Thread: Bazzelwyn Casting Gloves - mana cunsumed when absorbing wands

Default Bazzelwyn Casting Gloves - mana cunsumed when absorbing wands

I just recently remembered I had a pair of these gloves and I was looking to do an odd build around them. I go to use the gloves and they work like I remember, but I didn't realize they consume mana when you absorb a wand or rod into them. The cost of mana to absorb a wand into the gloves threw me for a loop and I had to rethink a build I'm working on because of the high mana draw some fully charged wands were costing.

I was curious to the mana costs because a fully charged metal wand cost 56 mana to absorb where as a fully charged aqua wand cost 24 mana to absorb, then a then a 12 charged aqua wand cost 7 mana to absorb......I looked on the wiki and there is no mention of mana being consumed when absorbing wands/rods for these casting gloves.

From what I can figure out if you want to know the mana it'll cost to absorb a wand into the casting gloves you need to use this:

trunc((Total Charges [the wand holds] * Spell Cost [cost of mana it takes to cast the spell based on spell level]) / 5) = Mana cost to absorb

Examples:
    40 charge aqua wand, spell 903 (3 mana a cast)
    trunc((40 x 3) / 5) = 24 - you need 24 mana to absorb this wand

40 charge blue wand, spell 1709 (9 mana a cast)
    trunc((40x9) / 5) = 72 - you need 72 mana to absorb this wand

29 charge twisted wand, spell 702 (2 mana a cast)
    trunc((29x2) / 5) = 11.6 - you need 11 mana to absorb this wand

14 charge crystal wand, spell 1710 (10 mana a cast)
    trunc((14x10) / 5) = 28 - you need 28 mana to absorb this wand

13 charge metal wand, spell 907 (7 mana a cast)
    trunc((13x7) / 5) = 18.2 - you need 18 mana to absorb this wand

40 charge thanot wand, spell 708 (8 mana a cast)
    trunc((40x8) / 5) = 64 - you need 64 mana to absorb this wand

I just figured I would share what I found for anyone else that was curious. I didn't try absorbing any wands that required more mana than my character had, but a fully charged crystal wand was close. Takes 80 mana to absorb a 40 charge crystal wand and my character only had 100 mana, damn near took all his mana just to absorb that wand.
    Last edited by drumpel; 07-11-2024 at 07:05 PM.

I have never noticed a mana draw when absorbing or using mine, but to be fair he was in his 90's when I got them, and I only got them to absorb oak wands so I can use a script to unstun party members. I am heading to work but tomorrow I will get some charged oak wands and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by kutter View Post
    I have never noticed a mana draw when absorbing or using mine, but to be fair he was in his 90's when I got them, and I only got them to absorb oak wands so I can use a script to unstun party members. I am heading to work but tomorrow I will get some charged oak wands and see what happens.
    I tried absorbing wands with my wizard and sorcerer, they both had the same mana drained when they did so and same amounts. I had to make sure that there wasn't a difference between professions and spell knowledge and so on.

Since oak wands use spell 108, a fully charged wand should draw 64 mana: trunc((40 x 8) /5) = 64

If you find some other results just post them here.

So it seems you are correct and the Wiki agrees, my wizard absorbed 13 charges into his gloves and it used 20 mana, I would have thought 21 but it seems to round down. But no mana use to activate them.

I guess I never noticed because it is only 20 mana or so and it is not something I ever payed attention to.

Once you have a wand absorbed into the gloves it doesn't cost any other mana because you're just basically using a wand. I think it's a bit wonky to have a mana requirement to absorb the wand from the get go, but maybe that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by drumpel View Post
    Once you have a wand absorbed into the gloves it doesn't cost any other mana because you're just basically using a wand. I think it's a bit wonky to have a mana requirement to absorb the wand from the get go, but maybe that's just me.
    I do not disagree but considering the changes to mana, wands became a lot less useful. I have a wand charging satchel sitting in a locker right now that is really no longer useful.

Quote Originally Posted by drumpel View Post
    I'm guessing the reasoning behind it is because you don't have to hold the wands in your hands like wand staves. I'd like to see an option to hide the gloves and or rework the staves so they don't look so naff, in their current incarnation they have to adhere to the 15/15/15 rule, a wand staff with the glowing orb script would be amazing.