Thread: Brett Kavanaugh

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    confidential fact finding investigation
    What does that mean exactly?

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    What does that mean exactly?
    I think it's code for- I'll talk to the FBI, but I'm not interested in testifying publicly.

I don't see how Susan Collins- who was *just* calling for the committee to have him testify- can, knowing he's offering to talk, vote to move forward.

But she's Collins. So who knows?

3. Default

I think it's code for- I'll talk to the FBI, but I'm not interested in testifying publicly.

I don't see how Susan Collins- who was *just* calling for the committee to have him testify- can, knowing he's offering to talk, vote to move forward.

But she's Collins. So who knows?
    At this point it's too late I think. The committee vote is tomorrow then the confirmation vote is Saturday I believe.

It's really shameful.
    It is really shameful how your party has come to rely on unsubstantiated, 11th hour sexual abuse allegations to try and push their their agenda and how this had become a pattern now.
    I asked for neither your Opinion,
    your Acceptance
    nor your Permission.

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." Dante Alighieri 3
    "It took 2000 mules to install one Jackass." Diamond and Silk Watch the Movie

Very. But he got extremely partisan, and coming across as angry was a bad way to show that he's not the kind of guy who would sexually assault someone.

And the fact that he continues to refuse to call for an FBI investigation is really rough for his credibility at the end of the day. In the group of three accusers and the one accused, he's still the only one who isn't eager for the FBI to get involved.

His best bet right now is to hope that the Democrats either come across as bullying, or that they're so taken aback by his emotional testimony that they give the impression that they believe him in an effort to not come across as such.

I'm not sure what Mitchell has in store, but I doubt she really has much to offer for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardCranium View Post
    I'm not sure what T&P is so it probably isn't me. I've come across a few other RC's over the years though.
    Terrence & Phillip

Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ~Rocktar~ View Post
    It is really shameful how your party has come to rely on unsubstantiated, 11th hour sexual abuse allegations to try and push their their agenda and how this had become a pattern now.
    Literally all they asked for was an FBI investigation- which is what they have done in EVERY other situation where new information like this has come to light for a nominee.

So just stop with your fever dreams. All anyone asked for was an impartial investigation, and Republicans refuse to do it.

And Kavanaugh looked terrified every time it was brought up. If this were *anything* other than sexual assault, everyone would agree that's a bad sign.
    Last edited by time4fun; 09-27-2018 at 11:53 PM.

There are many good reasons to support the nomination of a qualified judge who is committed to a textualist interpretation of the Constitution to the Supreme Court. Over time, such an approach may return the question of abortion to the states, where it belongs given the Constitution’s silence on the matter, and where a more just and moral outcome than is currently possible under Roe v. Wade may be achieved. Restoring such a morally complex question to the deliberation of legislators rather than judges may also bring the country closer to a time when confirmation hearings can truly focus on the character and qualifications of the nominee rather than serving as proxy battles over every contentious issue in U.S. politics.
    We continue to support the nomination of judges according to such principles—but Judge Kavanaugh is not the only such nominee available. For the good of the country and the future credibility of the Supreme Court in a world that is finally learning to take reports of harassment, assault and abuse seriously, it is time to find a nominee whose confirmation will not repudiate that lesson.

This is from an American Jesuit magazine which is now no longer supporting Kavanaugh's nomination. Won't have any effect on anything but good for them for speaking out.

https://www.americamagazine.org/poli...n-be-withdrawn

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    At this point it's too late I think. The committee vote is tomorrow then the confirmation vote is Saturday I believe.
    Probably.

The ABA just weighed in with a pretty intense letter calling on the committee to halt the process for an FBI investigation. It's unclear how much weight that holds, but, candidly, that's a cringe-worthy stain for any Judge to have on their record.

Refusing an FBI investigation is damaging to everyone's reputation right now- including Kavanaugh's.

Literally all they asked for was an FBI investigation- which is what they have done in EVERY other situation where new information like this has come to light for a nominee.
    You mean all they asked for was yet another stalling tactic 2 months after they knew about the allegations?

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cwolff View Post
    This is from an American Jesuit magazine which is now no longer supporting Kavanaugh's nomination. Won't have any effect on anything but good for them for speaking out.

https://www.americamagazine.org/poli...n-be-withdrawn
    It's not likely, but this could affect Flake.

Having said that, I find it incredibly unlikely that the GOP would have agreed to go through with the meeting tomorrow if they weren't at least pretty sure they have Flake's vote- though Grassley left open the possibility they wouldn't actually hold the vote tomorrow. (That seems more like a reflexive safety valve thing than anything else though)