Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Loresongs

*** an enruned veniom band traced with gold ***

This is the 12setting teleporting ring that Kalros won with the highest bid of 125,000 bloodscript at today's Bloodscript Auction. Very nice that it has its own song. KUDOS!

Kalros handed it to me this afternoon to sing to. I hope all the auction items have splendid songs, too!

~Loresong~
    ~verse 1~
    As your verses weave their tones around the veniom band, you get an impression that this item is not only magical but very rare as well. It is quite light, less than 1 pound, and you feel that it's quite valuable.

... I looked at it, thinking, what a nice touch for the "value" response, and went on singing, expecting to hear something quite normal after that. Wow, was I wrong.

~verse 2~
    Your words and melody surround the veniom band, drawing a soft phosphorescent glow from it. Sigils begin to flicker on its surface, their forms archaic but still recognizable as as numerals. They change in rapid succession, each one overlaying its predecessor, then they quickly fade away.

~verse 3~
    You sing to the veniom band, your melody carressing and coaxing it. Slowly you feel the magic lying within the band begin to respond... you knew it was there! It is an old magic, and a complex one.

A tongue of power lashes out from the band and fills your mind with an image. An ancient sylvan bends over a cluttered worktable, his gnarled hands cupping an identical band to the one in your hands. You seem to know they are one and the same.

As he croons his conjuration, the words powerful and mysterious, the band begins to glow. The old necromancer slowly reaches for a terrified young hawk lying trussed on the table. He lifts the bird gently with one hand while holding the brightly glowing band in his other...

Suddenly, a blinding flash of light obliterates the vision of the room. As the glare fades, you see the raptor has disappeared and the band glows more fiercely than before. A single feather drifts down to the surface of the table as the image fades from your consciousness.

~verse 4~
    As you croon to the veniom band, you sense its power join your melody in a joyful flight, like a bird sweeping through feathery clouds on powerful wings. The band exudes a sense of exhilaration, reveling in its mastery of flight and command of the heavens.

In the next heartbeat, you feel as if you are plummeting into a darkness so pervasive and suffocating, you fear you have fallen into the worst nightmare imaginable. Darkness surrounds you, fills you, its grasp like the cold touch of oblivion. You find you cannot move, cannot breath. Desolation overlays your horrible fear.

Abruptly, the feelings snap into nothing, retreating back into the memory of the band. You are left feeling unsettled and a little sad.
    Luxie's adventures (because I must write) plus some guests from the past at my blog:
    http://www.thebardess.com

***a wire-wrapped vaalin lockpick***
    or
    ***a twisted-wire vaalin bracelet***

A wearable, self-repairing lockpick that was sold at Duskruin, has it's own loresong!

~verse 1
    Peripheral noises fade away and you feel a momentary sense of disorientation. When your stomach settles, your setting has shifted. Looking about, glowing cauldrons of molten steel and other metals send waves of shimmering heat skyward. Among the roaring heat of the massive cauldrons are the forms of halflings moving about in a workman-life fashion. Several have long tongs as tall as they are that they use to hold glowing, fresh cast items. They then use them as they dunk the heated metal in buckets of water in billows of steam.

~verse 2
    Your surroundings fade and once more you find yourself among the glowing cauldrons. Peering down between the rows of roiling kettles, several tall workbenches can be seen, a master halfling craftsman seated on tall stools at each. Bent over and studiously working at pieces of still glowing metal, the craftsmen work frantically to shape the pieces even as the objects seem to flow and move without the craftsmen's touch.

~verse 3
    The lights and noises fade once again. This time you find yourself in a dark corner of the room alongside a smaller version of the cauldrons of liquid metal. An older halfling glances furtively about and then places a broken lockpick in the grip of the tongs that he is holding. Glancing quickly once more around each side of the cauldron, he lowers the lockpick into the cauldron, flinching from the heat. After several minutes he extracts the now glowing lockpick and clamps it into a vice and begins to slowly stretch and twist it until it resembles nothing more than a band of wrist-sized wires. He continues to pull on it as it flows and moves as if fighting his attempts to change its shape. Hurriedly he removes the now bracelet-shaped object and drops it into a bucket of water which begins to roil and then settles back to its untroubled surface. Hearing a yell, the halfling starts guiltily and reaches into the bucket, grimacing at the still warm object. Stuffing it into his dirty coveralls, he hurries off among the rows of cauldrons.

No 4th verse that I heard.
    Luxie's adventures (because I must write) plus some guests from the past at my blog:
    http://www.thebardess.com

3. Default

a veil iron-nocked red longbow

That is an Uska bow per Ardwen

(OOC) Aurach's player whispers, "5x, increases by rangers power, in mine 10x. permablessed, selfproducing pure energy arrows, lightning flares every shot."

The noise and light fades around you. Blinking your eyes you find yourself among an armed and armored group of Sylvankind, many sporting wounds and bandages. All around the sounds of heavy fighting filters in from among the trees. Screams and cries of things only dreamt of in nightmares can be heard coming from the edges of the encircled position the Sylvans hold. The leader of the band, an arrow protruding from the shoulder, gives an unheard command and her retainers begin stripping off the most powerful of their artifacts. Once shorn of the items they wrap them in cloth and place them in a chest. The chest is then lowered into a hole dug beneath a massive oak's roots and covered with loamy earth. The sole remaining cleric in the group blesses the ground to hide the cache from the unholy. The leader of the band gives a curt nod and the group with you among them draw their remaining weapons and charge one last time into the forest. Suddenly feeling a sharp pain, you see a feathered shaft has sprouted from your chest. With a final scream you collapse and everything around you goes black.

The other verses weren't historical, but instead were regular loresong info
    Last edited by shad0ws0ngs; 03-16-2016 at 06:44 PM.
    Japhrimel takes his black branding iron and jabs the superheated metal into your open wound. You let out a scream as the hot iron sizzles against your flesh, which begins to smoke and burn. The sensation sets your nerves aflame with blinding white agony, but somehow you manage to retain consciousness through the excruciating procedure. At last, the wound is blackened and sealed, but the pain is slow to recede.

...unfortunately, your heart gives out a moment later.

That is an Uska bow not a Banthis, Banthis lightning bow was a short bow unless I misremember
    Khaladon starts to turn the crystal knob, but stops with a frightened look on his face. He begins shaking uncontrollably and flies across the room, as though by some invisible force.

**SPLAT!!** Khaladon careens off the far wall, slides down the smooth wood panelling and collapses into a quivering heap on the floor, with only his dignity bruised.

Small dark elf statuette

As you sing, you feel a faint, resonating vibration from the dark elf statuette in your hand, but it is difficult to discern any information from it.

When you finish your verse, however, the dark elf statuette opens its own mouth and sings in reply.

"Not all who speak can share their thoughts
    With all who speak as well,
    And sometimes language barriers
    Give rise to something fell."

Roundtime: 7 sec.

When you finish, there is a pause, and then the dark elf statuette sings in reply.

"Within my heart, I hold the key
    To break those barriers down.
    A whispered word, I will repeat
    To all who know its sound."

After a pause, the dark elf statuette sings its reply:

"In Dark Elven, I share my speech
    For all who would declare
    A new age must be wrought anew,
    The old is too unfair."

After a pause, the dark elf statuette sings its reply:

"Do not abuse my voice with lies
    Or with obscenities--
    Like clay, I will be crumbled then,
    Like leaves from falling trees."

This came from Exkain's morning star. Caught my eye as he unsheathed it cause it was hissing. Was thankful he allowed me to sing to it. Only information I got about it was that the flares are realm based and such. I bought a realm flaring weapon and basically the same song.

The first thing that strikes you about the star is the sturdy craftmanship, the uncanny balance, and the elegant design. The metal from which the star is crafted feels strangely heavy in your hand. You sense rare, wild magics in the weapon, magics that are tied in some elemental fashion to time and place.

Your voice strains to overcome the protective properties of a spiked eonake morning star. An image, faint at first, forms slowly in your mind. An ancient forge lit by a small, white hot fire. A leather-aproned dwarf, hammer in hand, squinting against the bright fire, intently examining the still hot weapon. A gentle tap here, a feathery touch there, each made with quiet confidence, each touch of hammer to weapon almost a prayer.

The scene shifts as you continue your song. A stone croft on some remote, barren mountainside. Beside the croft, a stone structure resembling a well, but filled with what appears to be peculiar orange sand. The edge of the star is immersed to the hilt in this odd sand. The dwarven smithy stands well to one side as the sand begins to roil and shift. Waves of power emanate from the sand, enveloping the weapon. Lightning flashes, flames dance around the rim of the structure, the ground rattles, wisps of icy blue fire encircle the weapon, the harsh stink of acid envelopes the area.

Voice cracking, you continue to coax images from the star. Images from generations of dwarves flicker by, from the first battle of the dwarven clans wars to the clearing of Wehnimer's Landing. You see the star rising and falling in battle, you hear the sound as it slashes through the air, you feel the solid shock as it strikes bone. Battles fought, prizes won, lives lost. Across the ages the star has retained its solid form, has kept its feral beauty, has remained true to its purpose.
    Last edited by Seizer; 04-30-2016 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Realm flare weapon
    Semper superne nitens.

7. Default

a twisted black branding iron - The black branding iron is about twelve inches long and comprised of a strange dark alloy, the surface of which swims and ripples under ambient light. A number of small perforations surround the circular shaft. Near the bottom of the handle, which is wrapped in heavy leather, the words "Load Here" have been graven into the metal. The tip is rounded and flattened on the end.

The black branding iron seems to be made from some heat-treated metal that you have never seen before. There is some powdered ash around the tip of the black branding iron, indicating it has been used on something that would account for the residue.

Your song gives a vision of Agarnil Kris showing an apprentice dwarf how to use the black branding iron. He presses on the black branding iron while holding some item in his other hand that you can't quite make out and smoothly inserts it in the bottom opening of the black branding iron.

The vision resumes as you see Agarnil point the hot iron at a severely bleeding patient and firmly hold it on the bleeding area until the flesh begins to cauterize, sealing the wound.
    Japhrimel takes his black branding iron and jabs the superheated metal into your open wound. You let out a scream as the hot iron sizzles against your flesh, which begins to smoke and burn. The sensation sets your nerves aflame with blinding white agony, but somehow you manage to retain consciousness through the excruciating procedure. At last, the wound is blackened and sealed, but the pain is slow to recede.

...unfortunately, your heart gives out a moment later.

I don't think I've contributed this one before:

You remove a twisted dull black talisman from in your sack.

You determine that you could wear the talisman anywhere on your body. The talisman appears to serve some purpose.

It looks like this item has been mainly crafted out of gemstone.

The material of the talisman has been gnarled and bent, forming a twisted shape out of smooth crystal, its surface dull and black.

[Script]>tap my talisman
    You tap your fingertips against the smooth, dull black crystal within your talisman and wonder what became of the Star of Khar'ta.

Loresong:

The colors of the world around you bleed away, leaving only blackness to rush in to greet your vision. Along the blanket of darkness, tiny emerald fragments begin to twinkle into existence like diminutive viridian stars amid the night sky. Soon, the specks of green light slowly gravitate together, crawling across the darkness to move within but only inches apart.

The emerald shards of light gradually merge like bright celadon puzzle pieces, finally fitting together to form a glowing green sphere against the backdrop of night. Suddenly, a spark of azure energy comes to life within the sphere, churning and twisted about wildly. The green orb flashes with an intense emerald light then descends rapidly, falling through the air as it plummets to the ground.

An elf stands defiant upon the long shore, gusts of wind twirling about him violently, causing his aquamarine robes to flap wildly around his slender form. His eyes glow with a brilliant emerald light, a color to match the flawless green orb he clutches tightly in his hands. The sounds of war erupt in the distance, slightly muffled by the stinging rain and wind. The dark forms of ships appear in the distance, but are soon torn asunder as they come under attack from rival ships or violent waves.

The elven wizard's body is bathed in an emerald glow, originating from the orb he hoists up into the air. Black clouds thicken overhead, their nebulous forms expanding quickly and extending out into the sea. Brilliant, jade lightning arcs across the bottom of the clouds, periodically splitting off to strike at the black ships approaching the shore.

Suddenly, a streak of fire snakes in from the side, striking the elven mage's leg and causing him to lurch forward. Flames lick along the mage's side, while wisps of smoke trail up from his robes. He frantically swats at his clothing, putting out the fire but dropping the green orb in the process. As he turns to face his attacker, he notices the black longship that has somehow made it ashore. Marching purposely toward him are two dark-robed Faendryl. The mage shouts in disbelief as a host of demons fan out like a wave behind their dark elven masters.

The elven mage reaches down for the green orb, but it is too late. Another bolt of flames strikes him in the chest, causing him to fall back, gasping heavily for breath through scorched lungs and blackened ribs. He reaches out desperately, extending his finger to just barely touch the surface of the green orb. His cry is pitiful, a death rattle resonating from his seared throat.

Suddenly, the green orb explodes into a brilliant display of emerald light and a huge wave comes crashing along the shore, engulfing the body of the Ashrim mage.

Roundtime: 6 sec.

The colors of the world around you bleed away, leaving only blackness to rush in to greet your vision. Along the blanket of darkness, tiny emerald fragments begin to twinkle into existence like diminutive viridian stars amid the night sky. Soon, the specks of green light slowly gravitate together, crawling across the darkness to move within but only inches apart.

The emerald shards of light gradually merge like bright celadon puzzle pieces, finally fitting together to form a glowing green sphere against the backdrop of night. Suddenly, a spark of azure energy comes to life within the sphere, churning and twisted about wildly. The green orb flashes with an intense emerald light then descends rapidly, falling through the air as it plummets to the ground.

A human, hunched over to display the bumps along his gnarled back through his ratty and rotten clothes, mumbles incoherently as he rocks back and forth, cradling a green orb in his grimy hands. His eyes twitch, glowing with a faint green hue. The few strands of grey hair that cling to his discolored scalp whip back and forth as he nervously glances between strange sounds echoing off the cavern walls of his small cove.

The waves lap loudly before him, rushing in from the sea, rising almost to his feet before moving back out of the cove. The man continues to babble, awkwardly shifting where he sits as he engages in a muffled dialogue with the orb. He suddenly falls silent, looking up to the entrance of the cove where the form of a ship begins to take shape against the ocean fog. He tightens his hold on the orb and scrambles backward, shrinking against the wall.

From the watery pool of the cove rise four cloaked forms, each clutching a wicked dagger between their teeth. The man's orb begins to glow brightly, its emerald light illuminating the cove. The four men approaching cautiously step up out of the water, their mismatched and ragged clothing soaked. One of the men steps forward, gold teeth grinning beneath his bushy black beard. The other invaders follow his lead, slowly circling around to encroach upon the man.

The man tears up his back against the rocky cavern wall as he tries to inch away without success. He suddenly lifts the green orb before him and bellows loudly, his scratchy voice reverberating off the rock walls. The green orb suddenly expands, burning away the man's hands, and floats out before him. Emerald light ripples throughout the cove, and as the ocean tide comes pouring into the cave, engulfs everyone within.

A huge krolvin steps out onto the quarterdeck of his massive crimson ship, his mismatched red and yellow eyes scanning the onslaught before him. Torrents of wind and rain rush violently over him, tearing at his long azure cape as he lets loose a raucous bark. His ship shifts from side to side, rising and falling with the powerful waves rippling across Darkstone Bay.

He looks on as a host of his krolvin warriors engage a group of adventurers on the main deck, their forces becoming blurred among the rain and chaos of battle. They are but featureless silhouettes, shadowed by the black storm clouds above. The krolvin warlord runs his slender fingers along the green orb, calling forth bolts of emerald lightning to strike out at his enemies, blasting them across the deck or overboard into the waves.

A battle horn suddenly pierces the commotion of the conflict, soon answered by the rally cries of the invading adventurers. The warlord snarls with fury, the white hair along his shoulders bristling despite the downpour. Piles of krolvin warriors clutter the deck, more added by the second. Having vanquished his army, the rush of adventurers turn their eyes to the warlord, swarming across the deck toward his position like an army of ants.

The adventurers soon have him surrounded, many swinging blades and axes of steel, while others hurl bolts of fire and lightning. The krolvin warlord cackles wildly as the wall of air surrounding him reflects each strike harmlessly. Despite his victorious cry, one figure moves in closer, striking forth with a sleek longsword, its black blade effortlessly passing through the wind barrier to strike the krolvin in the gut.

Unexpectedly, the green orb burns away the krolvin's hands, rising up from the corpse to churn among the dark clouds. Huge waves crash into the ship, sending the adventurers into the bay, while gale force winds begin to tear the vessel apart. The emerald orb expands in the sky, shifting and turning before it explodes, a mix of green and azure light rippling across the sky before a massive tide destroys the crimson warship.

The colors of the world around you bleed away again, once more replaced by a landscape of darkness. Among the blackness, tiny slivers of emerald light blink into existence, before once again pulling themselves together as a whole. The green sphere forms in the sky, small at first, before gradually gaining in size. Azure light sparks within the green orb, dancing about like lightning in a bottle. The orb then flashes with a blinding green light before plunging to the ground.
    Last edited by everan; 05-03-2016 at 02:01 PM.
    everan

trouble is a friend of mine

Finally caught up with Alisaire an her amulet. Here's what it had to say along with killing me.

As the amulet vibrates in response to your song, the world darkens around you, and even your voice seems distant and unimportant. What matters is the pain, which permeates every joint in your body, and the pressure of the shackles on your wrists. Every lashmark and bruise burns with a deep, dull ache, but the despair and hopelessness run more deeply than the ache. There is no information to cling to, no face in which to spit, no sword to grasp; there is only the dull red glow from the brazier, the choking smells of smoke and blood, the bars of the cell, and the shackles.

As your verse ends, color and light return to the world around you, and the stench of burning flesh fades.
    Roundtime: 15 sec.

The vibration of the amulet in response to your voice summons you back into the vision. You see the inside of a white silk tent, and a kneeling elven prisoner, bound and shackled. Two armor-clad skeletons wielding spears stand on either side. Blood courses down the Illistim man's cheek from a cut above his left eye, and a patchwork of welts, as well as burn-marks cover his bare torso.
    The man lifts his head and snarls, "Why do you mock me again? I know it is only a dream."
    "No," responds a harsh, rasping voice. "Take up the challenge, and I offer you freedom. All you must do is claim this and place it in my hand..."
    As your field of view shifts in the vision, you see an alabaster-skinned hand, so heavily scarred that it nearly appears deformed. The hand dips into a gleaming black ora bowl and withdraws a clear, spherical crystal. The rasping voice asks, "Do you accept my challenge, or shall I give you back to Morvule's servants?"
    Hope wars with fury upon the elf's face before he finally chooses. "I accept."
    The vision fades out with the end of the verse.
    Roundtime: 16 sec.

With the first notes of your loresong, the amulet responds almost eagerly by plunging you back into the vision. Beneath a tattered black pavilion, a pair of cringing pages are assisting the elven prisoner in donning heavy steel platemail. They look at him with mingled envy and hatred, and, as one of the pages steps forward to fit the helm to the man's head, the page takes the opportunity to spit in his face. In the next instant, the page doubles and falls, screaming, as a skeletal guard's spear disembowels him.
    The prisoner spares only a glance for the messily dying page before staring at a high iron gate. Beyond the gate, a makeshift arena may be seen, and only shadows are visible past the opposite gate. In the center of the arena stands a tall chalice, and a sickly green flame dances above the cup. Black streams of smoke curl from incense burners on each side of the chalice.
    The vision fades as your verse dies away.

Your mind's eye returns to the elven prisoner outside the arena, and you watch as a cloaked figure comes into view beyond the iron gate. Bloodstains mar the front of her tunic, and fresh scarlet flows freely from the razern bracelets about each wrist, which open new gashes with each of the figure's movements. The clear crystal sphere glimmers in her palm before she drops it into the chalice. She retreats again with slow, measured steps.
    The prisoner chooses a broadsword and a tower shield from a rack nearby, and the near gate swings open with a shrill cry of tortured metal. The opposite gate swings open as well, and a similarly armored combatant steps through that gate into the arena.
    Both prisoners turn their heads as a harsh voice cuts across the battlefield: "Hand me the crystal, and you will go free." As the prisoners move forward, shifting their attention warily between one another and the burning chalice, they do not seem to hear the rasping whisper that follows: "Lord Mularos, Thy Whip consecrates the ending of these lives to Thee."
    Roundtime: 14 sec.

As the amulet vibrates again in response to your song , you see the two armored prisoners come together with a great crash of blades and armor in the center of the makeshift arena. Sword crashes against sword, shield slams against shield, ground is lost and regained and lost again. They circle around the chalice, and the green flame flares as they approach, fading away again as they retreat. The tendrils of black incense coil and sway like snakes made of shadow.
    Suddenly, one of the combatants growls ferociously and flings himself at the other man. In a clatter of platemail, both go down, but one has the advantage and rises first. Wielding his heavy broadsword like a dagger, he brutally stabs down at his fallen opponent's face. The visor gives way, and the other man jerks horribly, flailing like a skewered cockroach before falling still.
    The vision fades from your mind as the man dies.
    Roundtime: 27 sec.

The image of the victorious prisoner returns to your mind. A grimace of self-hatred contorts his features as he throws down his sword and helm. He stalks to the burning chalice and shoves his gauntleted hand into its depths, but he comes up without the prize. He fishes around a second time, but, again, finds nothing. With a roar of fury, he turns, but a harsh voice cuts him off --
    "The crystal abhors the touch of metal. Only flesh can claim it."
    Desperation overrules apprehension. The prisoner casts aside his gauntlet, and, with only a brief moment of hesitation, reaches into the serpentine green flame, and past the flame down into the seething liquid in the chalice. Tears of agony shine in his eyes, and every tendon in his throat stretches tautly as he searches for the crystal. When he withdraws his hand this time, white blisters are rapidly forming all along his skin, but the transparent crystal sphere is nested within his curled fingers.
    "Bring the crystal to me. Place it in my hand, and I will let you go," the unseen woman says harshly. As the prisoner begins to walk, the vision fades.
    Your own hand is tingling slightly, though you notice nothing strange about it.
    Roundtime: 17 sec.

The amulet responds instantly to your voice, and the vibrations bring you the image of the cloaked woman facing the elven prisoner. Her pale grey eyes are narrowed with hunger as she stretches out her scarred alabaster hand. Blood runs from her razern-braceleted wrist down to her palm.
    The prisoner reaches out to drop the crystal into her palm -- but he cannot. His muscles bulge and strain, but his fingers only curl more tightly around the crystal. In desperation, he wrenches at the locked fingers of his right hand with his left, but wisps of steam begin to trail from beneath his left gauntlet cuff, and the rising blisters on his right hand pop and bubble like the surface of boiling water. As he screams in agony, matching blisters begin to form on his neck, and then the flesh of his face turns an angry, seared red hue.
    The bones of his right hand break through his skin and fuse together, just as the flesh begins to fall from his face in long, dark red strips. The woman does not move a muscle as he dies at her feet His screams fade into gargling, then into bubbling, then into silence, and finally his armored skeleton lies still in a mass of steaming carrion.
    As the last notes die in your throat, the fleeting image in your mind shows blood pooling in the woman's scar-ravaged hand, and the way in which her hungry eyes relax with satisfaction.

The amulet responds to your song with a vision of the scarred woman. She draws a loop of razern wire around the skeleton's fused hand and neatly removes it from the corpse. Through the gaps between the mutilated former fingerbones, the crystal sphere glows with an angry red hue.

"An interesting trophy, Whip." The voice is male, and, as the speaker comes into view, you see that he has slate grey eyes and braided white hair. "What do you plan to do with it?" A crimson vaalin symbol of Sheru hangs around his neck.

"If you wish it, it is yours," she answers immediately.

The Sheruvian priest laughs scornfully. "I have souls enough," he says, waving her back. "Keep this one."

"No -- it will be a present," the woman harshly says, "to one who has pleased me well -- one with whom you may be pleased, also."

The old man reaches out to touch the surface of the bone. With his touch, the angry red glow dies, and a ripple of blackness shivers across the surface of the blood red crystal. "A playmate for him," he says offhandedly, and turns to walk away.

The woman traces the line of one of the scars on her throat, leaving a trail of scarlet stains from her bloody palm. She bows her head, and, though she does not speak, her thoughts ring through your mind, just as harshly formed as her voice: "Lord Mularos, be pleased with this Suffering."

The vision slips away, leaving you with black spots dancing before your eyes and the taste of blood in your mouth.

The world wavers and fades around you. All forms slowly dissolve into an even, unrelenting haze, and all colors turn to red -- the shades range from the bright crimson of freshly spilled arterial blood to the near-black of old blood drifting on blue water. Your own voice fades away, and you can hear nothing at all but a soft clicking and scraping somewhere in the distance. In the instant you hear the sound, every sense attunes to it, and your heart races with terror. You sense that you are being watched, and you sense the simple, easy malevolence flowing from the being that made those sounds. Whatever it is, it hates you, just as it hates all things, but it lusts for you even as it hates you, for it wants you to be afraid. There is no doubt that it has achieved its goal. Waves of red pulse and flicker around you, and you strain your vision through the crimson void. Somewhere in the distance, you know that there waits a hint of true blackness, a single shadow cast within the sea of blood, and the fear of that shadow consumes your entire existence.

The rapid drumming of your heartbeat in your ears slowly returns you to your senses: light and sound come back, washing away the field of pervasive redness, and you remember who you are and what you are doing. Nevertheless, a deep apprehension remains with you, and you know that it would be unwise to coax further lore from this artifact.

As you begin to sing, you are plunged instantly back into the world of featureless crimson haze. From the depths of the darkness, a tendril of true blackness coalesces, but it fades again as quickly as it came in the instant that you try to focus upon it. The corner of your left eye catches another wisp of darkness, and you whip around in panic to stare at it, but the red haze consumes that tendril as well. The sounds of scuttling and scraping fill your ears, but you cannot pinpoint a direction -- the noise comes from all sides, and it draws closer by the second. You cannot move, or even sense your own body, though your heartbeat thunders frantically through your temples.

Suddenly, a tendril of blackness materializes out of nowhere and whips across your eyes. The agony is unbelievable, with the heat of drakar and the icy cold of rhimar rolled into one to destroy your vision. In the moment of perfect anguish, the heartbeat pounding in your ears stops.

And that's when I died, funny how no death message was sent out to the lands though.
    Semper superne nitens.

Quote Originally Posted by Seizer View Post
    Finally caught up with Alisaire an her amulet. Here's what it had to say along with killing me.

As the amulet vibrates in response to your song, the world darkens around you, and even your voice seems distant and unimportant. What matters is the pain, which permeates every joint in your body, and the pressure of the shackles on your wrists. Every lashmark and bruise burns with a deep, dull ache, but the despair and hopelessness run more deeply than the ache. There is no information to cling to, no face in which to spit, no sword to grasp; there is only the dull red glow from the brazier, the choking smells of smoke and blood, the bars of the cell, and the shackles.

As your verse ends, color and light return to the world around you, and the stench of burning flesh fades.

The vibration of the amulet in response to your voice summons you back into the vision. You see the inside of a white silk tent, and a kneeling elven prisoner, bound and shackled. Two armor-clad skeletons wielding spears stand on either side. Blood courses down the Illistim man's cheek from a cut above his left eye, and a patchwork of welts, as well as burn-marks cover his bare torso.
    The man lifts his head and snarls, "Why do you mock me again? I know it is only a dream."
    "No," responds a harsh, rasping voice. "Take up the challenge, and I offer you freedom. All you must do is claim this and place it in my hand..."
    As your field of view shifts in the vision, you see an alabaster-skinned hand, so heavily scarred that it nearly appears deformed. The hand dips into a gleaming black ora bowl and withdraws a clear, spherical crystal. The rasping voice asks, "Do you accept my challenge, or shall I give you back to Morvule's servants?"
    Hope wars with fury upon the elf's face before he finally chooses. "I accept."
    The vision fades out with the end of the verse.
    Roundtime: 16 sec.

With the first notes of your loresong, the amulet responds almost eagerly by plunging you back into the vision. Beneath a tattered black pavilion, a pair of cringing pages are assisting the elven prisoner in donning heavy steel platemail. They look at him with mingled envy and hatred, and, as one of the pages steps forward to fit the helm to the man's head, the page takes the opportunity to spit in his face. In the next instant, the page doubles and falls, screaming, as a skeletal guard's spear disembowels him.
    The prisoner spares only a glance for the messily dying page before staring at a high iron gate. Beyond the gate, a makeshift arena may be seen, and only shadows are visible past the opposite gate. In the center of the arena stands a tall chalice, and a sickly green flame dances above the cup. Black streams of smoke curl from incense burners on each side of the chalice.
    The vision fades as your verse dies away.

Your mind's eye returns to the elven prisoner outside the arena, and you watch as a cloaked figure comes into view beyond the iron gate. Bloodstains mar the front of her tunic, and fresh scarlet flows freely from the razern bracelets about each wrist, which open new gashes with each of the figure's movements. The clear crystal sphere glimmers in her palm before she drops it into the chalice. She retreats again with slow, measured steps.
    The prisoner chooses a broadsword and a tower shield from a rack nearby, and the near gate swings open with a shrill cry of tortured metal. The opposite gate swings open as well, and a similarly armored combatant steps through that gate into the arena.
    Both prisoners turn their heads as a harsh voice cuts across the battlefield: "Hand me the crystal, and you will go free." As the prisoners move forward, shifting their attention warily between one another and the burning chalice, they do not seem to hear the rasping whisper that follows: "Lord Mularos, Thy Whip consecrates the ending of these lives to Thee."

As the amulet vibrates again in response to your song , you see the two armored prisoners come together with a great crash of blades and armor in the center of the makeshift arena. Sword crashes against sword, shield slams against shield, ground is lost and regained and lost again. They circle around the chalice, and the green flame flares as they approach, fading away again as they retreat. The tendrils of black incense coil and sway like snakes made of shadow.
    Suddenly, one of the combatants growls ferociously and flings himself at the other man. In a clatter of platemail, both go down, but one has the advantage and rises first. Wielding his heavy broadsword like a dagger, he brutally stabs down at his fallen opponent's face. The visor gives way, and the other man jerks horribly, flailing like a skewered cockroach before falling still.
    The vision fades from your mind as the man dies.
    Roundtime: 27 sec.

The image of the victorious prisoner returns to your mind. A grimace of self-hatred contorts his features as he throws down his sword and helm. He stalks to the burning chalice and shoves his gauntleted hand into its depths, but he comes up without the prize. He fishes around a second time, but, again, finds nothing. With a roar of fury, he turns, but a harsh voice cuts him off --
    "The crystal abhors the touch of metal. Only flesh can claim it."
    Desperation overrules apprehension. The prisoner casts aside his gauntlet, and, with only a brief moment of hesitation, reaches into the serpentine green flame, and past the flame down into the seething liquid in the chalice. Tears of agony shine in his eyes, and every tendon in his throat stretches tautly as he searches for the crystal. When he withdraws his hand this time, white blisters are rapidly forming all along his skin, but the transparent crystal sphere is nested within his curled fingers.
    "Bring the crystal to me. Place it in my hand, and I will let you go," the unseen woman says harshly. As the prisoner begins to walk, the vision fades.
    Your own hand is tingling slightly, though you notice nothing strange about it.

The amulet responds instantly to your voice, and the vibrations bring you the image of the cloaked woman facing the elven prisoner. Her pale grey eyes are narrowed with hunger as she stretches out her scarred alabaster hand. Blood runs from her razern-braceleted wrist down to her palm.
    The prisoner reaches out to drop the crystal into her palm -- but he cannot. His muscles bulge and strain, but his fingers only curl more tightly around the crystal. In desperation, he wrenches at the locked fingers of his right hand with his left, but wisps of steam begin to trail from beneath his left gauntlet cuff, and the rising blisters on his right hand pop and bubble like the surface of boiling water. As he screams in agony, matching blisters begin to form on his neck, and then the flesh of his face turns an angry, seared red hue.
    The bones of his right hand break through his skin and fuse together, just as the flesh begins to fall from his face in long, dark red strips. The woman does not move a muscle as he dies at her feet His screams fade into gargling, then into bubbling, then into silence, and finally his armored skeleton lies still in a mass of steaming carrion.
    As the last notes die in your throat, the fleeting image in your mind shows blood pooling in the woman's scar-ravaged hand, and the way in which her hungry eyes relax with satisfaction.

The amulet responds to your song with a vision of the scarred woman. She draws a loop of razern wire around the skeleton's fused hand and neatly removes it from the corpse. Through the gaps between the mutilated former fingerbones, the crystal sphere glows with an angry red hue.

"An interesting trophy, Whip." The voice is male, and, as the speaker comes into view, you see that he has slate grey eyes and braided white hair. "What do you plan to do with it?" A crimson vaalin symbol of Sheru hangs around his neck.

"If you wish it, it is yours," she answers immediately.

The Sheruvian priest laughs scornfully. "I have souls enough," he says, waving her back. "Keep this one."

"No -- it will be a present," the woman harshly says, "to one who has pleased me well -- one with whom you may be pleased, also."

The old man reaches out to touch the surface of the bone. With his touch, the angry red glow dies, and a ripple of blackness shivers across the surface of the blood red crystal. "A playmate for him," he says offhandedly, and turns to walk away.

The woman traces the line of one of the scars on her throat, leaving a trail of scarlet stains from her bloody palm. She bows her head, and, though she does not speak, her thoughts ring through your mind, just as harshly formed as her voice: "Lord Mularos, be pleased with this Suffering."

The vision slips away, leaving you with black spots dancing before your eyes and the taste of blood in your mouth.

The world wavers and fades around you. All forms slowly dissolve into an even, unrelenting haze, and all colors turn to red -- the shades range from the bright crimson of freshly spilled arterial blood to the near-black of old blood drifting on blue water. Your own voice fades away, and you can hear nothing at all but a soft clicking and scraping somewhere in the distance. In the instant you hear the sound, every sense attunes to it, and your heart races with terror. You sense that you are being watched, and you sense the simple, easy malevolence flowing from the being that made those sounds. Whatever it is, it hates you, just as it hates all things, but it lusts for you even as it hates you, for it wants you to be afraid. There is no doubt that it has achieved its goal. Waves of red pulse and flicker around you, and you strain your vision through the crimson void. Somewhere in the distance, you know that there waits a hint of true blackness, a single shadow cast within the sea of blood, and the fear of that shadow consumes your entire existence.

The rapid drumming of your heartbeat in your ears slowly returns you to your senses: light and sound come back, washing away the field of pervasive redness, and you remember who you are and what you are doing. Nevertheless, a deep apprehension remains with you, and you know that it would be unwise to coax further lore from this artifact.

As you begin to sing, you are plunged instantly back into the world of featureless crimson haze. From the depths of the darkness, a tendril of true blackness coalesces, but it fades again as quickly as it came in the instant that you try to focus upon it. The corner of your left eye catches another wisp of darkness, and you whip around in panic to stare at it, but the red haze consumes that tendril as well. The sounds of scuttling and scraping fill your ears, but you cannot pinpoint a direction -- the noise comes from all sides, and it draws closer by the second. You cannot move, or even sense your own body, though your heartbeat thunders frantically through your temples.

Suddenly, a tendril of blackness materializes out of nowhere and whips across your eyes. The agony is unbelievable, with the heat of drakar and the icy cold of rhimar rolled into one to destroy your vision. In the moment of perfect anguish, the heartbeat pounding in your ears stops.

And that's when I died, funny how no death message was sent out to the lands though.
    Wow. What amulet is this?