Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Chemical Attack in Syria

Default Chemical Attack in Syria

The White House
    Office of the Press Secretary
    For Immediate Release April 04, 2017
    Statement from President Donald J. Trump

Today’s chemical attack in Syria against innocent people, including women and children, is reprehensible and cannot be ignored by the civilized world. These heinous actions by the Bashar al-Assad regime are a consequence of the past administration’s weakness and irresolution. President Obama said in 2012 that he would establish a “red line” against the use of chemical weapons and then did nothing. The United States stands with our allies across the globe to condemn this intolerable attack.

More...

Oh my.
    There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.

Trump had to act quickly to head off blame. In the last few days, White House officials have indicated that they are okay with Assad staying in power. Certain People were already beginning to point fingers at the White House as signaling to Assad that he could do what he wanted.

ISTANBUL, Turkey—Days ago, in Ankara, U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson signaled that the U.S. had no quarrel with Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad, a man Tillerson’s predecessor compared to Adolf Hitler after he slaughtered more than 1,000 people with poison gas in 2013.

The “longer-term status of President Assad,” Tillerson said, “will be decided by the Syrian people,” a euphemism used by Damascus, Moscow, and Tehran to indicate that he isn’t going anywhere.

White House press secretary Sean Spicer used almost identical language the next day, saying, “Well, I think with respect to Assad, there is a political reality that we have to accept in terms of where we are right now.”

More...

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info, Fallen.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

So who did it? Russia? Syria? Iran? All three?

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    So who did it? Russia? Syria? Iran? All three?
    You forgot Turkey.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeR View Post
    Trump had to act quickly to head off blame. In the last few days, White House officials have indicated that they are okay with Assad staying in power. Certain People were already beginning to point fingers at the White House as signaling to Assad that he could do what he wanted.
    I'm not sure if it's them being okay with Assad staying in power rather there really not being any other option available.

Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    You forgot Turkey.
    I guess. Or Israel. Or Scotland. Or Ecuador.

But ask yourself... should our country be allied with the country who did it?

8. Default

I don't think there is a viable option to him not being in power outside of an escalation of the current proxy war into a war war... Which we probably cannot do short of if not inciting WW3, getting right up to the brink.

That's a little bit of playing politics with the reality of the world, that being stated Trump did a Trump and invoked the Obama admin immediately.

It would have given them a lot more credibility just to state the realities of the situation. None of his base is disagreeing either way, but it does seem to possibly be shrinking?

Yeah. Trump blames Obama. Who didn't see that coming. GG Trump team.

10. Default

To be fair Obama spent a decent amount of his first term blaming Bush