Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crit Padding KP Article

Default Crit Padding KP Article

Every so often someone asks how crit padding works. Everyone else then tells them to use the search function here. I haven't really been able to find a comprehensive post/thread discussing it start to finish and the krakiipedia article was shameful so I completed it:

http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Padd...itical_Padding

I just want to make sure I got it right. My major concerns are:
    (1) Does the injury rank formula use a truncate or round? From what I've seen, people indicate that it's a truncation.
    (2) What is the story with the crit damage/padding chart at the bottom with no numbers? Is that table real, meaningful, useful, etc?
    (3) How many points of weighting does a standard claidhmore have? Is there a difference between new style and old style or is it just DF/AvD?

If anyone can post any falsehoods I've introduced on the critical padding section, I'll go through and fix the article and then no one will ever have to clarify it again. My intention is to do the same for the critical weighting articles.

I haven't even read the other sections of the article so I have no idea what it's about. If I need to make any errata, I'll clean anything up that has to do with crit padding. I don't know the mechanics behind the other types of padding so I'm leaving it alone.

Nice work.

Might clarify the accessories portion. You say:

"Padded armor used in conjunction with spiked or flaring armor accessories halves the effectiveness of the critical padding in the region covered by the accessory. For example, if flaring leg greaves are worn over heavily crit padded hauberk with 10 points of padding, the legs will effectively have 5 points of critical padding (somewhat crit padded) while the rest of the body will have the full 10 points of padding."

But what if the armor itself is spiked, with padded accessories? Still halved? I don't know the answer there.

If the armor is flared, then putting an accessory on top will stop the flares in that section.

Answers to your questions:
    1) Not sure
    2) It's the chart Warden posted. Numbers added to it would be useful.
    3) 40 points, I think. Difference between old and new-style is base and AvD, yep.
    My current items for sale or trade: Treasures in the Brambles.

Quote Originally Posted by DaCapn View Post
    (2) What is the story with the crit damage/padding chart at the bottom with no numbers? Is that table real, meaningful, useful, etc?
    (3) How many points of weighting does a standard claidhmore have? Is there a difference between new style and old style or is it just DF/AvD?
    Table comes from:

http://www.play.net/forums/messages....1&message=1915

Shows claids level. Point spread ain' decided, yet.

- Smythe
    Last edited by Smythe; 09-07-2009 at 06:10 PM. Reason: changed https to http

"Rank injury" is not a good term to use, because that's been used in the past to refer to the level of injury (0-3). Rank crit or rank critical is a better term.

HCP does not always subtract 10 points. The asterisk notation makes no sense: the column to the left shows that the crit rank would be greater than 1, so the HCP example would also be 1. I would get rid of that whole chart.

The table at the bottom is essentially a reprint of the table in the upper right corner of the article, the two should be consolidated.

"The typically cited rule-of-thumb is that a set of HCP armor is slightly less effective than unpadded armor of the armor group above it."

I would also take this statement out. Convention is no substitute for numbers, and the numbers do not back up that statement.

The formula does truncate - take a claidhmore and see what the lowest endroll is you need to get the wham effect: it will be at raw damage = crit divisor, not raw damage = half of crit divisor.

edit: In case it's not clear, I'm not trying to bust your balls here. I'm looking at this with a scientist's eye.
    Last edited by Latrinsorm; 09-07-2009 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BriarFox View Post
    Might clarify the accessories portion. You say:

"Padded armor used in conjunction with spiked or flaring armor accessories halves the effectiveness of the critical padding in the region covered by the accessory. For example, if flaring leg greaves are worn over heavily crit padded hauberk with 10 points of padding, the legs will effectively have 5 points of critical padding (somewhat crit padded) while the rest of the body will have the full 10 points of padding."

But what if the armor itself is spiked, with padded accessories? Still halved? I don't know the answer there.
    If padded accessories are worn over padded armor, the highest of the two is applied if the type of padding is the same (i.e. crit on crit), or both padding levels are halved if they are different (i.e. damage on crit). If an accessory has more than one property, the padding of the base armor is still only halved--it does not receive multiple penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by droit View Post
    If padded accessories are worn over padded armor, the highest of the two is applied if the type of padding is the same (i.e. crit on crit), or both padding levels are halved if they are different (i.e. damage on crit). If an accessory has more than one property, the padding of the base armor is still only halved--it does not receive multiple penalties.
    Doesn't really answer the question, though, Droit. What if the armor's spiked and the accessories are hcp, for instance?

I'm pretty sure it would halve the padding on the accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by droit View Post
    I'm pretty sure it would halve the padding on the accessory.
    That was my initial thought, too, but then, the accessories cover up the spikes, so you get no benefit from them. It seems like it would make sense for the full padding to apply in that case.

Blog Entries

I have two items that fall into the new table of weighting padding. What we do know is that 30 points falls into the SUPERBLY padded area. I have an expertly crit weighted weapon, which someone had PCALCED (Khariz, I believe) and it fell in at 32? points. And masterfully has been known to be 20-24 pts. So the new chart should go something like this:

wondrous ?
    incredible ?
    fantastic 40-?
    phenomenal 35-39
    expert 30-34
    superb 25-29
    masterful 20-24
    exceptional 15-19
    very heavy 12-14
    heavy 9-11
    decent 7-8
    somewhat 5-6
    fairly 3-4
    lightly 1-2

I know that I said that 30 is superb but in the chart, I put superb only to 29. One of those standards is probably a point lower, but following logic, it should be something AROUND there. Hell, if it makes sense in Gemstone, somethings probably wrong.
    Last edited by WRoss; 09-09-2009 at 09:53 AM.
    2013 PC FF Champion

Ross#9505 on Discord

Thanks for the table fill-ins and info.