Page 18 of 111 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: Wyrom Announcement:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SonoftheNorth View Post
    That breaks the code of conduct? I didn't see anything about imitating other users in it but you should probably add that in.
    Agreed. The TOS was quite literally a lift-drop on the one of the first google responses. We're not looking to moderate posts, but more step in when things get out of hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by drauz View Post
    Now if only they could separate sections with a line. Futuristic stuff, I know!
    Agreed. This was one UI that we selected called Sleek. Based on your input... I think you posted about 10 times with similar UI statements, we're looking at additional alternative UIs and defaults that may better fit your needs. It's super easy for us to spin up in the back end. Thank you for your commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortybox View Post
    Why should they be banned?
    Also, are the allegations true? Are you Inspire?
    He is not inspire

Quote Originally Posted by subzero View Post
    They'll never be able to ban someone that wants to be a pain. Best they can do is try to determine if an account is being made by a troublemaker and deny access (meaning registration needs admin approval) manually. Good luck with that.
    This is absolutely true, however, I think you're greatly overestimating powers that moderator grants on this forum. The extent of any power I have on these forums is isolated to banning, temporary and permanent and lifting of bans on an individual useraccount basis. I have not once been able to implement an IP, MAC address, or any other type of ban in my current capacity on these forums. Furthermore, most fundamentally, there's no mechanisms for e-mail authentication for new accounts prior to posting. While I do like the bot capturing question of the company who created Gemstone, it's not enough to deter a malicious person. The intent is to make it easier for admins to identify and take action than it is for someone to change all the necessary settings to create a new account if they have been removed as being a troublemaker.

>forage for snapdragon stalk
    d100(Open): -251
    You stumble about in a fruitless attempt at foraging.

1/6/2014: Setheve completes the promotion ritual and says, "Congratulations, Whirlin, for achieving Guild Master status! We trust you'll serve your guild well."
    1/11/2014: Grandmaster Alchemist
    1/14/2014: Capped, and got Loralaii killed by a GM.
    7/11/2016: Founded the Hand of the Arkati
    9/20/2016: T5 on my bow (Thanks to Isola)... Managed as far as T4 myself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hello View Post
    Vouching method is probably best. Have a moderator on this forum meet with your character and make sure he/she can hold at least ora. The time it takes to level an f2p to 10 will deter a shit ton of alts and people not making serious accounts.
    Ora is level 5 you fucking non-playing fuck.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlin View Post
    Agreed. This was one UI that we selected called Sleek. Based on your input... I think you posted about 10 times with similar UI statements, we're looking at additional alternative UIs and defaults that may better fit your needs. It's super easy for us to spin up in the back end. Thank you for your commentary.
    Repetition is the best way to get your point across and make it stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlin View Post
    This is absolutely true, however, I think you're greatly overestimating powers that moderator grants on this forum. The extent of any power I have on these forums is isolated to banning, temporary and permanent and lifting of bans on an individual useraccount basis. I have not once been able to implement an IP, MAC address, or any other type of ban in my current capacity on these forums.
    I'm not talking about these forums. I've run forums before, though, so I have a general idea of who can do what. I say general because permissions can, to some extent, be changed by the admin depending on the software.

Furthermore, most fundamentally, there's no mechanisms for e-mail authentication for new accounts prior to posting. While I do like the bot capturing question of the company who created Gemstone, it's not enough to deter a malicious person. The intent is to make it easier for admins to identify and take action than it is for someone to change all the necessary settings to create a new account if they have been removed as being a troublemaker.
    E-mail isn't much of a deterrent either. I guess if the person is really stupid about it they'll be easier to spot (they aren't always bright, trust me). MAC spoofing may be more effort than most are willing to deal with if you try that route.

It seems that some people are under the impression that bans are a simple, easy solution to troublemakers and that simply isn't true. At the end of the day, a dedicated pain in the ass will always find a way through and will still need to be zapped once he outs himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Candor View Post
    One of the reasons people are moving to the other board is to get away from the immature idiots around here. It's not that they need to go crying to a safe space - it's just that this sort of crap gets really old after awhile.
    Let's just call a spade a spade here..

The people who are currently moaning about safe spaces aren't the people who're leaving and trying out the new forum. PC is the safe space for people like Wrath, PB, Forty, Neveragain, etc. It's this place where they can say those things that are in their ugly minds that they're too afraid to say in real life. It's the one place where they don't feel like they're the socially unacceptable minority- which is why they police this place with the desperation and toolkit of a teenage cyber bully.

They need this place.

So all of this talk about safe space is really about them being terrified everyone will leave, and that they'll lose theirs.
    Last edited by time4fun; 08-08-2017 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post

The people who are currently moaning about safe spaces aren't the people who're leaving and trying out the new forum. PC is the safe space for people like Wrath, PB, Forty, Neveragain, etc. It's this place where they can say those things that are in their ugly minds that they're too afraid to say in real life. It's the one place where they don't feel like they're the socially unacceptable minority- which is why they police this place with the desperation and toolkit of a teenage cyber bully.

They need this place.

So all of this talk about safe space is really about them being terrified everyone will leave, and that they'll lose theirs.
    So the people saying things you don't want to hear are the ones who need a safe space? Now I really have heard it all.

Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post

They need this place.

Who has "left" here? I imagine most of you aren't going to stop coming over here any more than you'd stop looking at a car wreck because you don't like to see blood, injury, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    So the people saying things you don't want to hear are the ones who need a safe space? Now I really have heard it all.
    Yeah, you're safe from teh mods!
    Last edited by subzero; 08-08-2017 at 09:46 AM.

Blog Entries

I'm not talking about these forums. I've run forums before, though, so I have a general idea of who can do what. I say general because permissions can, to some extent, be changed by the admin depending on the software.
    Agreed. None of which are permissions that anyone outside of Kranar has at the moment!

E-mail isn't much of a deterrent either. I guess if the person is really stupid about it they'll be easier to spot (they aren't always bright, trust me). MAC spoofing may be more effort than most are willing to deal with if you try that route.

It seems that some people are under the impression that bans are a simple, easy solution to troublemakers and that simply isn't true. At the end of the day, a dedicated pain in the ass will always find a way through and will still need to be zapped once he outs himself.
    Absolutely agree. At this point, it's a matter of tools in a toolbox to help do a job in a more complete. I would consider what I have to be a bandaid to fix a shotgun shot to a boat in the middle of an ocean with a bunch of people saying the water level isn't rising! While I agree that you will never be able to get the hull back to 100%, you may be able to safely make it to land with all of the various tools available to you.

>forage for snapdragon stalk
    d100(Open): -251
    You stumble about in a fruitless attempt at foraging.

1/6/2014: Setheve completes the promotion ritual and says, "Congratulations, Whirlin, for achieving Guild Master status! We trust you'll serve your guild well."
    1/11/2014: Grandmaster Alchemist
    1/14/2014: Capped, and got Loralaii killed by a GM.
    7/11/2016: Founded the Hand of the Arkati
    9/20/2016: T5 on my bow (Thanks to Isola)... Managed as far as T4 myself.

Quote Originally Posted by peam View Post
    I put in a request via Discord for Wyrom to confirm. It's not BS.
    I'm pretty confused by the choice. I figured he came to the PC because of how much traffic it gets in GS circles. It still seems to fit for those goals.

At any rate, now I'll have three forums to check for GS stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Menos View Post
    I'm pretty confused by the choice. I figured he came to the PC because of how much traffic it gets in GS circles. It still seems to fit for those goals.
    Wyrom's goal seems to either be have everyone here move to the new forum where everyone can be moderated like they are on the officials, or he just wants a safe space to communicate with the players and the people on that forum (like SashaFierce has been doing so far) will relay the information over here.

So either way the information gets fed back to here for people who don't visit either the officials or the new forums.