Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: End Game Bow - Sighting?

Yea I had also read that similar to crit weighting with ambushers becoming redundant at some point, same for sighting.

I'm not sure if that meant sniping (and so an increased weighting?) or just that skills at a certain point don't really miss much and so its wasted on the item (cap-postcap).

Maybe someone can do testing or point out where for Tenser.

I checked Art of the Bow but same limited for sighting thresholds:

https://gswiki.play.net/Art_of_the_Bow_(guide)#Sighting
    Last edited by Roblar; 09-01-2017 at 01:58 PM.

Thanks Archigeek. I've read anecdotal opinions that you get diminishing returns on archived posts here on the PC, but some of that is from older posts where maybe 110+ level creatures weren't around to fight. Most of the older posts were saying "I hit eyes all the time without sighting, so I don't need it".

I'm specifically asking, does a capped archer see the need for sighting to help with hitting eyes for creatures well over 100th level? Apparently from your experience with the thrown axe is that you only hit the head maybe 70% of the time with 100-115 level monsters. I assume your head hit % is much higher on like leveled opponents?

In the past consensus seemed to have been that sighting wasn't worth it for highly trained characters, but with the new reality of the opportunity to fight much high level foes does that still hold true? If sighting seems to help against those high level fores, I may start a sighting project for my crossbow with the new W/P/S system.

Well, my philosophy on sighting is that you don't really need it but it can't hurt, so throw it on. Heck, I just added sighting to my e-bow.
    Last edited by BriarFox; 09-01-2017 at 02:14 PM.
    My current items for sale or trade: Treasures in the Brambles.

Yes, but I'm a frugal bastard. I don't have the extra wealth to toss around willy nilly. I need to apply my wealth in at least an attempt to be intelligent about it.

Which e-bow do you have?

6. Default

personally I think ranged needs a revamp of sorts. Wouldn't a 5 or 6 second rt added pre attack to a person trying to attack a ranged user to simulate closing distance make more sense than a flat DS bonus to the ranged user?

really don't see why they can't just cut and paste the engagement system in DR although the balancing aspects of that is going to be a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Comodus View Post
    personally I think ranged needs a revamp of sorts. Wouldn't a 5 or 6 second rt added pre attack to a person trying to attack a ranged user to simulate closing distance make more sense than a flat DS bonus to the ranged user?

really don't see why they can't just cut and paste the engagement system in DR although the balancing aspects of that is going to be a nightmare.
    That's a bit off topic.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tenser View Post
    That's a bit off topic.
    It's Macgyver, of course it is.

I'd prioritize fusion over sighting for more AS out of your weapon (since perfect isn't an option). But, even fusion isn't mutually exclusive with sighting. Other bits come down to playstyle and how you manage your arrows... as a ranger, your raw enchant on your bow probably doesn't matter, as it's just more DS... you want 6x to use just ebladed arrows rather than fletched... then fusion/sighting would be secondary mods. Both would be the best, but costly.

>forage for snapdragon stalk
    d100(Open): -251
    You stumble about in a fruitless attempt at foraging.

1/6/2014: Setheve completes the promotion ritual and says, "Congratulations, Whirlin, for achieving Guild Master status! We trust you'll serve your guild well."
    1/11/2014: Grandmaster Alchemist
    1/14/2014: Capped, and got Loralaii killed by a GM.
    7/11/2016: Founded the Hand of the Arkati
    9/20/2016: T5 on my bow (Thanks to Isola)... Managed as far as T4 myself.

Thanks Whirlin. My ranger is a halfling, so he uses a mechanical crossbow to avoid the long firing RTs. I think fusion is not an option for me given that. The crossbow is 5x now, and the price for sighting will go up if I enchant it or get it ensorcelled. If I decide to sight, then I need to add sighting first for the next couple of years. If not, then i'll enchant it to 6x and get some ensorcelling done.

I could probably go the route you suggest and go with a fusion bow(and find +15 worth of strength bonus orbs/enhancives), but I created this ranger when archery first came out as a crossbowman. Then the mechanics were changed to take into account strength in firing and cocking RT (and my halflings strength was 65), so I started carrying 5 light crossbows around all fully cocked and ready to fire...but the constant fight to manage all 5 crossbows and the bolts wore me down. I bought an e-bow and used that instead for a couple years until I sold my stuff around 2001. In 2004 I briefly reactivated just to reallocate stats, and moved his strength to 100. Fast forward to 2016 and once I started playing again my options were to go back to cocking and loading 5 light crossbows deja vu or deal 5 with second RTs shooting a long bow. Before I could make up my mind, this strange Duskruin thing came along selling mechanical crossbows and I couldn't resist. I love the option of kneeling when I need some extra pop and the ability to re-hide after 2 seconds with 608 and load during the casting RT is pretty nice.

So, let's pretend fusion isn't an option at this point. Do I spend the next couple of years sighting a 5x mechanical crossbow, or so I enchant it to 6x(or even 7x) and throw on some ensorcelling and call it good?
    Last edited by Tenser; 09-01-2017 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlin View Post
    It's Macgyver, of course it is.

I'd prioritize fusion over sighting for more AS out of your weapon (since perfect isn't an option). But, even fusion isn't mutually exclusive with sighting. Other bits come down to playstyle and how you manage your arrows... as a ranger, your raw enchant on your bow probably doesn't matter, as it's just more DS... you want 6x to use just ebladed arrows rather than fletched... then fusion/sighting would be secondary mods. Both would be the best, but costly.
    Do your job.