Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey look GS4 got a mention

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    I think monks aren't allowed under F2P, so there is that.
    Wait is that true?

Blog Entries

I think it is hard to say anything is P2W in GS because there isn't really shit to win. Don't mistake it, EA wishes they could have Simu's business model on a far larger scale. Yearly pay festivals? Selling fluff private houses for a grand? Marriages for $200? I mean, EA sells some weapon skins and people go ballistic.
    They weren't always just weapon skins though. EA lootboxes when you leveled may contain gun unlocks and other things, some of which were just flat out better.

The biggest difference is the lack of binding items and characters. In any EA game, if your friend has an Awesome Gun of +8 that he doesn't use because he won the lootbox lottery and found an Awesome Gun of +9. That Awesome Gun of +8 is sitting on his account forever, utilized. And if you're playing against him with your peashooter -60, you're going to have a bad time. In Gemstone, that Awesome Gun of +8 be sold/transferred/etc... Some items may be introduced by a pay mechanic, but anything purchased via the pay mechanic can *usually* be transferred (exception being private properties).

>forage for snapdragon stalk
    d100(Open): -251
    You stumble about in a fruitless attempt at foraging.

1/6/2014: Setheve completes the promotion ritual and says, "Congratulations, Whirlin, for achieving Guild Master status! We trust you'll serve your guild well."
    1/11/2014: Grandmaster Alchemist
    1/14/2014: Capped, and got Loralaii killed by a GM.
    7/11/2016: Founded the Hand of the Arkati
    9/20/2016: T5 on my bow (Thanks to Isola)... Managed as far as T4 myself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlin View Post
    They weren't always just weapon skins though. EA lootboxes when you leveled may contain gun unlocks and other things, some of which were just flat out better.

The biggest difference is the lack of binding items and characters. In any EA game, if your friend has an Awesome Gun of +8 that he doesn't use because he won the lootbox lottery and found an Awesome Gun of +9. That Awesome Gun of +8 is sitting on his account forever, utilized. And if you're playing against him with your peashooter -60, you're going to have a bad time. In Gemstone, that Awesome Gun of +8 be sold/transferred/etc... Some items may be introduced by a pay mechanic, but anything purchased via the pay mechanic can *usually* be transferred (exception being private properties).
    Except for those bound weapons and private homes. EA may have more bound shit, but GS is ahead of them in a lot of other shit. I imagine the only reason EA binds most of its shit is because they don't want a cash resell market, like what we have here. I'm actually surprised Simu doesn't have loot boxes yet, but when I think about it, Droughtman's was basically one lootbox at a time.
    Last edited by Gelston; 07-10-2018 at 03:40 PM.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    I don't know what to tell you. The definition for p2w that I used is a widely accepted and repeated one. What you're describing is 'pay to progress', and is something a lot of true f2p games do.

You're doing a lot of uncharacteristic Simudefense here, Methais. Goatse twice if you've been kidnapped and Whatley has a gun to your head.
    Your definition is probably the more "correct" definition, I'm not really disputing that.

And don't get me wrong, I hate Simu's entire microtransaction model and thinks it's stupid as fuck and a giant ripoff for what you get and that 99% of the people running the show are dumbasses. I just don't think any of it, with maybe some exceptions, gives someone that noticeable of an advantage over someone else for anything in regards to character advancement other than stroking one's epeen, even if you could win GS.

If someone finishes a hunt 2 minutes quicker because of their new P2W sword, I guess that would technically count, but someone paying $5000 just to finish a hunt 2 minutes earlier or for some fancy looking flares or whatever is also a dumbass and are part of the problem encouraging more of this bullshit.

Either way, I wouldn't put Simu on EA's level, at least not yet. I won't be surprised if/when they reach that point, I just don't think they're there yet.
    Last edited by Methais; 07-10-2018 at 03:47 PM.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Blog Entries

Except for those bound weapons and private homes. EA may have more bound shit, but GS is ahead of them in a lot of other shit. I imagine the only reason EA binds most of its shit is because they don't want a cash resell market, like what we have here. I'm actually surprised Simu doesn't have loot boxes yet, but when I think about it, Droughtman's was basically one lootbox at a time.
    What bound weapons?

1/6/2014: Setheve completes the promotion ritual and says, "Congratulations, Whirlin, for achieving Guild Master status! We trust you'll serve your guild well."

Blog Entries

What bound weapons?
    "pure" coraesine is an example.

Blog Entries

"pure" coraesine is an example.
    Those were sold for simucoins directly?

Blog Entries

Those were sold for simucoins directly?
    They came from a pay event.

Blog Entries

They came from a pay event.
    And there's no other way to get into the event? No other way to get simucoins other than paying cash for them?

Blog Entries

And there's no other way to get into the event? No other way to get simucoins other than paying cash for them?
    I believe the events that had these out didn't use simucoins yet for them. I see what you're getting at, but even with the "free" simucoin grants you are still paying a sub to get them. This is a common theme among most MMOs.

I'm not saying it is a bad thing, I'm not saying it is good. I'm saying it takes more money than "free".