Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Unionization movement amongst gaming employees

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stumplicker View Post
    Microsoft is far from the only tech company that takes advantage. I'm only using it as an example because it's the one I laid out before. If you'd like another one off the top of my head, Gearbox has worked similarly in the past, as has 2K Games (and boy have they especially), but it's harder, for example, for Bethesda to do the same. The talent pool in their area is smaller so you're more likely to lose employees to companies with better practices.
    And again, for like the 4th time... It is on the person to research any company they are going to work for. If you can't be responsible enough to research an employeer then you deserve to be fucked over. Hopefully you learn from it and don't do the same thing again.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    And again, for like the 4th time... It is on the person to research any company they are going to work for. If you can't be responsible enough to research an employeer then you deserve to be fucked over. Hopefully you learn from it and don't do the same thing again.
    And when it's an industry-wide practice, how exactly do you believe change gets enacted? Maybe a group of like-minded skilled workers, getting together for example, and saying "We're not going to play into these bad practices anymore unless you give us some sort of fair concessions.".
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 06-18-2019 at 04:17 PM.

How would this affect the prices of games? Jump from $50-60 base cost to $100? $500 for super premium ultra edition?
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

4. Default

You begin creating a resume, your body of work gets larger, you come on with more pay. Eventually you get into management and director positions.
    This. I'll put my resume, knowledge and experience up against any recent college grad. I also just stand around all day pissing excellence.

And PS, I'm over 40 and now considered a protected class. ADEA, take that. Booyah.
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/
    Click the link above to see how much you owe the government.

"Well I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black."
    -Superracist, Joe Biden

“If you don’t believe in free speech for people who you disagree with, and even hate for what they stand for, then you don’t believe in free speech.”
    -My favorite liberal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    Which unions are these? When I was laid off from my only union job the union did exactly jack shit for me. I'm sure they negotiated all of the benefits I received for being laid off and were responsible for us being given a 1 month notice, but when it came to the actual laying off part the union was no where to be found. They sure as heck didn't try to get me another job, my employer offered me a transfer but I wasn't in a position to move half way across the country at that time.
    IBEW. The type of help you receive depends heavily on the collective bargaining agreement your union negotiates. Sometimes you're transferred between positions at the same place, but in my area it's a lot of relocating to a new job site, mostly within a couple days, sometimes longer. For tech industry stuff I'm sure it would work differently.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Blog Entries

And when it's an industry-wide practice, how exactly do you believe change gets enacted? Maybe a group of like-minded skilled workers, getting together for example, and saying "We're not going to play into these bad practices anymore unless you give us some sort of fair concessions.".
    So like, people shouldn't fucking whine when it happens and act like it was unexpected then? They should know "Hey, when this game ends, we are going to need to find a new project, anyone got any leads?" "Yeah man, let me check with soandso that I worked with over here" or "Hey, check out this site, they are getting going soon". Now you have Game A in your resume, as you move on to Game B. You aren't brand fucking new anymore so you'll start above entry level. Then guess what, after that you can go to Game C, with even more pay. Keep going and then maybe people will start calling you. Maybe by Game F you can be at management tier, making even more. Perhaps by this time they'll see you are a solid worker and keep you in the company.

That is how the shit works. People just want all this shit handed to them I guess. Or maybe some of those people were just complete fucking assholes who didn't pull their weight and no one wants to hire them now?

7. Default

So like, people shouldn't fucking whine when it happens and act like it was unexpected then? They should know "Hey, when this game ends, we are going to need to find a new project, anyone got any leads?" "Yeah man, let me check with soandso that I worked with over here" or "Hey, check out this site, they are getting going soon". Now you have Game A in your resume, as you move on to Game B. You aren't brand fucking new anymore so you'll start above entry level. Then guess what, after that you can go to Game C, with even more pay. Keep going and then maybe people will start calling you. Maybe by Game F you can be at management tier, making even more. Perhaps by this time they'll see you are a solid worker and keep you in the company.

That is how the shit works. People just want all this shit handed to them I guess. Or maybe some of those people were just complete fucking assholes who didn't pull their weight and no one wants to hire them now?
    No, that is not how shit works. That is how shit worked in the 1980s and 1990s in the tech sector. That is how shit should work, and does in the vast majority of industries. It doesn't in this one, so there's a discussion about it being balanced by unionizing. The late 90s saw most of the major development studios acquired by corporations with dollar signs in their eyes. At that point it stopped being a normal industry being run by industry professionals and started being an industry run by executives. Some of the horror stories that came out of that time period are ridiculous. Did you know Sierra ran the first MMO, and that it was critically and commercially successful? Did you know that when Sierra got acquired they decided to close a branch of Sierra studios? Also, that branch just happened to be the one that housed the server for their game?
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 06-18-2019 at 04:29 PM.

Blog Entries

Industry: *does something bad*
    Workers: "Maybe we should do something"
    Status Quo Motherfuckers: "HEY THAT'S THE NATURE OF THE INDUSTRY MAN NOTHING YOU CAN DO"
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Blog Entries

No, that is not how shit works. That is how shit worked in the 1980s and 1990s in the tech sector. That is how shit should work, and does in the vast majority of industries. It doesn't in this one, so there's a discussion about it being balanced by unionizing. The late 90s saw most of the major development studios acquired by corporations with dollar signs in their eyes. At that point it stopped being a normal industry being run by industry professionals and started being an industry run by executives. Some of the horror stories that came out of that time period are ridiculous. Did you know Sierra ran the first MMO, and that it was critically and commercially successful? Did you know that when Sierra got acquired they decided to close a branch of Sierra studios? Also, that branch just happened to be the one that housed the server for their game?
    Show me where it doesn't work like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    Industry: *does something bad*
    Workers: "Maybe we should do something"
    Status Quo Motherfuckers: "HEY THAT'S THE NATURE OF THE INDUSTRY MAN NOTHING YOU CAN DO"
    I don't think the industry is doing anything bad though.
    Last edited by Gelston; 06-18-2019 at 04:30 PM.

10. Default

Show me where it doesn't work like this.
    The tech sector. As laid out in examples here. Or did you mean where it works like normal?
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 06-18-2019 at 04:30 PM.