Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Official: Reim Lag

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post

I think the biggest issue here that the GMs may have with it, is how accessible it is for everyone to run around spelled to the gills in such a short time. (I'm perfectly ok with it, but I could see from a Dev point of view how it may be a nuisance)
    You have to remember that one of the reasons for the change to GSIV was the removal of ease of access to a lot of outside spells for everyone. The GMs wanted it to be easier to balance out end-game (capped) areas and that was impossible with the uncapped level system in GSIII.

Adjustments made going into GSIV to better balance the system:
    * a hard level cap of 100.
    * adjusted some spells to make them self cast only and/or short durations (60 seconds, such as Wizard's Shield and Wall of Force) so they didn't have to take them into account when balancing out higher-end hunting grounds. Having 919 or 1040 being a 60 second duration spell, the idea was to make them more of an emergency DS spell and not a "always active" DS spell they needed to account for.

Adjustments made since the change to GSIV to remove the balance changes from GSIII to GSIV:
    * increased SK items
    * adjusted spells/skills to increase AS/DS/TD/CS and at the same time reduce effectiveness of instant kills from spells/skills for players
    * create more and more scripted items to increase AS/DS/TD/CS
    * embraced pay events to dole out easy access to high-end items that continue to push AS/DS/TD/CS checks out of balance
    * GMs become irritated folks are easily now bypassing AS/DS/TD/CS checks and not dying.....time to shift the paradigm and focus on non AS/DS/TD/CS systems to ignore all the crap they fed back into the game to create nearly invincible players
    * adjust SMRv2 and shift CML to SMR2
    - This is a two sided sword:
    1) CML was awful by design for most players to defend against if you weren't trained in the same CML skill being used against you. So it's nice that this shit was removed from game.
    2) SMRv2 defense was adjusted and shifted downwards to prevent pures from having the better SMRv2 defense while they stood in defensive stance. Now Forward stance is the most defense you can have against SMRv2 and the shift of everything going to a phantom dodge bonus system for races....as you level, you get a diminished return to your SMRv2 defense for all the skill ranks you can train in, which includes phantom bonuses from spells such as 911's dodge bonus (unless they changed how this calculates as you level, this is how it functioned in all the testing I did over a year ago).
    2b) The SMRv2 defense impact I've seen on all my pures that they've lost upwards of 20-30 points of SMRv2 defense. Sure, CML attacks that used to always get them they can better defend against now, but on the flip side the other maneuvers that they almost never got hit from they are now getting hit by them more often.

Now with all these changes going on, the added scripted items, the ease at which a lot of spells are still shareable amongst the players, the ramped up pay events (mainly DR), the fact that folks are coming back to the game (probably due to the pandemic and folks staying home more) are all contributions to the aged game engine that cannot handle swaths of commands/input/output data as folks congregate into somewhat large groups in any place in the game.

Without them actually getting a person that codes (or several individuals) to re-write the game engine to handle the increased population and all the shit ton of scripts out there, sadly they're reduced to capping population at tables and basically muting rooms once the population exceeds their "magic" number - which happens to be 100 at the moment.

All they can do is band-aid the situation until something significant happen:
    1) re-write the game engine (we all know this won't happen, they won't want to put the resources into doing that)
    2) population of the game dies down (most likely to happen if life returns to some sort of normalicy)
    3) they create a system of NPCs that replaces the need of Dreavening's spell ups (which sounds like something is in the works to head this direction) to hopefully reduce the number of people that attend the gatherings. Sure, some folks like to come and interact with others, but you have some that come just for the spells. A NPC spell up system may have the affect the GMs are hoping, but I'm not sure how that will fare with Dreaven and all the work he's put into all of this.

Sadly, the GMs came out and blasted that the Dreavening's spell ups were the issue at first. Not the gathering of a lot of people, but the spell ups. They did retract some and eventually came out to admit it was a limitation to how the system handles so many people in a room and it wasn't all just because of Dreavening's spell ups.....but how they jumped the gun and out rightly blamed Dreaven was pretty shitty.

They haven't said anything else in the game was causing lag issues, though, only large gathering of people in single rooms.....for anyone to outright believe this line from the GMs, well, you're a fucking retard. We all know that lag starting hitting in the recent 2-week period with the opening of DR.

Anyone remember previous lag issues that were caused from massive groups running Reim? Yet even here it was hard to get straight answer out of the GMs that yes, the larges groups running Reim were the issue.

Bottom line is, the system is aged and more and more scripted crap, additions to the game (looking at you Ascension) and the so far stable game population.....the GMs can't do shit to fix the problem outside of band-aid fixes if they won't re-write the game engine. The GMs should never have outed any one single person as being the problem and they should have owned up to the obvious that many players know. Shame on them for being dicks about the whole situation.
    Last edited by drumpel; 02-22-2021 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drumpel View Post
    2) population of the game dies down (most likely to happen if life returns to some sort of normalicy).
    Going to be a huge wakeup to the GMs when the population takes a huge cliff dive once everyone goes back to working at work, instead of working/playing from home.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    It's especially funny because the two main arguments from Dreavening detractors were:

1) It makes the game too easy.
    2) It discourages people from talking and roleplaying because they don't have to ask other players for spells.

And the GMs are talking about automating the process even more which will do exactly these two things. I can't wait to see the detractors come out and say "ZOMG! This is the best idea the GMs have ever had!!!"

It's doubly especially funny because it's been a semi-joke for a while now that the GMs were looking at ways to replace Dreavenings, and now it looks like those are no longer semi-jokes but reality. I'm sure the GMs won't act like drug dealers either; offer their shit for free to drive out all other competition then start charging people once they have a monopoly.

Tin foil hat conspiracy there? Perhaps. But then again a few months ago people would have accused me of being a conspiracy theorist for suggesting GMs were looking at ways of replacing Dreavenings with NPCs.
    Are they RPing or are they just playing games you've made?

I don't like the way they've gone about calling people out fairly recently but it's fairly well known that lots of people in a room lags the game out. I think a better solution, than year round spellup bots, would be to offer a spellup bot inside DR for super cheap, since it seems to really go tits up during DR.
    Last edited by drauz; 02-22-2021 at 10:56 AM.
    No, I am not Drauz in game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drauz View Post
    Are they RPing or are they just playing games you've made?
    Yeah, people RP there.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Coming soon! NPC spellcasters to give you buffs! All you need is this handy dandy SpellMeUp token, sold in the Simucoin store, and you can get 4 hours of buffs anytime you need!

They will find a way to tap into the market.

Selling Stuff and Things
    Elgrim#0001 on Discord or Elgrim on the Official GS Discord server under Nitro Boosters.

Quote Originally Posted by Elgrim View Post
    Coming soon! NPC spellcasters to give you buffs! All you need is this handy dandy SpellMeUp token, sold in the Simucoin store, and you can get 4 hours of buffs anytime you need!

They will find a way to tap into the market.
    Estild said they are looking at introducing an NPC to spell people up instantly, wouldn't surprise me if it costs SimuCoins.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    Estild said they are looking at introducing an NPC to spell people up instantly, wouldn't surprise me if it costs SimuCoins.
    It's going to happen. Even though spell-ups are the traditional form of player2player services in Gemstone. If there is enough demand, Estild/Wyrom and co. want a piece of the action.

8. Default

[Town Square, Small Park - 288]
    A small, shady park fills an old vacant lot behind a row of buildings, the bustling sounds of the square filtering through the passage to the north to animate the area despite its appearance of peace and serenity. A weatherworn grey marble statue of a stocky human in pioneer's clothing overlooks the park, his stone hat encrusted by the gifts of decades of passing birds and his right hand half-upraised as if it once held some now-missing object. You also see a half-elven invoker garbed in colorful layered robes

ask invoker about spells

Shaking back the layered sleeves of her multicolored robes, the invoker releases upon you a flurry of abjurations...

A light blue glow surrounds you.
    Nothing happens.
    Nothing happens.
    A deep blue glow surrounds you.
    A misty halo surrounds you.
    A silvery luminescence surrounds you.
    A bright luminescence surrounds you.
    A brilliant luminesence surrounds you.
    Glowing specks of light red energy begin to spin around you.
    You feel much stronger.
    You seem to blend into the surroundings better.
    The air about you shimmers slightly.
    You suddenly feel much more dextrous.
    Opening your mind's eye to the progression of time, a myriad of possible future events fills your consciousness.
    You feel your forehead pulse as your mind hardens to deter invading thoughts.
    A whirl of spiritual energy streaks down from above, creating a dully illuminated mantle around your form.

4 hours on stackables 2 hours on others it seems, 103/202 were nothing happens on my cleric
    Found out on lnet, don't see any official posting on main page or forums yet unless I missed it
    Last edited by stickyfingers; 02-23-2021 at 12:11 PM.

That was some fast ass turnaround

10. Default

I wonder if the NPC is permanent.