Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Official: The Future of Duskruin

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrom View Post
    I’m not sure where the idea has come that Duskruin will run indefinitely.

I call bullshit. My GOD do I call bullshit. No way in fucking hell they are pulling the plug on the community's most beloved cash cow without a backup plan. The amount of problems it would cause by ending it would cause the entire player base to riot and possibly doom the game. Funniest thing is this: the longer Duskruin goes on the HARDER it will be to end it because the community will become even more invested in the event.

I'm happy I stopped playing. I can't stand how focused on sumicoin events the game is now.
    Need a way to plan your stats and skills for Gemstone IV? Download my character planner!

Newest Version: v2.6.5 (Released 12/13/2018)
    Hymore Character Planner Topic at Player's Corner
    Hymore Character Planner: Releases
    Hymore Character Planner: Source Code

Quote Originally Posted by AnOrdim View Post
    What could they have done differently? Microtransactions starting with cosmetic only or light mechanical. Houses, houses, houses, house upgrades, workshops, storage, premium house upgrades, customized spell effects, double and triple down on the progress made on those fronts. Next to earning exp and getting stronger, playing barbie is a huge part of the game. Customizing and creating unique and storied characters. Having shops open all the time that sell tokens for GM time. This would pay the GM doing work and profit going to Simutronics. This should help spur development that can then start building those projects to give players a way to improve items, even slowly, over time. You could then start offering items for sale that improve artisan skills or guild skills or class skills that improve items. Instead of selling the items directly, you sell the stuff that offers a reduction in aggrivation of creating those items, you sell shortcuts, not the destination.
    This. And it should have been a massive no brainer for Simu, considering how many hoops people will jump through to customize their character with every little detail that they're going for and the depth that text based customization offers that's impossible with graphical games. They could throw a bunch of shit like that in the Simucoin store and they would make a killing.

Look at Overwatch. A full priced AAA game and they make shitloads of money selling loot crates that only have cosmetic rewards via skins and all that. And on top of that, it's a first person shooter so you can't even see yourself in your cool new outfit 99% of the time. Kind of like buying rims for your car - everyone but you gets to see them.

A text game not offering the same thing only reinforces how stupid the people running it from the top are.

The rarity of high end combat items added a lot to the game itself too. Not just with taking your character out to kill stuff, but just the "lore" of the game itself. How many other games do you hear people talk about unique legendary items like Jesh's blade, Kree's spirit draining sword, Tedra's claidhmore collection, Thalior's staff, etc. None of those items would mean shit if P2W existed back then. Now Simu is just being a whore with no shame and eventually everyone will have 10x claidhmores that give handjobs while you're resting.

Nobody ever sees an item in WoW and is like "Oh wow, that X item is amazing tell me the story of how you got it!" Those conversations are more like, "What boss drops that? Cool thanks. LFR need X item from 3rd boss."

Simu is doing all that shit backwards. A text based fantasy roleplaying game with nearly infinite cosmetic customization opportunities, and they decide to sell swords and shit instead, at the expense of the actual in game economy even, despite the fact that you'll never "need" anything more than 4x vanilla gear to hunt at any level, if even that. Even something as simple as selling GALD scrolls for $5-10 or whatever would likely make a killing and the game itself wouldn't have to suffer and you wouldn't be pissing all your customers off with this bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Necro View Post
    What Methais actually said is spot on. If you don't like the current trajectory of the game just boycott (ESPECIALLY the whales who Wyrom seems to be targetting).

The thing is Methais is proposing this out of self interest and not out of some 'love of the game' crap. If Simu does remove the soft selling of items for RL dollars (aka simucoin events) then silvers would jump straight back up to 8 or 9 bucks a pop.
    Not really, and I still don't get what your nonstop butthurt over me is rooted in, but ok.

I don't depend on the money I make from selling silvers for anything, I usually just toss it into savings for a rainy day.

The biggest reason I sell silvers is because there's nothing I really want in game that can be acquired with them, and I'm not paying Simu cash for items and reinforcing this racket they're forcing on us. I won't even upgrade to a Premium sub not because I can't afford it, but because it's simply not worth it to me for what you get. I don't need anymore combat gear, as between my runestaff and my armor, the only time I really die is to some insta-gib bullshit like implosion or major ewave, I don't give a shit about enhancives, don't give a shit about having lockers full of fluff to play dress up with, etc.

Only a moron would sit on silvers like that knowing there's nothing they find interesting to spend them on. The price of silvers could hit 0 tomorrow and I'd still be playing because I still like the community, what's left of it anyway, and the combat system, despite how gay Estild's wizard nerfs were. I would also still hate the direction Simu is taking the game in with P2W and ruining the in game economy.

TLDR: Wrong, try again.
    Last edited by Methais; 01-09-2018 at 07:07 PM.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    racket
    Sadly it won't be the lack of customers that shuts down Gemstone, it will be them getting caught up in a class action lawsuit that bankrupts SIMU. If not a class action lawsuit, it will be the excise taxes, permits and government overlook that kills them. The government won't continue to allow these companies to feed peoples addictions without getting a slice of the pie.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GM Wyrom (via the EO)
    There will be a lot of fun to be had at Duskruin. If we didn’t care about the experience, we’d just run the same thing every single time and not stress about the commitment to make new things.I don’t think I said Duskruin would run indefinitely 2 times a year, but in case I did, that was because that was what I was told. I also didn’t think we’d get to change the schedule and untether the event from the month it ran. This is a good thing, because we can deliver a lot more now. We’re still running Duskruin, because we know it’s an enjoyed event. We also know many of you have invested into it. We’re just giving the event some new life.

@Leafiara just so it’s clear, the full event is not talking about shops. Bloodriven Village will be open at every event. As for your second concern, that’s both great to hear how you feel about the arena and helpful to know what part worries you. To give you a little bit of a sneak peek, each run (February, June, and December) will have more than just one activity. I’ll post more on the official forums just so we keep information centralized.

@horibu It’s not fishing.
    ]Let me go into some story time real quick. I know some of my posts have been under the microscope and there are a few people challenging everything I say. Duskruin was birthed from GM Scrimge’s idea of an event that was centered around arena fighting. I had just came off of watching Spartacus on Starz and was all about that Blood and Sand! I decided to take lead on the mechanics because I had a lot of success with the Necropolis. While not a dungeon crawl, the combat mechanics had a lot in common. GM Scrimge ended up leaving us for awhile during Duskruin’s creation, so it became my project.

Duskruin originally had 3 parts. Bloodgames, Champions of the Arena, and the Sanguine Bazaar. Only the Bloodgames have really run (that’s just the arena that you all do). The Sanguine Bazaar got cannibalized into the High-End Scrip Shop. The Champions of the Arena was retired due to the arena mechanics being revamped entirely. Yes, I laid out the groundwork for Duskruin. It’s mostly my brain child, but I don’t call the shots on how often we run events (that goes beyond Duskruin). I just made something that worked really well. There is a lot that I’d love to do. The Bank Heist is something I’ve talked about for a long time, and it’s still slated to be released, but this is a perfect example of working on something I want to do versus working on something I’m told to do. Moonshard Warriors is another example where I had a creative difference, but ultimately that is what we ended up with. My plan was for something called Celestial Champions. At the end of the day, I do what I’m told to do though, even if I don’t agree with it. The end result was still something I think you all enjoyed. GM Haliste and I came up with the moving parts, but the pendants weren’t our original idea.

The original credits for Duskruin can be found here though:

The original design concept was created by GM Scrimge and arena/sewer mechanics were by GM Wyrom. GMs Haliste, Keios, Liia, Luneth, Scrimge, Reidyn, Valyrka, and Wyrom all created shops. GMs Haliste, Liia, Mazreth, Scrimge, and Wyrom all had a hand in painting the area. GMs Aulis, Haliste, Kaikala, Krellis, Sherlise, Spalt, and Vanah were huge helps with QC and testing, as well as various last minute needs to help get this out.
    The event has grown quite a bit. I’m glad many enjoy it. It’s nice to create something that both works for the players and the company. I wish it didn’t come with such controversy. There is no hidden agenda. There is no double talk. No one is killing the event, if anything, the event is a complete manifestation of player requests. Events in GemStone have always offered these sort of things. I literally manage three decades of expectations in the three years I’ve been in this position.
    I really hope Wyrom realizes there's nothing he can say or do that'll stop the complaining.
    Last edited by Fallen; 01-09-2018 at 10:52 PM.
    Vote for Gemstone Once a Day at The Mud Connection & Top Mud Sites

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
    I really hope Wyrom realizes there's nothing he can say or do that'll stop the complaining.
    I have met really nice heroin dealers too and junkies love their smack.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    ― George Orwell, 1984

― George Orwell, 1984

I guess Haliste finally put her foot down and said she didn't want to be thrown to the wolves about posting bullshit. Wyrom, the good soldier, takes up the mantle and fights back against the player base. How dare they go against what "the powers that be" have in store. Wyrom is just caught up ine gears of the machine, a victim of circumstance, no power to change anything! The blight of Wyrom, "just doing his job".

Also, that list sure does look like more than the "we have a dedicated group of event GMs"...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AnOrdim View Post
    I guess Haliste finally put her foot down and said she didn't want to be thrown to the wolves about posting bullshit. Wyrom, the good soldier, takes up the mantle and fights back against the player base. How dare they go against what "the powers that be" have in store. Wyrom is just caught up ine gears of the machine, a victim of circumstance, no power to change anything! The blight of Wyrom, "just doing his job".

Also, that list sure does look like more than the "we have a dedicated group of event GMs"...
    My favorite part "I literally manage three decades of expectations in the three years I’ve been in this position."

Basically it translates to "Yea I know we just took your money for the past 30 years and let the game go to shit, but this time it's for reals! Trust me."

::adds more slot machine style games::

― George Orwell, 1984

― George Orwell, 1984

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
    There would be less complaining if he'd stop with the 'Simu's intentions are as pure as the driven snow' schtick. Dude drank a gallon of Kool-Aid then went off the deep end of a pool full of Kool-Aid.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    There would be less complaining if he'd stop with the 'Simu's intentions are as pure as the driven snow' schtick. Dude drank a gallon of Kool-Aid then went off the deep end of a pool full of Kool-Aid.
    I don't think "I'd rather be working on X, but Shartley and Shartfront are stupid assholes and making me do Y and Z instead." would go over very well. I'd buy at least 17 Simucoins if I saw a post like that though just to show support for it.

If I were Wyrom, I'd start replacing "Simu" in that context with "GameMasters" because the GMs are the ones who give actual fucks about the game, even the ones who have a bunch of piece of shit garbage ass ideas that make things suck like Estild with wizards, while management are just a bunch of out of touch distended dickholes who couldn't give two shits about anything other than what the numbers on the quarterly report or whatever says. The GMs' intentions might be "pure", but Simu's, not so much.

And since GMs are considered independent contractors instead of normal employees, it's not an inaccurate statement.

GMs = care about GS
    Simu = doesn't give a flying fuck

Regardless, if people don't like the direction the game is being taken in, they need to either get some self control and stop going to the cash grab events until they come up with something better that doesn't fuck the game itself over, or shut the fuck up with all the complaining about the direction of the game. Which won't happen because GS has one of the dumbest player bases around. Take that $1000 you were going to spend on DR for a text sword and buy some toys for your 67 cats or something.
    Last edited by Methais; 01-10-2018 at 11:45 AM.
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.

Quote Originally Posted by Necro View Post
    #EstildDidNothingWrong

But seriously what the fuck is up with Estild and he's pathologic need to nerf every fucking spell in the game.
    Some GMs still don't get it. Estild is one of them.