Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hurling - best returner...

Question Hurling - best returner...

So if I can ever afford it, I would like to buy a returner for my mutant PURE hurling ranger. He currently uses a 4x bandolier, but I wanted something more beefy and blessable to compliment any gaps from my bandolier. Since handaxes have alot of limitations in terms of crit table (yah I wish i could get my hands on a spear bandolier, but good f-ing luck) and likely wont work well against heavier armor, I thought I could fill that gap with a returner. Also, perhaps I could use the returner as an opener, like taking out the legs or something like this.

Any ideas? I'd like to hear from those who have experience with hurling, as my knowledge is, admittedly, still limited.
    Last edited by nocturnix; 08-04-2017 at 01:05 PM.

I don't have much for problems with handaxes as returners. They do pretty well vs all armor types. They are the most available type of returner other than perhaps chakrams and discus, and those are only good vs lightly armored foes. Also, returners are far better than bandoliers. They're less hassle and can be improved and therefore have been. Good luck trying to improve a bandolier. The alternative is probably a hammer. Also good, but not quite as many of them around.
    I don't use Lich. If you want to do business with me, contact me via PM, IG, or on AIM. Or maybe use smoke signals. Don't like it, get off of my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Archigeek View Post
    I don't have much for problems with handaxes as returners. They do pretty well vs all armor types. They are the most available type of returner other than perhaps chakrams and discus, and those are only good vs lightly armored foes. Also, returners are far better than bandoliers. They're less hassle and can be improved and therefore have been. Good luck trying to improve a bandolier. The alternative is probably a hammer. Also good, but not quite as many of them around.
    Thanks Archigeek, A hammer sounds kind of cool. Would that be warhammer base? (ohb)?

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnix View Post
    Thanks Archigeek, A hammer sounds kind of cool. Would that be warhammer base? (ohb)?
    Yes. They are cool, and there are a few really outstanding returning hammers out there.
    I don't use Lich. If you want to do business with me, contact me via PM, IG, or on AIM. Or maybe use smoke signals. Don't like it, get off of my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Archigeek View Post
    Yes. They are cool, and there are a few really outstanding returning hammers out there.
    What is an example of a really cool returning hammer?

And also, does the returner script affect player-enchantability?

There's a god auction Chakram (Xena's circle throwy weapon) that hits everything in the room and returns to the user. I forgot what it's called exactly, possibly Ardwen would know more.

As I understand it from my talks with Roblar, (consume with salt) the SCRIPT spot does not block enchanting/blessing. These would include returner, splitter, knockout, a couple others, and nervestaffs (though nervestaffs sold at duskruin have an acuity flare in the FLARE spot, which WILL block enchanting/blessing.) I'll try to find a link.

EDIT
    https://gswiki.play.net/Item_properties

So this doesn't seem to clarify about player enchant ability, but I do feel it implies that what i said is correct.
    Last edited by Ososis; 08-04-2017 at 02:56 PM.
    "Hi, my name is Ososis and I'm blaming my shitty life for being such a fragile, soy drinking, emotionally unstable loser. My triggers are: Red reputation, ANY mention of MacGuyver and being called a fragile, soy drinking, emotionally unstable loser."

Quote Originally Posted by Ososis View Post
    As I understand it from my talks with Roblar, (consume with salt) the SCRIPT spot does not block enchanting/blessing. These would include returner, splitter, knockout, a couple others, and nervestaffs (though nervestaffs sold at duskruin have an acuity flare in the FLARE spot, which WILL block enchanting/blessing.) I'll try to find a link.
    Yes, that is what I thought.

I just want to know which perfect weapon base to keep handy in case one day I get lucky as hell and won "make a weapon a returner". Then I can always enchant it up later to improve it.
    Last edited by nocturnix; 08-04-2017 at 02:53 PM.

Returners script do not interfere with player enchanting along with a lot of other combat weapon and item scripts.

That's the nice thing about returners for enchanting purposes.

I pondered rolling a ranger to try camo with my chronomage daggers since they are the only returner that allows you to stay hidden in attempts at retaining that nice hidden bonus but never got around to it
    Last edited by Gizmo; 08-04-2017 at 02:55 PM.

My experience is fairly limited, but I am a fan of spears for throwing. Lots of puncture, relatively good DFs, very fast speed. They do have some downsides; the training threshold is higher (poles/thrown/brawl), they are in pretty darn limited supply and seem to be expensive.

Chain spears are fairly attainable but have the extra retract roundtime and can only be thrown in the one handed form.

Spear bando's are also out there, as you mentioned above.

I'm not sure on the total number of returning/stringed spears, but I get the feeling it is fairly small.