Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A I the only real new player in Gemstone?

1. Default

I'd add that the GS Wiki is very good. It's been a great help to me since returning from a decade-long break (hello to anyone who might've known Loxik). Check it out: https://gswiki.play.net/Main_Page

Wow, who knew this thread will go to 2nd page real fast! Guess people now know who Hlendril is. Well anyway is using Lich easy? Does my sistem think it might cause a virus? Also how do you guys promote Gemstone to anyone? I heard that Tolarian video was good. Is anyone here planing to be a YouTube or twitch streamer? Thanks for the replies!
    Last edited by Hlendril; 11-08-2017 at 02:26 PM.

Whirlin has a few youtube videos on GS4.

https://www.youtube.com/user/LordWhirlin

Also, Lich is very useful for when you die and need a rescue. Can pretty much avoid decaying which comes with death string (slow xp absorption).

Before level 10, there's no penalty for dying. So you can depart right away and there's no ill effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Hlendril View Post
    Hello! This is my first post n this ancient Forum! As I noticed, this placed seemed smaller and older than the other forums I post in such as Maidens of the Kaleidoscope. I just discovered GDIV in like a month ago and I a pretty impressed `bout it! I never knew a game about words on a black box had me more interested than most Triple A titles. I came to Gemstone as a refuge and a curious guy. See, I like old things, old games, old books, old people and old knowledge. I wanna buy a full suit of armor one day even though there is no point to it and a person with more money would rather buy a Mansion or a Ferrari. But here I am, playing a game that is twice as old as me even though there is Runescepe, World of Warcraft or whatever. I came here from a video from Tolarian Community College.

Video in question: http://nazr.in/10pw

So that is how I discovered Gemstone. Now, since mid-September a clueless, Red-haired, Grey-Eyed Human Warrior named Hlendril is running around with no I dea what to do. Even goin` around in Silverwood for questions does not give much answers due to the complexity of this game. Now, I ask this question if I am the only one new here. Most likely its going to be a returning player who played Gemstone IV when Daria Morgendorffer was still a thing (God, those were the good days) and was born in the 80s, late 70s. So really, I a walking among giants. I am with people who played this game straight for 25-30 years straight and some people who returned after 15 or 20 years of absence. AM I the only new guy here? Should I be intimidated? Hec, I`m a F2P for crying out loud and I`ll be that way `till I graduate College and find a decent job. So what do ye veterans have to suggest and say?

Anyway, it is an Honor being part of such a old community that has stood the test of time. I hope it gets bigger and better!
    1. Get Lich
    2. Don't forget 1
    3. Remember 2
    4. Consider upgrading to a basic subscription, the $15/mo one. The limits on F2P will prevent you from being able to access a lot of things that make this game what it is.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

If you switch from F2P to subscription, you can't go back to F2P with that character - just a heads up. But I agree with Methais, $15 subscription is the best way to go.

Welcome, you'll surely have your hands full, my advice

1... What's wrong with your "A" key, you'll likely need it as a warrior to type attack
    2. For someone in college your paragraphs read like the person that wants to send me a million dollars from India. I'd work on that too to play a text game.

all teasing aside on those notes, I really hope you enjoy it and I feel like a warrior is a good starting class

Well I am sorry for the crude words my keyboard sucks and I am typing all this in my cellphone. That being said, is it really true it takes 3-5 years to level to 100? Even as a subscriber? Does that time also take into consideration the Gift of Lumnis that happens every week? Man, I gotta subscribe. We really need to work on advertising and promoting the game too.
    Last edited by Hlendril; 11-08-2017 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hlendril View Post
    Well I am sorry for the crude words my keyboard sucks and I am typing all this in my cellphone. That being said, is it really true it takes 3-5 years to level to 100? Even as a subscriber? Does that time also take into consideration the Gift of Lumnis that happens every week? Man, I gotta subscribe. We really need to work on advertising and promoting the game too.
    Depends how often you play. 1k to 2k experience per hour is pretty standard for someone hunting/rest to clear/hunting/etc. It's about 7.5 mil experience to reach level 100 so that's between 7500 hours and 3750 hours. If you play for 2 hours a day, even at 2k experience an hour, that's about 5 years. 4 hours a day and it's a mere 2.5 years.

This doesn't include Lumnis or RPAs so it could be a bit faster.

Blog Entries

Before anyone asks... it's not another Insplre/Macgyver/Necro alt... legit new player.

>forage for snapdragon stalk
    d100(Open): -251
    You stumble about in a fruitless attempt at foraging.

1/6/2014: Setheve completes the promotion ritual and says, "Congratulations, Whirlin, for achieving Guild Master status! We trust you'll serve your guild well."
    1/11/2014: Grandmaster Alchemist
    1/14/2014: Capped, and got Loralaii killed by a GM.
    7/11/2016: Founded the Hand of the Arkati
    9/20/2016: T5 on my bow (Thanks to Isola)... Managed as far as T4 myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    Depends how often you play. 1k to 2k experience per hour is pretty standard for someone hunting/rest to clear/hunting/etc. It's about 7.5 mil experience to reach level 100 so that's between 7500 hours and 3750 hours. If you play for 2 hours a day, even at 2k experience an hour, that's about 5 years. 4 hours a day and it's a mere 2.5 years.

This doesn't include Lumnis or RPAs so it could be a bit faster.
    Well thanks for the information! I really thought it would take such a long time as stated by Whirling. I suppose the greatest hinderance to leveling up is me because I want to Roleplay. Also I often skip Adventurer's guild tasks that involve Gems and Skinning animals because I am not too good at them.

One thing I also noticed is why is GS more active at night than day? Are MUDs something people usually play at night?