Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The War on Breastfeeding

Red face The War on Breastfeeding

A resolution to encourage breast-feeding was expected to be approved quickly and easily by the hundreds of government delegates who gathered this spring in Geneva for the United Nations-affiliated World Health Assembly.

Based on decades of research, the resolution says that mother’s milk is healthiest for children and countries should strive to limit the inaccurate or misleading marketing of breast milk substitutes.

Then the United States delegation, embracing the interests of infant formula manufacturers, upended the deliberations.

More...

The Americans were blunt: If Ecuador refused to drop the resolution, Washington would unleash punishing trade measures and withdraw crucial military aid. The Ecuadorean government quickly acquiesced.

The showdown over the issue was recounted by more than a dozen participants from several countries, many of whom requested anonymity because they feared retaliation from the United States.
    In the end, the Americans’ efforts were mostly unsuccessful. It was the Russians who ultimately stepped in to introduce the measure — and the Americans did not threaten them.

This isn't over. Not by a long shot.
    There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.

Go for it. It ultimately protects naive or first time parents and ends up being scientifically proven healthier for a developing child. Why are people raising a fuss? Oh because Russia was involved? What are you retarded? The US threatened to pull punishing trade measures and crucial military aid from a place that gives enough of a fuck to tell companies to be truthful?

What are we children? "Oh that place wants to tell the truth, stop hanging out with them."

What I'm confused about with this story is why was it up to poor and small countries to sponsor this measure? How come no rich large European country stepped in to sponsor it if the US were being such meanie heads to smaller poor countries?

This whole thing sounds strange.

It screams private interest on behalf of the US. It's so transparent they all but fucking named a sponsor.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    What I'm confused about with this story is why was it up to poor and small countries to sponsor this measure? How come no rich large European country stepped in to sponsor it if the US were being such meanie heads to smaller poor countries?

This whole thing sounds strange.
    What's strange to me is how these companies were ever able to convince consumers that formula is better than breast milk.

It's easy to understand not wanting to lose billions in profits, this is the pharma industry we are talking about.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

This has Nestlé's fingerprints all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Neveragain View Post
    What's strange to me is how these companies were ever able to convince consumers that formula is better than breast milk.

It's easy to understand not wanting to lose billions in profits, this is the pharma industry we are talking about.

Not every woman can or wants to breastfeed.
    Last edited by Tgo01; 07-09-2018 at 07:52 AM.

Blog Entries

All the stories I've heard from people that use formula is that it's done with regret and shame. It's never a WANT not to breastfeed, it's usually just inability to, either because of a infant's inability to latch, or some other such cause. It's cheaper, and there are better health implications. It's kind of a no brainer.

I'm sure there are those that don't want to... But, I echo the points made so far.

>forage for snapdragon stalk
    d100(Open): -251
    You stumble about in a fruitless attempt at foraging.

1/6/2014: Setheve completes the promotion ritual and says, "Congratulations, Whirlin, for achieving Guild Master status! We trust you'll serve your guild well."
    1/11/2014: Grandmaster Alchemist
    1/14/2014: Capped, and got Loralaii killed by a GM.
    7/11/2016: Founded the Hand of the Arkati
    9/20/2016: T5 on my bow (Thanks to Isola)... Managed as far as T4 myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlin View Post
    All the stories I've heard from people that use formula is that it's done with regret and shame.
    So far from what I have read this is the US' official reasoning for not liking this particular resolution because it can be seen as shaming women who can't breastfeed.

Also I'm sure there are women who don't want to breastfeed. Baby formula is a multi billion dollar industry, it's unlikely that is from women who just can't breastfeed.

I guess it also depends on how we are defining "can't." Like she can't produce breast milk or she's on medication that prevents her from nursing, or "can't" as in she's too stressed out from work and family and other issues to also breastfeed a newborn. The latter could be seen as she doesn't want to breastfeed rather than she physically can't breastfeed.

Blog Entries

Most can and those that don't want to are stupid selfish bitches.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984