Page 76 of 1672 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778861261765761076 ... LastLast

Thread: Things that made you laugh today (Political Version)

Quote Originally Posted by Tenlaar View Post
    Disregarding that it is, in fact, a statue honoring a traitor against the United States, how about lumping it in as being part of the rampant addition of these "memorials" all throughout the south during times of pushback against black people having rights?

We could talk about what else was happening in Virginia around the time that statue was erected. Just on the actual state government level there was the Racial Integrity Act (and not long after, the "one drop" law) and the Public Assemblages act. It's not a coincidence that so many "reminders" of the Confederacy popped up in places at the same times that people felt white racial superiority was especially threatened...
    Don't misconstrue what I'm trying to say - I don't personally believe we should be honoring confederate generals any more than confederate flags should fly from federal buildings,. I'm just saying that to call Lee an outright racist in the same way a neo-nazi is isn't correct.
    Last edited by Pin; 08-16-2017 at 02:23 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SHAFT View Post
    I believe Nazi's and racists should remain hidden. When they do show on public, I expect people to counter-protest and if the Nazi's get their asses kicked, im ok with it. In fact I encourage it.
    I'm fine with counter protests. Violence? No, that leads to lawlessness. Then people feel perfectly justified driving cars into groups of people. It would only start escalating from there.
    Last edited by Gelston; 08-16-2017 at 02:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pin View Post
    Not sure where you're getting this from, nor how the US teaches the holocaust relevant.
    Not sure why you're even bringing up the Holocaust then.

This makes it ok for us to pretend we don't have one as well then?
    Again, where do you get the idea that we pretend we don't have racists in this country? We literally allow them to march up and down streets so everyone can be aware of them.

Contrast this to Germany and most of Europe where such a thing would never be tolerated, where you can be jailed for owning certain paraphernalia or denying the Holocaust.
    Last edited by Tgo01; 08-16-2017 at 02:26 AM.

Tgo, these tweets were both put out today after trump's press conference. Forget everything that was said prior to today. His words made the current faces of the KKK and white nationalists feel this way today:

This is not fake news. This happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    I'm fine with counter protests. Violence? No, that leads to lawlessness. Then people feel perfectly justified driving cars into groups of people. It would only start escalating from there.
    You and I will have to disagree here, than. A club upside a Nazi's head is well-deserving. Especially if you're brazen to not wear your hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    Not sure why you're even bringing up the Holocaust then.
    After going back and rereading a comment you made I realize I miss interpreted it - my fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    Again, where do you get the idea that we pretend we don't have racists in this country? We literally allow them to march up and down streets so everyone can be aware of them.

Contrast this to Germany and most of Europe where such a thing would never be tolerated, where you can be jailed for owning certain paraphernalia or denying the Holocaust.
    I wouldn't say we pretend they don't exist, but, we do seem to have a problem where we rationalize their behavior instead of calling it what it is.

Don't misconstrue what I'm trying to say - I don't personally believe we should be honoring confederate generals any more than confederate flags should fly from federal buildings,. I'm just saying that to call Lee an outright racist in the same way a neo-nazi is isn't correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert E. Lee
    In this enlightened age, there are few I believe, but what will acknowledge, that slavery as an institution, is a moral & political evil in any Country. It is useless to expatiate on its disadvantages. I think it however a greater evil to the white man than to the black race, & while my feelings are strongly enlisted in behalf of the latter, my sympathies are more strong for the former. The blacks are immeasurably better off here than in Africa, morally, socially & physically. The painful discipline they are undergoing, is necessary for their instruction as a race, & I hope will prepare & lead them to better things. How long their subjugation may be necessary is known & ordered by a wise Merciful Providence.
    Robert E. Lee was a "kinder racist" than most, but but somebody who believed black people were better off enslaved and that it was somehow bettering them as a people was absolutely an outright racist.

Robert E. Lee was a "kinder racist" than most, but but somebody who believed black people were better off enslaved and that it was somehow bettering them as a people was absolutely an outright racist.
    I will concede that saying blacks are better off as slaves in America is cringe worthy (and obviously wrong), and in 2017 - is flat out racist. But, given the era and location in which he lived - he sounds downright progressive. Don't forget, it's not the like north was a bastion of racial tolerance at the time either.

Edit to add:

I'm not even trying to insinuate that he should have monuments erected to him, or that he is some sort of noble symbol we should all aspire too.
    Last edited by Pin; 08-16-2017 at 02:38 AM.

Blog Entries

Should Thomas Jefferson and George Washington be on our money then?

Quote Originally Posted by SHAFT View Post
    Tgo, these tweets were both put out today after trump's press conference. Forget everything that was said prior to today. His words made the current faces of the KKK and white nationalists feel this way today:

This is not fake news. This happened.
    Left: Doesn't matter if Trump denounced Nazis and the KKK! He still sides with them!

Nazis and KKK: Doesn't matter if Trump denounces us! He still sides with us!

And yet I'm somehow the non-normal one here.