Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Fixstating My Sorcerer

Okay, so I went back and reread the entire thread and have come to the conclusion that there are many paths, each equally effective which seem to be highly dependent on your playing preference. Based on what I have read, you guys have helped me to recalibrate what I want. With that in mind, I will try to be as specific as possible about what I hope to achieve and try to tailor the training plan accordingly with you, the more experienced player base.

So, here is my list of things I want to accomplish.

1. Be able to hunt at my level, or a little over my level. Right now, I am underhunting by about 7 levels. I know I say I hunt in the Tree Spirit area, but bear in mind that I'm really there for the monks and happen to run into the occasional Tree Spirit. Either way, they are both under me by about 7 levels. The treasure payout and experience gained is pretty low and frustrating...this will also affect how much I have to hunt to build up necrotic energy for ensorcelling, so it's pretty important to me.
    2. Be able to do item 1 above alone. My other characters hunt in groups, but I play this character so rarely that he doesn't make too many friends. I am not opposed to group hunting, I just don't have that opportunity.
    3. Be able to do ensorcelling. This is the most important secondary skill to me. I want it so that I can ensorcell gear for my other characters. Thanks to Allerili for pointing out that INT is a major stat for ensorcelling.

The following items are things that would be nice to have, but are definitely not necessary. This list is not in any particular order, nor exhaustive.

1. Scroll infusion. I have been practicing with it for some time and have come to the conclusion that it requires too many components and too much bookkeeping to be "fun." It is something that I might would want to do if this were my main character who I spent most of my time with, but given the circumstances this is more of a "nice if I can afford it" thing. The only real reason I would want it is because scrolls are lighter than wands, orbs, etc...
    2. Not have to carry around wands/orbs/embeddables. I have a wizard and empath on two other accounts. The wizard gives me defensive spells, a disk, strength, and behaves as a battery. The empath keeps me healed, provides blues so I don't waste my mana spelling up, and also acts as a battery. I am not completely opposed to carrying orbs, but if I can avoid it - it would be nice.
    3. Maximizing phasing. Let's face it, disk space runs out and I have to carry boxes before my mind is full. There are a couple of ways to mitigate this. I could hunt at level or over-hunt a little bit, making me have to rest sooner, further decreasing the likelihood that I will be carrying boxes around, or I could phase boxes more effectively to make them even lighter than I do right now. Maybe addressing Items 1 and 2 from the must haves will automatically fix this issue.
    4. Be able to bolt. My empath was severely gimped by not being able to bolt, but he is level 73 and the critters he was fighting were pretty susceptible to bolt spells (or maybe the more accurate way of saying this is that they were better at warding). This sorcerer is not really in that box yet (I don't think he is, anyway)...the things he hunts seem to be pretty bad at warding. Now, if by moving up to like-level mobs means that they may require some bolting spells, then move this wish up to a requirement.

------------------------------

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to read this thread and provide your feedback (and in some cases pushback). When this sorcerer was at lower levels, I thought I knew how to train him, but it seems that the sorcerer profession is a little more complicated than I gave it credit for. I will post my training plan here to hopefully make it easier for you to provide your suggestions, but I'm pretty sure it will leave you scratching your heads.

AU: 8 ranks
    MOC: dropped completely
    PF: 1x
    Climb/Swim: 0.5x each for now. Understanding that I know about what I'll need for higher levels, but will fixskill again if I have to by the time this becomes an issue.
    Percep: 0.5x
    AS: 1x
    MIU: 1x
    HP: 1x
    SA: 1x
    EMC: 1x
    SMC: 24 ranks
    MnE: 1x
    MnS: 0.5x
    Sorc: 1x
    SL - Demon: 28 ranks
    SL - Necro: 5 ranks
    A Vvrael witch shudders, her form suddenly contracting convulsively.
    The ground beneath your feet suddenly frosts and rumbles violently!
    [SMR result: 93 (Open d100: -32, Bonus: 61)]
    You dodge out of the way!
    !SPR>sta
    ...wait 4 seconds.
    !SPR>
    Icy stalagmites burst from the ground beneath you!
    [SMR result: 213 (Open d100: 88, Bonus: 61)]
    ... 55 points of damage!
    Incredible strike pierces your heart and runs you clean through!

It seems you have died, my friend.

To maximize your sorcerer CS you want to have 425, +21 in sorcerer spells, then 2/3 your level in MnE before training more sorcerer spells. You get +1 CS from secondary circles at 1, 4, 7, 10, 13 ranks, ect. Once you have 425 you get +1 CS from it every four levels. MnS spells play a minor part in your CS but are important for DS/TD, once you get 120 they stop adding to your TD but they will continue to add to your DS as you need, having 125/130 is also decent utility, so something to keep in mind. I'd suggest you get up to 430 then work on having 120 by 50 at the latest, followed by 440 at 60 then go from there.

Why 5 ranks of necromancy exactly?

While mana controls do help give you more mana I also don't think they are worth the training points, and my sorcerer only has the 20 ranks of EMC just for sharing. I know the mana controls have other uses as well but not something I'm going to worry about until far post cap. Off hand I know they affect the cost of FI, mana pulse/spellup, multicasts, and how much mana it takes to infuse. Decide if these things are worth it to you.

Spell aim - Unless you decided to do something like warcamping it is very unlikely that bolting will ever be the better option over your spells. People say it is an all or nothing skill and it is in regards to bolting in the later levels, but even being 1x in it makes a difference with FI and aimed limb disruption.

Arcane symbols - Save training this skill until you decide to do scroll infusion or if you do plan on using scrolls a lot

MIU - A bit of the same, train this only if you plan on using magic items a lot, small statues, gold coins, ect. Quartz orbs actually don't count as they require none and last 5 minutes regardless of training.

Harness power - If you feel you don't have enough mana 2x it until you get 100 ranks then stop. At that point you'd only be missing a few CS points and it would be giving you 104 + mana between wracking and the increase in max mana would also mean increased mana per pulse.

Ensorcell - My sorcerer is actually better at it then someone who is 1x in their secondary magical skills because sorcerer spells are a primary factor and weighted much more heavily.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeril View Post
    You are thinking of Moredin who used FI to great affect in warcamps. But outside of warcamps where the good loot is found in the chests using FI like that leaves one rather poor, so it isn't that great of an option.
    You would be correct sir! His build was a mutant type of build but as you said he was extremely successful.

Warcamp box are terrible and this makes me sad.

Makes me wonder if your sorcerer would be better off with a shield and brawl build.

You get a Nice DS by carrying a shield.
    You will never be disarmed.
    Things like MIU and Arcane symbols are not that important to you.
    You aren't going to be 1x in both EMC and SMC.

Base build would be.

1x Brawl
    .5x to 1x in Shields
    1x Harness power
    2x to 2.5x in spells.
    With the extra points you can pick up some magical ranks to help round of your character..or train in anything else you want.

Fit in your Sorcerer lores.. Physical Fitness... Climbing and Swiming Ranks .. become a skinner. Do what you would like.

Quote Originally Posted by zhelas View Post
    Makes me wonder if your sorcerer would be better off with a shield and brawl build.

You get a Nice DS by carrying a shield.
    You will never be disarmed.
    Things like MIU and Arcane symbols are not that important to you.
    You aren't going to be 1x in both EMC and SMC.

Base build would be.

1x Brawl
    .5x to 1x in Shields
    1x Harness power
    2x to 2.5x in spells.
    With the extra points you can pick up some magical ranks to help round of your character..or train in anything else you want.

Fit in your Sorcerer lores.. Physical Fitness... Climbing and Swiming Ranks .. become a skinner. Do what you would like.
    That build would be great if Voln Fu still existed

As a sorcerer the training points needed to be 1x in brawling is the same as 20 triple spell ranks, if those ranks were put into MnS you'd see the same gains in DS as well as increased CS in MnS and longer durations from those spells. Shield training also eats up points while runestaves are basically free DS.

I agree with that last point though, Do what you like. I guess it really shouldn't be much of a surprise but when I am helping people with how to train their characters figuring out what they like is always the hardest part.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayko View Post
    That build would be great if Voln Fu still existed
    You would still be able to open cast. Evarin/Fallen used to have this build. I believe he said it yielded about 50 extra points of DS. He wasn't a volner. So Voln Fu was never an option. He may have even carried an enchanted brawling weapon.

Shoot if Brawling is too expensive make it a sword or dagger and train in edge weapons.

Jenovadeathe used to carry a shield and had a sword that would make folks eyes bleed when they had to read its description.

Shield training also eats up points while runestaves are basically free DS.
    This is why I haven't converted Zhelas over to carrying a shield. Quite a few folks have tried to convince me over time. For me personally giving up the magical ranks was never an option.

I do get frustrated everytime I get Disarmed in Nelemar and die. Doesn't happen a lot but I revisit the shield build.

So a post cap goal is to get 5 ranks in CMAN Disarm and Cunning Defense. It isn't perfect and it is very expensive.

The GMs recomend 8 magical ranks per train with a runestaff. The norm is about 10 with folks.

I believe zhelas is about 14 ranks per train now since being post cap.

Is there a real difference between using a shield and runestaff? It really depends on what you want to do as fun.
    Last edited by zhelas; 09-02-2013 at 12:43 AM.

With as many magical ranks a level as you have, at most 20 DS in offensive against melee, but you'd see a difference of at least 50-60 against ranged. And using a runestaff you'd see more DS the closer you are to defensive vs what you'd get from shield/brawl.

With as many magical ranks a level as you have, at most 20 DS in offensive against melee, but you'd see a difference of at least 50-60 against ranged. And using a runestaff you'd see more DS the closer you are to defensive vs what you'd get from shield/brawl.
    All I can say is. Training in combat maneuvers as a pure is painful.

Try and convince Shimmerain to get rid of his shield.