Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Alec Baldwin shooting

1. Default

I believe any charges against Baldwin were rightly dismissed (and not for misconduct). I would not expect an actor handed a loaded gun to clear the gun for live bullets, especially when the blanks and live bullets are not easily distinguished for an amature.

The armorer is the one who I think will be having a hard time of things (or did that already happen, I forget).
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/
    Click the link above to see how much you owe the government.

"Well I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black."
    -Superracist, Joe Biden

“If you don’t believe in free speech for people who you disagree with, and even hate for what they stand for, then you don’t believe in free speech.”
    -My favorite liberal

2. Default

Last edited by Furryrat; 07-15-2024 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage View Post
    I believe any charges against Baldwin were rightly dismissed (and not for misconduct). I would not expect an actor handed a loaded gun to clear the gun for live bullets, especially when the blanks and live bullets are not easily distinguished for an amature.

The armorer is the one who I think will be having a hard time of things (or did that already happen, I forget).
    I haven’t really followed the case but those are my thoughts as well. I don’t understand why any production company or armorer would ever allow live ammunition (not blanks but having actual bullets) on set. Actors are dumb as fuck and should be treated like children as it relates to prop guns on set. Unfortunately, I think Hollywood will overreact and it’s going to be nonfunctional replicas and airsoft guns in movies from now on.

In reading about the Alec Baldwin case, I stumbled on this video from what appears to be a reality show with Alec's brother, Stephen Baldwin. Stephen is the one wearing a cap in the video. The guy he's talking to gets sadder and sadder and sadder.

Due to the actions of the Santa Fe sheriff and prosecutor, who filed charges against Baldwin despite having knowledge of the “suppressed evidence,” the actor’s lawyers are now planning to sue both parties.

More...

Baldwin should thank his lucky stars that the prosecutor made a mistake. He should forget about suing and get on with his life.

It's not clear that the evidence in question would have swayed a jury one bit.

Two jurors in the Alec Baldwin trial gave interviews. If the other jurors shared their views, then it looks like Baldwin would have been acquitted. And the defense had not even begun its part of the trial when the case was dismissed.

"It was clearly an accident, and the idea that there’s anything purposeful, or the idea that there was this grave carelessness that caused this, didn’t seem realistic to me," Haag said.

Similarly, Picayo — a scientist who served as juror No. 9 — told the Times that as an actor, Baldwin should not have been expected to know a lot about gun safety, adding he instead should have trusted the experts on set.

“I think he would have trusted the people, you know, on the set to do their job," she said.

Picayo also reflected on finding out that Rust armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed was already convicted of involuntary manslaughter. “I’m still here, I’m still open to hearing and obviously trying to stay unbiased,” she said, “but I was starting to move towards the direction of thinking that this was very silly and he should not be on trial.”

More...

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeR View Post
    Two jurors in the Alec Baldwin trial gave interviews. If the other jurors shared their views, then it looks like Baldwin would have been acquitted. And the defense had not even begun its part of the trial when the case was dismissed.
    No one gives a fuck about any of this. Shut the fuck up.
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

The judge in Alec Baldwin's Rust criminal trial denied a motion from the prosecution to revive the case.

On Sept. 6, Judge Mary Marlowe Sommer responded after New Mexico special prosecutor Kari T. Morrissey's Aug. 30 request to reconsider the complete dismissal of the case against Baldwin, 66, that was made July 12.

In the ruling, Sommer noted that she was refusing to consider Morrissey's request because her recent motion exceeded a 10-page limit on briefs filed without obtaining permission to do so.

More...
    The Baldwin case should be taught in law schools as an example of how not to conduct a criminal prosecution. Let me count the ways..

• The state legislature appropriated money to be used to prosecute the case, and a member of the legislature was appointed as a special prosecutor in violation of New Mexico separation of powers rules. The special prosecutor had to resign.
    • The prosecutor charged Baldwin with several different gun-related crimes, including one that the legislature passed in response to this event. When Baldwin's attorneys pointed it out to the court, the prosecutor issued a public statement, instead of a court filing, about "celebrities with fancy attorneys." The charge had to be dismissed because, as everybody should have known, the U.S. Constitution prohibits ex post facto prosecutions.
    • The FBI destroyed the gun while testing it. Because of that destruction, Baldwin's experts never got a chance to inspect or test the gun in its condition at the time of ths shooting.
    • Reports that the gun had been altered from its original condition prior to being brought onto the set prompted the prosecutor to dismiss the charges.
    • The prosecutor later changed her mind and charged Baldwin a second time.
    • After the trial began and the jury had already begun listening to evidence, the judge dismissed the case, with prejudice, because of prosecutor misbehavior in failing to disclose relevant evidence to the defendant.
    • Now, in a filing in violation of a page-limit rule. the prosecutor asked the judge to reinstate the case. No doubt, the prosecutor will file a new motion that fits within the required page limits.

What about double jeopardy, another rule of the Constitution that everybody should know?

Even if the prosecution had been handled perfectly, it would still be a weak case. The central claim of the prosecution is that a movie star, who was supposed to pretend to shoot someone with a gun on a movie set, should have known that some of the bullets in the gun were real, even though a gun expert inspected it minutes before and told him it was safe. It's long past time to close the book on this case.

Thursday of last week, the judge in the Alec Baldwin case rejected the prosecutor's request to reinstate the charges against Baldwin. It was the correct decision.

SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — A New Mexico judge has upheld her decision to dismiss an involuntary manslaughter charge against Alec Baldwin in the fatal shooting of a cinematographer on the set of a Western movie.

More...
    Baldwin’s trial was upended by revelations that ammunition was brought into the Santa Fe County sheriff’s office in March by a man who said it could be related to Hutchins’ killing. Prosecutors said they deemed the ammo unrelated and unimportant, while Baldwin’s lawyers say investigators “buried” the evidence in a separate case file and filed a successful motion to dismiss.
    A judge in April sentenced movie weapons supervisor Hannah Gutierrez-Reed to the maximum of 1.5 years at a state penitentiary on an involuntary manslaughter conviction in Hutchins’ death.

Marlowe Sommer last month rejected Gutierrez-Reed’s request to dismiss her conviction or convene a new trial on allegations that prosecutors failed to share evidence that might have been exculpatory. She found that the armorer’s attorneys didn’t establish that there was a reasonable possibility that the outcome of the trial would have been different had the evidence been available to Gutierrez-Reed, who still has an appeal pending with a higher court.

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeR View Post
    It was the correct decision.
    Something to keep in mind everyone: Clyder is the type of person who wants a person's life ruined and have them locked up in jail for years if they say mean things, but they are perfectly okay with a far leftist Hollywood douchebag getting away with murder ("manslaughter") while the armorer on the movie set gets sent to prison for said Hollywood douchebag's act of murder.
    Last edited by Tgo01; 10-26-2024 at 07:05 PM.