Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Possibly returning

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GSIV Rogue View Post
    Congrats on capping your sorc! What's your character's name?

Is there anyone out there who's been able to cap a character only playing during GSIV in this way? (basic $14.95 account, no other cash spent on game, etc.)
    Methais claims to have only ever had a basic account.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    Methais claims to have only ever had a basic account.
    I didn't know you could have a house with a basic account.

Anyone who has been able to cap a character in GSIV? The entire 0-100 in GSIV - $14.95 a month only. On their own merits. Even if you and a buddy shared accounts - as long as you personally didn't spend more than the basic subscription on your account, you owned the character the entire time - and the character was rolled up in GSIV. Really curious if anyone has actually done this.

Anyone who has been able to cap a character in GSIV? The entire 0-100 in GSIV - $14.95 a month only. On their own merits. Even if you and a buddy shared accounts - as long as you personally didn't spend more than the basic subscription on your account, you owned the character the entire time - and the character was rolled up in GSIV. Really curious if anyone has actually done this.
    Short of some older players playing their original characters on AOL dial up, the majority of players probably capped on basic accounts. I don’t understand why Premium would affect you being able to cap?
    Last edited by Fierna; 10-07-2019 at 09:37 PM.

Blog Entries

He has a private property, not a premium property. You don't need a premium for that.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Fierna View Post
    Short of some older players playing their original characters on AOL dial up, the majority of players probably capped on basic accounts. I don’t understand why Premium would affect you being able to cap?
    I'm just very interested to meet anyone who has played a basic account in GSIV from level 0-100 and never spent more than the subscription amount on the game for any reason. A player who has a character that was rolled up and created from the time Gemstone IV went live only - and played from level 0-100 by one person who never spent more than $14.95 a month for any reason - and had no outside help of any kind other than what they were able to get out of the game on that character.

Premium in GSIV has a very large effect on treasure drop - among many other "perks" that make the game quite a bit easier and more convenient.

I'm not saying that it isn't possible, but it is quite challenging - I am currently attempting it. I've seen it stated by many people how easy this is, but I haven't met or heard from a single person who has done it.
    Last edited by GSIV Rogue; 10-07-2019 at 10:58 PM.

I've boycotted all pay services since I first played GS, so I went zero to well beyond cap on nothing but a basic sub. Post cap I did get alt accounts though, that are basic subs. I will never go premie for the same reason I boycott pay events. I did accidentally go premie for a short bit when I returned 8 months ago, because I didn't realize it was part of the promo - got screwed big time on that because I didn't avail myself of anything, because I didn't even know I was premie. I cancelled it the moment I noticed, and spent my points on the premie titles. So yeah, I won't count that as premie.

In fact, I got all the way to cap with 4x gear. (Plus my character was always more disadvantaged than many, since he was a brawler and there was no UAC yet.).

But then again, I always cared more about RP, the Rogue Guild, and CvC, to worry too much about gear. The bulk of my money went toward alters and such for my character's image (which is one big reason I like this game.).

PvE combat in GS has always been a joke to me. It was always just a means to an end. I mean, not that I don't care about PvE balance, but ultimately it's one of the worst parts of the game for me, so it has absolutely nothing to do with what draws me to the game. Whatever PvE challenges I had, were more like inconveniences than actual challenges. What about PvE actually requires any skill whatsoever to be good at?
    Last edited by Mobius1; 10-07-2019 at 11:24 PM.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius1 View Post
    PvE combat in GS has always been a joke to me. It was always just a means to an end. I mean, not that I don't care about PvE balance, but ultimately it's one of the worst parts of the game for me, so it has absolutely nothing to do with what draws me to the game. Whatever PvE challenges I had, were more like inconveniences than actual challenges. What about PvE actually requires any skill whatsoever to be good at?
    The parts of the game that make people feel the need to buy alts, gear, spell-ups from level 100 armies, subscribe to premium, etc.

Or do those people just like spending extra money to have their character be as invulnerable as possible to PvE for role-playing reasons - since the game is so easy?

Blog Entries

I'm just very interested to meet anyone who has played a basic account in GSIV from level 0-100 and never spent more than the subscription amount on the game for any reason. A player who has a character that was rolled up and created from the time Gemstone IV went live only - and played from level 0-100 by one person who never spent more than $14.95 a month for any reason - and had no outside help of any kind other than what they were able to get out of the game on that character.

Premium in GSIV has a very large effect on treasure drop - among many other "perks" that make the game quite a bit easier and more convenient.

I'm not saying that it isn't possible, but it is quite challenging - I am currently attempting it. I've seen it stated by many people how easy this is, but I haven't met or heard from a single person who has done it.
    The vast majority of my leveling was done on a basic sub. The only reason I ever went premium was for a home and they pretty much suck.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

The parts of the game that make people feel the need to buy alts, gear, spell-ups from level 100 armies, subscribe to premium, etc.

Or do those people just like spending extra money to have their character be as invulnerable as possible to PvE for role-playing reasons - since the game is so easy?
    Yes, that is correct.

Gemstone's idea of "difficult" combat, is more about throwing in cheesy deaths, than really testing your skill in any meaningful way.

But if you really get down to it, dying in GS is also pretty inconsequential, so even if your cheapo gear results in more deaths, what are you really losing? Time? Most people probably spend more time earning money for their good gear, than someone in cheapo gear spends in death downtime.

What I also find funny, is it seems like the majority of people that I talk to that are looking for a "challenging" PvE experience, are some of the best geared characters.

But hell, take all I am saying worth a grain of salt. If you enjoy the PvE experience, more power to you. What keeps me here is the ability to create a unique character like nowhere else, and roleplay them.

I capped 4 characters basics

with my path to cap and just wizard spells, It's damn easy.

You focuse only on one thing: exp
    Last edited by Murrandii; 10-08-2019 at 10:13 AM.
    Ardwen the submitive: [LNet]-GSIV:Ardwen: "not like I was given a choice to opt out of bro mode, bro"