Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Democratic Convention 2024

Bill Clinton just made the following claim. Do you believe him?

"You're going to have a hard time believing this, but so help me I triple checked it. Since the end of the Cold War in 1989 America has created about 51 million new jobs. I swear I checked this three times. Even I couldn't believe it. What's the score? Democrats 50, Republicans 1."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeR View Post
    Bill Clinton just made the following claim. Do you believe him?

"You're going to have a hard time believing this, but so help me I triple checked it. Since the end of the Cold War in 1989 America has created about 51 million new jobs. I swear I checked this three times. Even I couldn't believe it. What's the score? Democrats 50, Republicans 1."
    Weird, if you increase the population by 100 million people, they consume stuff.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Let's see what the fact checkers say this morning.

USA Today..
    Bill Clinton claim: Democratic presidents have created 50 million new jobs since 1989 compared to only 1 million for Republican presidents

“Since the end of the Cold War in 1989, America has created about 51 million new jobs. What's the score? Democrats 50, Republicans 1.”

This is correct. Since 1989, more than 51 million jobs have been created in the U.S., according to data from the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis. That data, examining total non-farm workers, shows about 50 million of those jobs were created under the presidencies of Bill Clinton, Barack Obama and Joe Biden, compared to about 1 million created under the presidencies of George H.W. Bush, George W. Bush and Donald Trump.

Those numbers vary slightly depending on whether you give the incoming or outgoing president credit for January figures as the new president is sworn in, and which dataset is used.

More...

Politifact..
    Mostly True.

The number of jobs created from 1989 through March 2024 — under Republican Presidents George H.W. Bush, George W. Bush and Donald Trump, and Democratic Presidents Bill Clinton, Barack Obama and Joe Biden — was 50.6 million. Of that number, a bit over 1 million, or about 2.6%, were created during the Republican presidencies.

Including the 617,000 jobs added since March, when we last fact-checked a claim like this, further tilts the Democratic advantage.

Some economic research supports the notion that the economy under Democrats has performed especially well, including a 2014 paper by Princeton University economists Alan Blinder and Mark Watson.

However, attributing job creation to policies or presidents isn’t clear cut. The Republican Congress of 1995 to 2001 might deserve some of the credit for the job growth under Clinton.

More...

CNN..
    Facts First: Clinton’s claim is true, although aspects such as timing, rounding, and large-scale national crises influence the math.

More...

Washington Post..
    This is a cleverly cherry-picked fact. Clinton starts with the end of the Cold War, presumably the fall of the Berlin Wall on Nov. 9, 1989, which (economically speaking) is somewhat arbitrary. Economic trends such as job growth are not determined by presidential terms but often economic forces beyond a president’s control.

Bureau of Labor Statistics data show that nearly 50 million jobs were created from November 1989 through July of this year.

By starting during George H.W. Bush’s term, Clinton skips over Ronald Reagan, a Republican who oversaw the creation of 16 million jobs.

More...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...us-since-2000/

They've also killed bout 50 million people in that time frame. "You're going to have a hard time believing this, but so help me I triple checked it."

25 in just the last two days right in front of their Convention Hall...

Civilized societies used to call this what it was - human sacrifice... today the term is "health care".

The "mobile van" = the "sacrificial altar".

The "convention" = the "masses gathering to watch".

Humans are a weird species.

And no you fucking morons - aborting a baby to save the mothers life, etc. is not included in this - it's the concept of killing babies as a form of contraception... pretty sick when you think about it, but hey... it's where we're at.

Interesting side note: This statistic was assembled from several editions of CDC's Abortion Surveillance. All figures are rounded. Overall trends presented in this table should be interpreted with caution because of the different numbers of reporting areas that provided data to CDC in different years. The following states did not report abortion data to CDC: California (2003–2019), Maryland (2007–2019), New Hampshire (2003–2019),

I wonder how many millions are missing from the total count... that's a LOT of years to not report.
    Last edited by Shaps; 08-22-2024 at 11:19 AM.

Washington Post..
    Man you know it's bad when even the Washington Post is calling out the bullshit of what a Democrat said.

Unless you're so dumb you actually thought that quote from the Washington Post painted Clinton's absurd nonsense in a positive light.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    Unless you're so dumb you actually thought that quote from the Washington Post painted Clinton's absurd nonsense in a positive light.
    Clinton's claim covers three Democratic presidents and three Republican presidents over approximately 36 years -- 20 years of Democrats and 16 years of Republicans. If you add Reagan to the mix, as the Washington Post suggested, then the score would be 50 million jobs created during 20 years of Democrats and 17 million jobs created during 24 years of Republicans. That's counting Biden as a full four years

Clinton's claim covers three Democratic presidents and three Republican presidents over approximately 36 years -- 20 years of Democrats and 16 years of Republicans. If you add Reagan to the mix, as the Washington Post suggested, then the score would be 50 million jobs created during 20 years of Democrats and 17 million jobs created during 24 years of Republicans. That's counting Biden as a full four years
    The Washington Post article also directly blames the (mostly Democrat) government shutdown for why Trump's numbers were negative. 20+ million jobs were lost because of the government during Trump's last term in office. Let's go ahead and add that to the 17 million and we're at 37 million jobs created during Republican's 16 years in office and we're at an average of 2.3m per year for Republicans. Let's subtract the 16m we are giving Joe Biden credit for when those are just jobs being "created" because the government is allowing people back to work, and we're at 34m for Democrats for an average of 1.7m jobs per year.

This is why you should stay away from math and numbers, you clearly don't understand them.

This is of course just looking at pure numbers, not looking at the conditions during those terms (Bill Clinton lucked out he was president during the dotcom era, he had literally nothing to do with that, and Bush happened to be president during a GLOBAL slowdown, again he had nothing to do with that.) The article you quoted even mentions all of this and calls it a "cleverly cherry-picked fact."

So I guess you are so dumb you actually thought this article was backing up Clinton's nonsense.
    Last edited by Tgo01; 08-22-2024 at 12:29 PM.

The Washington Post article also directly blames the (mostly Democrat) government shutdown for why Trump's numbers were negative.
    You're hallucinating. The article does not mention that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAFT View Post
    Hope you scumbags are mentally prepared for another 8 years of a black president. Obama wrecked you fuckers… I can only imagine what a black WOMAN is gonna do…

Aneurysm‘s and cardiac arrests for the lot of em!
    Why are people like you so obsessed with race? I know the real reason, just curious what excuse you have to justify it.

Why are people like you so obsessed with race? I know the real reason, just curious what excuse you have to justify it.
    Democrats have never gotten over us taking their slaves away.
    I asked for neither your Opinion,
    your Acceptance
    nor your Permission.

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." Dante Alighieri 3
    "It took 2000 mules to install one Jackass." Diamond and Silk Watch the Movie