PDA

View Full Version : ranged archer plan for a first timer

Celexei
06-20-2004, 11:02 PM
well i successfully managed to corrupt yet another life with the disease we call gemstone....and he wanted me to help him set up a plan for a ranged archer...i told him abit about CoL and Voln and he seemed to think Voln was a bit less rewarding and to much work..which i don't blame him...anywho i with the help of Elrodin came up with a decent plan i do believe and it is as follows: feel free in fact i encourage you to help me tweak it. And as for the 1x Cman. there are some good archer maneuvers, smastery, soon mfire, and fun ones like garrote and other disabling maneuvers, they're all nice, but they can actually be useful.

Elf Ranger

Strength (STR): 80
Constitution (CON): 50
Dexterity (DEX): 85
Agility (AGI): 70
Discipline (DIS): 75
Aura (AUR): 70
Logic (LOG): 70
Intuition (INT): 80
Wisdom (WIS): 60
Influence (INF): 20

armor 1x
ranged 2x
ambush 2x
perception 2x
stalking and hiding 2x
cman 1x
pf 1x
harness power 1x
ranger spells 1x
dodge 1x

with 6 phys TP's left over

total TP's of the plan are 47/44

should i have him pick up 2x survival or just keep what he has as of now...also also...just any certain advice for him, he's sorta familiar with game play but i'll be helpin him with what he's not. Thanks guys

Artha
06-20-2004, 11:20 PM
cman 1x

Use the TPs for something more worthwhile.

Celexei
06-20-2004, 11:22 PM
like what? just a personal opinion but i've always loved Cman skills and they can be usefull to any profession

Artha
06-20-2004, 11:26 PM
just a personal opinion but i've always loved Cman skills and they can be usefull to any profession

As an archer, most of the cman skills are useless. The only one that might be useful isn't out yet, and probably won't be that useful once you can snipe reliably.

like what?

I don't know. 2xing armor or dodging maybe? I don't really know ranger skill costs.

Celexei
06-20-2004, 11:35 PM
that may be an idea but still there are alot of Cman that aren't usually thought of for Archers but work just as well for any profession, the maneuvers list is great for anyone, and my rogue archer 2x's cman and they have worked GREAT for her

Artha
06-20-2004, 11:38 PM
Name me 3 current CMs that work well for archers.

Anebriated
06-20-2004, 11:39 PM
cman is worthless, i still suggest doubling armor until 60 ranks(augmented chain) and then stopping armor and going from 1x to 2x(fill in any extra ranks) of dodge.

Celexei
06-20-2004, 11:42 PM
alright, dropped the cman, picked up 2x armor, which gladly does leave me with 9/3 in TP's what should i pick up? maybe go survival and first aid?

Artha
06-20-2004, 11:43 PM
cman is worthless

Yes.

i still suggest doubling armor until 60 ranks(augmented chain)

Personally, I'd go till brig. It's supposed to get hard to hide in anything heavier, and even though rangers have that spiffy camouflage spell, you'd still run the risk of getting pointed out.

Celexei
06-20-2004, 11:44 PM
okay wow...actually really exciting, i just went for 2x brawling with it, this plan is actually i would say phenominal now

Artha
06-20-2004, 11:46 PM
Why do the brawling?

Celexei
06-20-2004, 11:48 PM
because he may decided to go voln since it was possible to fit it in, unless you have other suggestions...i mean could go edged and all i suppose, and be pretty wicked ambushing that way, and would be slightly cheaper, should i have him go towards that way?

Artha
06-20-2004, 11:51 PM
Voln Fu's pretty bad ass, if he goes that way. Otherwise, I'd save up the points for more dodging or armor.

Celexei
06-20-2004, 11:53 PM
i'm liking the option of being a total wicked ambusher as well as sniper, how can you possibly go wrong there?

Artha
06-20-2004, 11:54 PM
Because you're wasting points...if you're a sniper, you don't need to ambush. You'll end up doing one or the other most of the time. Also, if you're going to be an ambusher, you'll need to grab two skills: OHE and shield.

Celexei
06-20-2004, 11:56 PM
who would need a shield if your staying in the shadows at all times...but maybe your right, maybe just go fu, i'm not sure

Artha
06-20-2004, 11:57 PM
who would need a shield if your staying in the shadows at all times...

You can't do that as an ambusher. You'll be out for at least as long as it takes to swing.

Celexei
06-21-2004, 12:19 AM
so go with fu then would be a good idea...i've never had a fu character, but i've dated a guy that was REALLY wicked with fu, i think i'll have him go for that

Artha
06-21-2004, 12:30 AM
Fu's cool...just be careful not to hunt undead 24/7, because you burn out (mentally) really quick. The stats you have look pretty good for fu.

Celexei
06-21-2004, 12:37 AM
good good, so sounds like a set plan, a good trade, 1x Cman for..upping to 2x armor, and goin from 0x-2x brawling

Edaarin
06-21-2004, 12:41 AM
Umm...so let me get this straight...you want to

2x armor
2x ranged
2x brawl
2x ambush
2x percep
2x hide
1x PF
1x HP
1x spell
1x dodge

Are you sure you have enough points for that?

Drew
06-21-2004, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Edaarin
Umm...so let me get this straight...you want to

2x armor
2x ranged
2x brawl
2x ambush
2x percep
2x hide
1x PF
1x HP
1x spell
1x dodge

Are you sure you have enough points for that?

Yeah, there is no way that is happening

Axhinde
06-21-2004, 12:56 AM
For a Ranger, yeah...you always could go Rogue if you wanted all that minus the 1x spell deal. Join CoL, and say "Fuck it" to 608.

Artha
06-21-2004, 12:58 AM
If you're going to do fu, drop archery. And if you're going to drop archery, you might as well drop stalking and hiding and ambush too.

CrystalTears
06-21-2004, 01:01 AM
Hunting undead as an archer is really tough, so you'd have to rely on the voln fu to be efficient. It's a neat training path, I will say.

I personally wouldn't double in armor. It's not necessary as an archer. Then again I used my points for survival so that I could skin better and make some extra silver off of it.

Artha
06-21-2004, 01:15 AM
As an archer, I doubled up to 40 ranks. I'm not quite fully trained for brig, but it works. And, at 39, i'm going to get a ton of points.

Celexei
06-21-2004, 03:05 AM
you know the funny thing is....i got ALL that in with extra TP's left over, and the plan is gonna kick some ass, i'm completly satisfied
and if you see the little guy runnin around, his name is Dahkor...he's new to the lands...help him out hes around Wehnimers. Make him feel welcome and helped like you all made me and i'm sure you all had., thanks for the input guys, ya helped bunches.

Souzy
06-28-2004, 04:36 AM
So what was the plan that you ended up with?

Celexei
06-28-2004, 04:52 AM
the training path after a few trains worked down to lower TP's but still works really well, right now its set up perfect to go with

1x armor
2x ranged
2x brawl
2x ambush
1.5x percep
2x hide
1x PF
1x HP
1x spell
1.5x dodge

Kamiton
08-20-2004, 11:43 PM
I just have to drop my 2 cents in about cman, since mfire came out I'm completely convinced its an archers best friend and well worth the tp to get.

Numbers
08-21-2004, 12:06 AM
That's almost the exact plan I came up with for the ranger I just made.

1x armor (until I can wear brig)
2x ranged
2x brawl
1x ambush
1x PF (until max HP is reached)
1x dodging
2x hide
2x perception
1x harness
1x spells

I also alternate swimming and climbing, and train in spirit mana control every other train, until I reach the obligator ~25 ranks in each. I'm barely scraping by with enough training points.

The ranger's only level 15 now, but he's mastered Voln, and has been using Voln-Fu to great effect. I haven't really done any sniping yet, as almost every like-levelled creature I've tried to hunt has been able to spot me, and he can't aim reliably yet.

The only bad thing about the training plan is no MIU and no CM. I'm not too sore about the CM, though, as I don't think mfire is worth it, since you can't aim it. If you're going for eye shots that'll kill outright, why bother using an mfire? And if the eye shot doesn't kill on the first try, it should at least stun, in which case a swift kick to the head will finish it off.

My only concern thus far is that my RT for firing a longbow in hiding while aiming is a whopping 6 seconds, and probably won't get any lower as the character's a sylph (unless I stock up on lots of white crystals,) so I've been using a composite bow.

Drew
08-21-2004, 12:38 AM
Every time I see how many points ranger archers get I get quite jealous, it's just not fair...

Anyway on topic, voln fu is seriously amazing (especially with mobiles), everyone says it's gonna get nerfed when monks come out but I doubt it. My understanding is that voln fu is some of the oldest code in the game at the moment and no one really wants to mess with it.

Izzy101
08-21-2004, 02:36 AM
Just an idea, but if hes going to be a sniper you might want to bump strength to 90 for that extra 5 bonus, bringing it to 20 if im not mistaken, to drop another second off the RT. Or, max it, and get wizards strength, and use a longbow in 3 seconds :socool:. The +2 seconds from sniping and aiming are kinda yucky, so that strength might help. Again, just a suggestion.

Oh, and longbow in 3 seconds is without sniping/aiming..I forgot to mention. But you probably figured that out...so I'll stop now.
-Ragonik

[Edited on 8-21-2004 by Izzy101]