Thread: new error message when trying to DL from the repo

Default new error message when trying to DL from the repo

Hi All,

Lich and eveything was working fine on this computer until the end of last week when i started getting this error when trying to DL from the repo:

>;repo list-updates
    --- Lich: repository active.
    [repository: error connecting to server: SSL_connect returned=1 errno=0 state=SSLv3 read server certificate B: certificate verify failed]

any advice on how I can correct this?

p.s. Lnet has stopped working as well.

this pops up when trying to connect to Lnet

[lnet: SSL_connect returned=1 errno=0 state=SSLv3 read server certificate B: certificate verify failed]
    lnet:117:in `connect'
    lnet:117:in `connect'
    [lnet: NilClass is not a valid input stream. It must walk
    like either a String, an IO, or a Source.]
    C:/Ruby200/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rexml/source.rb:22:in `create_from'
    C:/Ruby200/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rexml/parsers/baseparser.rb:127:in `stream='
    [lnet: connection lost]
    [lnet: waiting 299 seconds before trying to reconnect...]
    Last edited by Khelbaen; 08-01-2016 at 01:54 PM.

What date is your computer set to?

date displays as the correct one, its a work computer so unsure if there is some trickyness in the background.

bump...might anyone have any ideas? It sucks not being able to DL anything new from the repo...

5. Default

Since it's a work computer, it might be that your workplace is launching an evil man-in-the-middle attack on you! It's actually pretty common, or so I hear. They install their own SSL certificate to be trusted by the OS and browsers on all the work computers, which allows some device on the network to decrypt and re-encrypt all the "secure" traffic so that they can spy on your connection and enforce IT policy and whatnot. Since Lich ignores the systems certificates and only trusts the one I gave it, the connection fails (as it should since it's a man-in-the-middle attack). This all assumes the work computer is actually at work on their network. I assume that you can see if this is the case by going to lichproject.org and see if the certificate is verified by StartCom. If it's verified by someone else, or if there's more than three certificates in the chain, I'd say this is the problem.

If not, did you check the year when you checked the date?

If it's not that, what version of the lnet and repository scripts do you have? Current versions should be 1.6 for lnet and 2.31 for repository. You can find the version by opening the scripts with a text editor. It'll be in the comment near the top.
    Get Lich - Vote for Gemstone (topmudsites.com)

you nailed it Tillmen...guess they finally got someone in IT who knows what they are doing.

7. Default

If you want to work around this, you can probably replace the ca_cert variable near the top of both scripts with their certificate. I'm not sure if both their certificate and my certificate need to be in the script, but if so that can be done by using another variable and another cert_store.add_cert(other_variable). Of course, this means they get to read everything you say on lnet, and worse, everything everyone else says on lnet. I accept no blame if you get fired because of something Jeril says or... you know... because you're playing a game instead of working!

You could probably get around this this with a SSH tunnel for VPN too, if those aren't blocked.

is there a website or shared google drive where I can DL repo scripts without having to use ;repo download?

I don't know the answer to that question, but Tillmen was onto something with that VPN comment. Take a look at https://airvpn.org/

They have some interesting options for people with problems such as yours. Not only can you set up SSH tunnels with one touch of a key (which are likely blocked if you have competent IT people), but they also have a relatively unique ability to set up a port 443 SSL tunnel, which is significantly more problematic for people to block. Basically, your computer will set up a secure connection to their server over the same port that HTTPS uses, and then inside of that secure connection, establish the VPN.

In theory, that would completely solve your problem. If you buy a years subscription, its about 5 bucks a month. You can buy a three day trial for a buck to see if it works.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Khelbaen View Post
    is there a website or shared google drive where I can DL repo scripts without having to use ;repo download?
    No.