Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Long Reads

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tisket View Post
    What does length have to do with enjoying a book?

Ridiculous question.
    Length probably isn't a good quality by itself, but some novels you can get lost in, spend an entire day reading and still not want to end.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    SO WHY DID YOU SAY WHEEL OF TIME

WoT is good for a long fantasy series, but if you like Wheel of Time, then I would strongly recommend the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Stephen Erikson. It is hands down, far and away the best long fantasy series that I've ever read, and I've read a lot of them. I know Latrin is aware of it already, but if you aren't, you should definitely check it out, and by you I mean anyone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Velfi View Post

If someone wants to make fun of my reading choices, I enjoyed a book called Sarum a long time ago, its historical fiction, takes place over the course of 10,000 years in England, ~1100 pages.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Having said all this, I'm currently in the middle of a WoT re-read. It's my first full series re-read, though I did a re-read before AMoL came out, and I think before TGS too, but not sure about that one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Velfi View Post

Having said all this, I'm currently in the middle of a WoT re-read. It's my first full series re-read, though I did a re-read before AMoL came out, and I think before TGS too, but not sure about that one.
    I am also in the middle of a re-read of WoT. I'm surprised how childlike a lot of it is. That said, the story is still really good. Thoroughly enjoying it, but sometimes I facepalm.
    2013 PC FF Champion

Ross#9505 on Discord

Blog Entries

Length probably isn't a good quality by itself, but some novels you can get lost in, spend an entire day reading and still not want to end.
    I just think it's a stupid qualifier. A story is good or bad regardless of the sum total of words used.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    I like penis.
    We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. We must remember always that accusation is not proof and that conviction depends upon evidence and due process of law. We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men. Edward R. Murrow

What does length have to do with enjoying a book?

Ridiculous question.
    I'm gonna be honest, I'm confused how books got involved in this discussion at all. I was merely trying to distinguish between usual Internet articles that a person can knock out in a minutes and longer form work with "long reads", which I thought this was a fairly common phrase, but I guess not.

Anyway the links are still good reads!
    Hasta pronto, porque la vida no termina aqui...
    America, stop pushing. I know what I'm doing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Latrinsorm View Post
    I'm gonna be honest, I'm confused how books got involved in this discussion at all. I was merely trying to distinguish between usual Internet articles that a person can knock out in a minutes and longer form work with "long reads", which I thought this was a fairly common phrase, but I guess not.
    Nobody associates "good long reads" with internet articles.

Blog Entries

Latrinsorm likes to blame others for his own lack of communication. Quit trying to make him feel bad about it.

He purposely leaves gaps big enough to drive a truck through just so he can pounce when others appear to misunderstand his intent.
    Last edited by Tisket; 03-11-2018 at 04:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    I like penis.
    We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. We must remember always that accusation is not proof and that conviction depends upon evidence and due process of law. We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men. Edward R. Murrow

Nobody associates "good long reads" with internet articles.
    I mean I'm never going to claim to represent the majority, but cursory googling revealed a few people that do. YMMV, but again, the main thing is that they're good reads
    Latrinsorm likes to blame others for his own lack of communication. Quit trying to make him feel bad about it.

He purposely leaves gaps big enough to drive a truck through just so he can pounce when others appear to misunderstand his intent.
    I don't think anyone was trying to make anyone feel bad about anything? Not really sure what's going on here, this went to someplace weirdly confrontational.
    Hasta pronto, porque la vida no termina aqui...
    America, stop pushing. I know what I'm doing.