Thread: Beginning wizard training question

Default Beginning wizard training question

Hello all,

Long time player, first time poster. Just now learning all the math that goes into the game. Following Whirlin's guide and another beginning wizard creation guide. Both of these guides cite that spell research should cost 0/8 in Wiz, MnE, and MjE, however during my training they have all cost 0/16. Anyone able to help me with why this might be?

Also I'm open to any suggestions on how to further train as I progress towards 20.

Skill Name | Current Current
    | Bonus Ranks
    Armor Use..........................| 15 3
    Physical Fitness...................| 30 6
    Arcane Symbols.....................| 30 6
    Magic Item Use.....................| 30 6
    Spell Aiming.......................| 58 12
    Harness Power......................| 58 12
    Elemental Mana Control.............| 30 6
    Elemental Lore - Air...............| 15 3
    Elemental Lore - Earth.............| 10 2
    Elemental Lore - Fire..............| 5 1
    Elemental Lore - Water.............| 5 1
    Perception.........................| 30 6
    Climbing...........................| 15 3
    Swimming...........................| 15 3

Spell Lists
    Major Elemental....................| 6

Spell Lists
    Minor Elemental....................| 2

Spell Lists
    Wizard.............................| 6

Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
    Strength (STR): 51 (0) ... 51 (0)
    Constitution (CON): 51 (-5) ... 51 (-5)
    Dexterity (DEX): 77 (23) ... 77 (23)
    Agility (AGI): 66 (13) ... 66 (13)
    Discipline (DIS): 71 (0) ... 71 (0)
    Aura (AUR): 96 (33) ... 96 (33)
    Logic (LOG): 96 (23) ... 96 (23)
    Intuition (INT): 57 (8) ... 57 (8)
    Wisdom (WIS): 52 (6) ... 52 (6)
    Influence (INF): 57 (-2) ... 57 (-2)
    Mana: 38 Silver: 347

Blog Entries

It's 8 MTP for 1x, 16 MTP for 2x, 24 MTP total.
    Last edited by Taernath; 07-17-2017 at 08:25 PM.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

No, definitely listed as 0/16 from a mental training standpoint.

Spell Research (21)
    33) 6 0/16 Major Elemental
    34) 2 0/16 Minor Elemental
    35) 6 0/16 Wizard Base

Currently level 5.

Quote Originally Posted by luxut View Post
    Both of these guides cite that spell research should cost 0/8 in Wiz, MnE, and MjE, however during my training they have all cost 0/16. Anyone able to help me with why this might be?
    Any rank up to 1x per level should cost 0/8. Any rank beyond 1x/level up to 2x/level should cost 0/16. At level 6, you're already at 14 spells, so it'll continue to cost that.

So at my level 6 train, if I do not train any further in MjE or Wiz, and only train in MnE, should that only cost me 0/8 for each?

Is this a wise idea to stay one ahead of level due to the added cost?

Blog Entries

You're going to want to be 2x'ed in spells, at least.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Quote Originally Posted by luxut View Post
    So at my level 6 train, if I do not train any further in MjE or Wiz, and only train in MnE, should that only cost me 0/8 for each?

Is this a wise idea to stay one ahead of level due to the added cost?
    Only training 1x per level up to your age (plus like an additional 2 ranks for level 0) will net you 0/8. If your plan is to be a warmage and swing a weapon your whole life, which I really don't have much experience in, then your training points may dictate that you're only able to 1x in spells.
    If your long term plan is to be a pure though, then you will definitely want to 2x spell research. Eventually you're going to get to a point where you're converting physical training points to mental training points. At level 41, my wizard has converted 876 total physical training points into mental training points. When I level up now, I have 0 mental training points and about 375 to 415 physical training points. That's just where the natural progression of being a pure leads you with TP's. I have followed Whirlin's guide almost exactly. But FYI, I swung a weapon up until about level 25/27 until I had enough mana to hunt steel golems using 901 and get fried just from doing that. At that point, you would probably use a fixskill to drop your weapon training and focus solely on magical training.

My experience with Wizard... don't even bother looking at lores until around level 25, it wasn't able to squeeze into the training plan.

As a wizard, a LOT of your DS comes from your spells, and it gets more potent as you level. Just doing MnE gets you nice DS, but MjE gets you DS from Ward and Thurfels, and Wiz gets you defense from Prismatic, although it's the least beneficial.

My understanding is that the combat formulas are really designed that you need 2x in spells to really last.

If you need to free up points I'd consider two courses of action.

1. Drop the lores down. As some other folks have mentioned, you'll have more points for lores as you get up there in training (as your stats grow you will have more points to spend). Your character doesn't appear to be built for stat growth, so it may not be a ton. But it will grow. If you do want to do lores (I 1x on my lower level wizard) I'd recommend focusing on one specific lore to start. Most of the major benefits come at major thresholds (e.g. 20 ranks of fire gives you access to steam bolt), so focusing on one lore at a time will help you hit desired effects more quickly.

2. You can consider dropping harness power down to 1x. It's expensive at 2x and only provides you marginal benefit. Every rank equal to your level adds 3 mana. Every rank over your level only adds 1 mana per point spent. Most folks find the added benefit isn't worth the extra points required. Another thing you can do is 2x while you're lower level in order to get a reasonable mana pool for hunting, and then stop training in it all together until it eventually drops back down to 1x. That's how I did it on my higher level Empath.

Also confused on what level you are. It appears you're 6 based on the spells you have, but if you're 6 you shouldn't be at...for example...12 ranks of spell aim. You should be at 14 or 16 counting training for level 0 and training for the current level. If you're 5 I'm wondering why you have 6 ranks of two schools at 6 ranks since you can't use them anyhow.

An easy-mode quick start guide:

1. Be a UAC warmage until level 19ish.
    2. Join Voln (you can have permablessed 0x gloves/boots when you hit rank 8 in Voln)
    3. Get 10 ranks in Air Lore by level 10, and now you can kick in 1s RT
    4. Farm undead to master Voln and level up
    5. Switch to pure at level 19-20 - by then you'll have mastered Voln and have symbol of mana.

2.5-3x in Spells, 2x in Spell Aiming, 1x PT/AS/MIU/EMC/HP/Lores, Decide how much Climb/Swim/Perception you need for your hunting areas (.5x is the default standard, but early on it isn't super useful unless you hunt in IMT or RR - 1x in perception if TPs allow, this is easy to pick up later).

You only need 4 ranks in Armor Use to wear full leather with no hindrance.