Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Puerto Ricans American Citizens?

Puerto Ricans are not showing enough gratitude..

FEMA Administrator Brock Long on ABC's This Week program yesterday..

RADDATZ: And, Mr. Long, let's turn to Puerto Rico. The mayor of San Juan tweeting again this morning, saying power collapses in San Juan hospital with two patients being transferred out, have requested support from FEMA, Brock, nothing.

And she also says: "Increasingly painful to understand the American people want to help and U.S. government does not want to help. We need water." What's your reaction to that?

LONG: We filtered out the mayor a long time ago. We don't have time for the political noise. The bottom line is, is that we are making progress every day in conjunction with the governor. And in regards to the power failure, we're restringing a very fragile system every day. As we make progress, simple thunder storms pass through, knocked the progress out.

Rebuilding, rebuilding Puerto Rico is going to be a greater conversation for the Congress in conjunction with the governor on how they're -- you know, what the way forward is in the future of Puerto Rico.

But in regards to the power outages and the hospitals, we built an entire 911 system. We monitor the hospital system daily. And so if there is a power failure at a hospital, which we've seen two of, you know, over this past week, we're actually life-flighting (ph) the ICU patients out of those hospitals, onto the USS Comfort.

And we continue to stabilize that situation with hospitals. But as far as the political noise, we filter that out, keeps our heads down, and continue to make progress, and push forward restoring essential functions for Puerto Rico.

More...

Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rosselló says he plans to mobilize 5.3 million Puerto Ricans living on the mainland to shake up the midterm elections in states ranging from Florida to California.

Rosselló, a Democrat and member of the island's pro-statehood New Progressive Party, is infuriated about a Republican tax plan that he says could hobble the island’s economy even as thousands of residents remain without power and water three months after Hurricane Maria.

More...
    The new tax plan treats companies on the island the same as those operating outside the U.S., subjecting them to a tax of up to 12.5 percent on intellectual property.

Even if he can get the tax changes fixed and pick up other legislative wins, Rosselló said he intends to stick to his plan. His office has begun cataloging Puerto Ricans and Latinos living on the mainland to see where they can have an impact.

So far, he figures they can sway congressional district votes in 14 states, including Florida, Ohio, Virginia, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, South Carolina and Texas. He pointed to the influence of Florida’s 2.7 million Cuban-Americans, a powerful and well-organized constituency.
    His plan also would draw attention to Puerto Rico’s legal status, which he calls “this big elephant in the room”.

“What are we going to do with a colonial territory in the 21st century?” Rosselló said. “The United States has unfinished business. It holds the oldest and most populated colonial territory in the world.”

“Having no representation is a clear disadvantage and if you need any more evidence of this just look at the tax reform,” Rosselló said. “Just because we don’t have representation we got railroaded.”

I said it at the very beginning. I told them they would never get good treatment unless they have the right to vote.

More than a third of them still don't have electricity more than three months after the hurricane. If they were voters, they'd have electricity by now. No doubt about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeR View Post
    I said it at the very beginning. I told them they would never get good treatment unless they have the right to vote.

More than a third of them still don't have electricity more than three months after the hurricane. If they were voters, they'd have electricity by now. No doubt about it.
    What are you going to do about it?
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    What are you going to do about it?
    I wrote an internet post!

I wrote an internet post!
    Did it help the situation????
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.

Puerto Rico better not ask for more foreign aid.

I better not ask for more dildos. Even though all the ones I own are worn the fuck out.
    This is correct.

9. Default

Have you read the news about how their governing bodies are running all the politicians out because they misappropriated the funds they got and didn't fix things? Can't blame it on Trump.
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/
    Click the link above to see how much you owe the government.

"Well I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black."
    -Superracist, Joe Biden

“If you don’t believe in free speech for people who you disagree with, and even hate for what they stand for, then you don’t believe in free speech.”
    -My favorite liberal

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    This is correct.
    This makes me miss all the posts making fun of pk for earning couch rent via testing vishras mega dildos. Man, those were always hilarious.