills. Anyway, I'd wait for Elrodin to post, he'd have better advice than anyone else.

Parkbandit
08-02-2004, 04:06 PM
Without shield.. I would do no less than 2x dodge.

Drew
08-02-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Parkbandit
Without shield.. I would do no less than 2x dodge.

As a ranger? 2x in dodge? That's near insanity if you ask me. Second training in dodge costs 14/10, ranger training is already expensive enough as it is, and we get 1x a level dodge from mobiles anyway. Two timing in dodge would mean that the ranger would effectively be 3x in it, there's no need to really.

Edited because I wrote 12/10 instead of 14/10

[Edited on 8-2-2004 by Drew]

Hanksbane
08-02-2004, 05:04 PM
I'm a two weapon ranger (ranged and edged) and I don't think i sacrificed anything I really needed. 1x ambush and 1x dodge works for me fine. I didn't sacrifice any spells. I didn't train in CM which sometimes gets me in trouble if Im just standing there, but I'm mostly in the shadows so no big loss. I did manage to get some CMs during the upper levels just to see what all the CMAN's were like. But so far nothing really strikes me as "OMG I N33dz0r NOW!" For my ranger that is.

Numbers
08-02-2004, 06:58 PM
How's this look for stat placement? It's with long-term growth in mind, but I'll probably end up boosting the primary stats.

STR: 75
CON: 50
DEX: 85
AGI: 75
DIS: 70
AUR: 83
LOG: 60
INT: 72
WIS: 70
INF: 20

I'm also still trying to decide what race this character should be. Right now it's between human, half-elf, sylvan, and erithian.

[Edited on 8-2-2004 by 3704558]

Anebriated
08-03-2004, 02:03 PM
I believe your looking for a plan such as this...

>skill
Elrodin (at level 46), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use...........................| 111 27
Ranged Weapons...............| 194 94
Brawling..............................| 194 94
Ambush...............................| 148 48
Physical Fitness...................| 148 48
Dodging...............................| 148 48
Magic Item Use....................| 50 10
Harness Power....................| 147 47
Spirit Mana Control..............| 90 20
Stalking and Hiding.............| 194 94