Thread: Unionization movement amongst gaming employees

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    Unions step in, put laid off workers on the books, and find them some place to go. It's not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than just being shown the door.
    Which unions are these? When I was laid off from my only union job the union did exactly jack shit for me. I'm sure they negotiated all of the benefits I received for being laid off and were responsible for us being given a 1 month notice, but when it came to the actual laying off part the union was no where to be found. They sure as heck didn't try to get me another job, my employer offered me a transfer but I wasn't in a position to move half way across the country at that time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    Which unions are these? When I was laid off from my only union job the union did exactly jack shit for me. I'm sure they negotiated all of the benefits I received for being laid off and were responsible for us being given a 1 month notice, but when it came to the actual laying off part the union was no where to be found. They sure as heck didn't try to get me another job, my employer offered me a transfer but I wasn't in a position to move half way across the country at that time.
    IBEW. The type of help you receive depends heavily on the collective bargaining agreement your union negotiates. Sometimes you're transferred between positions at the same place, but in my area it's a lot of relocating to a new job site, mostly within a couple days, sometimes longer. For tech industry stuff I'm sure it would work differently.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.