Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Night at the Academy

The facebook link worked for me.

Once maintained by Lord and Lady Tallary, the Turamzzyrian Academy of Elanthian History hosts a bounty of artifacts from all across Elanthia. Lord and Lady Tallary spent hours researching artifacts and were once considered the cornerstone of archeological history and its preservation. Historians from around the world would come to the Academy with unknown artifacts, and their team of scholars would find answers for them.
    In 5102, the Academy opened an enormous Hunt for History, the second of its kind, and asked adventurers from around the globe to solve the various puzzles that presented themselves to the scholars. It was a grand undertaking that is still fondly remembered by adventurers. Unfortunately, several years later a curse befell the Academy.

During the occupation of Solhaven by the Sheruvian villan Draezir, a curse befell the keep, and those that sought help from Vornavis to quickly exterminate it were killed on their way to the Baron. The Lord and Lady Tallary, as well as many of the great scholars of the time and all their servants, were slaughtered by a malign spirit that had arisen from one of the artifacts they were studying. By the time the Vornavians had discovered what had happened, it was far too late. Unrest now roams in the haunted halls of the Academy, though much of the time it can be kept peaceful within.
    Not much is known about the spirit that haunts the Academy, though it is not the only phantasm. Several of the past residents of the Academy wander the halls as well. It is rumored that in the final hours of the Academy, one of the scholars placed a spell on the artifacts to preserve them from thieves. This spell creates an energy that passes from one artifact to another, and if a ghost, spirit, or any other being passes into the field, it causes them to explode. Yet, somehow, every once in a while, something manages to take some artifacts and hide them somewhere on the grounds.

That's when the undead within start to grow strong and rise up more and more.
    When the undead do rise, Vornavis guardsmen hire out adventurers to set the problem straight! Adventurers explore the Academy grounds, and while battling undead, search the area for the artifacts to return them to their proper locations. Once that's done, everything seems to settle down for a time. There's a time limit involved, however, because as the undead energies keep rising, eventually the adventurers will be overwhelmed!

Quest Details

Up to 10 players can participate in the next GemStone IV Adventure, a small-scale "quest" starting at an introductory price of $17.95 that takes roughly three hours to complete. This is a task-based quest that relies on good party balance and a breadth of available party skills. Players are strongly encouraged to bring a diverse group of professions, especially a cleric, an empath, a rogue, and a bard for maximum success. It is also suggested that players may want to group up with others close to their own level, as the creatures in the quest will be scaled to match the levels of group members. Also, don't forget to bring your blessed weapon, and have the ability to rebless! Race the clock to collect hidden artifacts before the undead rise to block your path!
    Want to team up with your friends for a private run? Pick a time and date for your group and contact quests@simutronics.com, and your specially scheduled Adventure will have up to 10 reserved slots that can only be purchased by those who know the password! Want to just join up with another group? Head over to the Box Office to sign up today!
    Last edited by StrayRogue; 06-21-2012 at 06:58 PM.
    Xcalibur - The fool that enter a fool's game is fooler.
    PB - 9000 is 95% of 18000

While it does sound kind of cool, $20 each for this is steep, even if, I assume you get GM interaction. For three hours? This kind of stuff should be getting pumped out all the time and shouldn't be once in a blue moon occurences.

I agree and, frankly, it's not in my price range for a three hour event assuming it takes that long. It might trump a movie, I guess. It sounds like what I get with the Drakes Vanguard on warcamp night, though. I'm not that into puzzles, undead or not walking away with something DM worthy for about the same price, even if the event takes three times longer. I bet you walk away with fewer silvers, too.

Maybe it's a sad state when $$ events from SIMU mean I need to have something nice afterward. In my opinion, they opened that door with DM and there is no closing it now.
    - Galenok

"I'm your huckleberry."

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
    Doesn't quite help the issue of looking like a tard as you run around singing at things. Other than that, you're golden.
    Quote Originally Posted by NocturnalRob View Post
    If by "singing at," you mean "skull fucking," then yes, you are correct. Bards fucking own.

Having been away from GS a while I have little idea what DM (or the controversy surrounding it) is. I recall them doing the Hunt 4 History and a few other things. It just needs to be more regular and maybe people would do it more often.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StrayRogue View Post
    Having been away from GS a while I have little idea what DM (or the controversy surrounding it) is. I recall them doing the Hunt 4 History and a few other things. It just needs to be more regular and maybe people would do it more often.
    http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Drou...%27s_Challenge
    Vote for Gemstone Once a Day at The Mud Connection & Top Mud Sites

Quote Originally Posted by StrayRogue View Post

Just a run through a maze that everyone ended up scripting, Virilneus gamed the betting system so obviously he ruined it for the rest of us, and had random pretty decent prizes at the end. It was such a success they brought it back with crappier prizes and it still sold out so they are basically running it once a month now. Items that are not ultra high end are being steadily deflated by the amount of items released (1100 on the first run, less amounts on the ones since them).
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
    Drew's priorities - Merchanting > Roleplaying > Cybering > Being AFK > Cybering > Hunting
    (wrathbringer78) I think that's it. Viril is one big obnoxious ambient script.

Up to 10 players can participate in the next GemStone IV Adventure, a small-scale "quest" starting at an introductory price of $17.95 that takes roughly three hours to complete. This is a task-based quest that relies on good party balance and a breadth of available party skills. Players are strongly encouraged to bring a diverse group of professions, especially a cleric, an empath, a rogue, and a bard for maximum success. It is also suggested that players may want to group up with others close to their own level, as the creatures in the quest will be scaled to match the levels of group members. Also, don't forget to bring your blessed weapon, and have the ability to rebless! Race the clock to collect hidden artifacts before the undead rise to block your path!
    1. Are they encouraging MAing here? "Hey guys, make sure you bring your pocket priest!"

2. Hey Wizards, Sorcerers, Rangers, and Warriors, nice to feel needed eh?

Players who do quests always leave with a heavy RPA, so you get that and a small prize. Despite the Gauntlet like description and the fact that I do enjoy mowing down thousands of zombies, think I'll pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Just a run through a maze that everyone ended up scripting, Virilneus gamed the betting system so obviously he ruined it for the rest of us, and had random pretty decent prizes at the end. It was such a success they brought it back with crappier prizes and it still sold out so they are basically running it once a month now. Items that are not ultra high end are being steadily deflated by the amount of items released (1100 on the first run, less amounts on the ones since them).
    Uhhh no.

Fact: I didn't place a bet on any droughtman race on any run with any characters. I don't even know how to bet, I couldn't tell you the command syntax if my life depended on it.

I did make a killer script for actually running the event, but don't put the betting shit on me.

It is nothing like Hunt 4 History or Droughtman's. The puzzle itself is pretty simplistic. Some changes were implemented since the beta runs, but Alyias didn't elaborate on what they were or if the final prize was amongst those changes.

Silvers were just what you could loot from the critters and some random grimswarm style treasure chests that provide 2 and only 2 boxes per chest. A few random treasure system genned weapons/shields/armor will drop. Final prize for the betas was a one time use EXP modifying orb.

-Richard.
    Last edited by RSR; 06-21-2012 at 08:10 PM.

Me and nine friends!?!?!?

Are you kidding me?? I don't have nine friends in real life, let alone Gemstone!!! There aren't nine people at Friday Night Magic at my local game store. Gods.

Best I can do: Levar Burton told me maybe.

Guess I can't pay even more than I already do to play Night at the Museum. Never liked Ben Stiller's later movies anyway.
    Nothing to see here.