Thread: House Passes Russian Sanctions Bill With Overwhelming Majority

Default House Passes Russian Sanctions Bill With Overwhelming Majority

CNN reporting that the House passed their modified Russian Sanctions bill 419-3.

The House of Representatives overwhelmingly passed a bill giving Congress the power to block any effort by the White House to weaken sanctions on Russia, offering a direct challenge to President Donald Trump's authority.

The vote was 419-3. The legislation moves to the Senate, but it's unclear when the Senate will vote on the measure, which includes new sanctions against Russia, Iran and North Korea. Senate foreign relations committee chairman Bob Corker indicated Monday he may want to make some tweaks to the bill, which was negotiated between the House and Senate after the initial version he drafted sailed through on a 98-2 vote.

"This is a strong, bipartisan bill that will increase the United States' economic and political leverage," Rep. Ed Royce, who heads the House Foreign Affairs Committee, told reporters Tuesday.

The House action came hours after Jared Kushner, the President's son-in-law and senior adviser, wrapped up an interview with the House intelligence committee about the 2016 campaign and allegations that the Trump campaign coordinated with Russian officials to help defeat Hillary Clinton. On Monday he met with staff on the Senate intelligence panel and said afterward that he didn't collude with Russia and didn't know anyone from the campaign who did.
    The key part of the bill is that it severely (though not entirely) curtails the Administration's ability to lift Russian sanctions- which it has been trying to do since Trump got into office in January.

“There was serious consideration by the White House to unilaterally rescind the sanctions,” according to Dan Fried, who retired in February as Coordinator for Sanctions Policy at the State Department.

Fried told veteran investigative journalist Michael Isikoff, a former national investigative correspondent for NBC News and Newsweek alumnus, that in the early weeks of the administration he got several “panicky” calls from U.S. officials. They asked: “Please, my God, can’t you stop this?”

I'm interested to see what happens when/if trump and Putin begin to bicker.

MOSCOW — Russia on Friday seized two American diplomatic properties and ordered the United States Embassy in Moscow to reduce its staff by September, the government’s first retaliatory steps against new American sanctions.

I wish you'd both shut the fuck up for a day or so.

Quote Originally Posted by cwolff View Post
    I'm interested to see what happens when/if trump and Putin begin to bicker.
    Kompromat

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathbringer View Post
    I wish you'd both shut the fuck up for a day or so.
    Then I'd better join in, too. What's the matter? Upset that your Cheeto-in-Chief has lost on healthcare, lost on Russia sanctions, and people in his circle likely to be indicted?

Better call someone retarded. That'll make you feel better.

Trump will sign a sanctions bill only if it is Strong. The Mooch says Trump is considering vetoing this bill so that Trump can negotiate stronger sanctions.

"He may sign the sanctions exactly the way they are, or he may veto the sanctions and negotiate an even tougher deal against the Russians," Scaramucci said on CNN's "New Day," calling Trump's strategy on sanctions part of his "counterintuitive, counterpunching personality."

More...

Quote Originally Posted by Ashliana View Post
    Then I'd better join in, too. What's the matter? Upset that your Cheeto-in-Chief has lost on healthcare, lost on Russia sanctions, and people in his circle likely to be indicted?

Better call someone retarded. That'll make you feel better.
    I know you're kidding, but I think it actually does make him feel better.

How's that for the sad thought of the day?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashliana View Post
    Cheeto-in-Chief
    lewl.
    You slap Walkar's cheek, hard.
    He continues, "I've decided that I'm not going to let you serve community service, so don't get your hopes up. To this aim, you may either pay the fine of 50000000 silvers plus any other outstanding debts you may owe, or serve a total of 120 minutes of incarceration. You may ANSWER me either FINE or INCARCERATION as your choice. But I digress. Choose quickly, now, lest I hold you in contempt of court for wasting my time."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jhynnifer View Post
    lewl.
    ^
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    I like penis.
    We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. We must remember always that accusation is not proof and that conviction depends upon evidence and due process of law. We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men. Edward R. Murrow